Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The regular S25 is considerably bigger and is more of a Pro saw than the Micro series. They are all great little saws and are VERY powerful for their size.

Well bummer. Looks like I didn't do enough homework before buying. It's the S25CVA that I want. I'll just keep my eyes open. In the mean time, I'll be checking out this little micro and will let you goes know on the displacement when I get it.

Brad, Here are a couple pics of my S25CVA. They are 38cc (2.3ci.) with the on/off toggle switch on the case. The Micro version is 33cc (2.0ci.) I believe. Like Mike stated.

S25DA004.jpg

S25DA006.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

Gregg, I believe Brads is 2.3 ci and 38cc. Now I'm going by what's on his saw and my red Craftsman, which is essentially the same saw i.e Micro S25CVA. I re4call mark saying mine was similar to the 2300av thus think Brad's would be similar. Think we need a final judgement.
bob

Brad,

The regular S25 is considerably bigger and is more of a Pro saw than the Micro series. They are all great little saws and are VERY powerful for their size.

The ignition switch and the carb cover are the easy way to tell from a distance or in a picture.

The ignition switch on the S25 is like a 3400-4000 and is mounted through the case (except for the very early ones with the slide switch, but that's another story) while the micro switch is a stiff wire with a black "squared" knob that is mounted directly under the trigger.
The top cover on an S25 will have one screw right in the center, while the micro series will have two screws, one on each side.

The saws are completely different and have very few, if any, interchangeable parts.
The first little saw that I fixed up and gave to Sheila was a PP205 which is a micro variation.

It always tickles me to hear people say a 50 cc saw is to small to be a "general firewood" saw because I have known a couple of guys over the years that heated their house solely with wood and the only saw they had was a 38cc Poulan Micro!!!

Mike

Mike, I see what you are saying as my saw has more plastic the my S25DA. However do you agree that Brad's is a 38cc saw even if it is a Micro?
Bob

Can you guys confirm that the Husky large mount bars will fit the 4000 saw if I use an S spacer?
Bob

Yes Bob, It will work. I use a 24" large Husky bar on one of my 4000's. I think on this one I used some of those round (ring type) spacers I got from Mark. Had to file very slightly on the the bar groove, its a very snug fit.;)

The drive link count might be off a little, is the only problem using them. This one happens to be out towards the end of the adjustment range, but still able to tighten it. I have a 28" Husky bar on my 5200, but needed to get chain made with one less drive link to be able to tighten that one. Sure saves a little money to be able to run the same bar on couple different makes of saws.

100_0469.jpg

Gregg,

I'm certainly no "expert" on the many 25 series saws.:dizzy: As you can see from this pic, of the ones that I own. They are all S25DA's, 38cc, with the one on far right having the counter vibe handle. Same saws, but they all look different, from being from different years.

I think Mark will confirm that you might find all kinds of configurations in the 25 Micro & full size saws, simply cause they made them for so many years. Through in all the Micros, and 1800, 2000, 2300 types yet, and there is no end to the confusion.:D Not to mention the many Craftsman, Dayton, Etc, etc.

S25DA003.jpg

Gregg,

Last edited:
How in the world does then auto oiler work on a 3400??? I have the manual one working great but just don't see where or how the auto oiler works....I do get some oil oozing out of the hole with the cotter pin.

The auto oilier on the 3400 uses crank case pressure that works a rubber diaphragm. The manual and auto oilier is one unit.

3400 oiler

FWIW--I had a baffling non-functioning oiler on a 3700; had it in and out probably at least 4 times, no joy. Finally tracked it down to tiny--real tiny--pinhole in the diaphragm; could only be seen with a hand-lens when held up to bright light. Replaced diaphragm, oiler works like new. Didn't take long and same thing happened to my second 3700, but I'd been smart enough to order 2.--only had to take that one apart ONCE!

Thanks guys,

Diaphram is a little suspect and i believe it's the problem...

How about a chain question then...full skip or semi skip on an 18" bar set up?

Thanks guys,

The 3400 will handle an 18" with full comp chain just fine.:rock:
Another thing to ck on the oiler is the weighted pickup line. Have seen them crack & get brittle with age. So it might not pick up oil all the time, depending on how full or how the saw is tipped.
Gregg,

Kewl, full comp chain it is!!!

It manual oils like a champ so I eliminated oil pick-up tube and screen as issue. Am I wrong to do so?

Well as far as I can tell the Micros have more plastic, eg. fuel tank. I thought Micros were 2.0 as opposed to the 2.3 of the S25 class saw. Maybe yours is a newer saw. It looks exactly like my Craftsman, except for the color. My Craftsman is 2.3 cc and 38ccs whereas the Micros mentioned above are 33ccs, I believe. Now, Mark told me my saw was more like the Poulan 2300AV or CVA. I'd say yours is also similar which would make it a newer saw than the S25da or CVA made by Baird- Poulan as opposed to Poulan/Weedeater. Almost forgot that mine doesn't have an additional manual oiler which the older S25das have.

Bob, dangit, now you made me dig up my Poulan documents :laugh:

Brads saw is a Micro 25CVA introduced in 1979 and discontinued in 1982. They only made Micro 25CVA's as 2.0CI saws.

The Micro 2300 series did not come out untill 1982 so that is the first time they made a Micro with a 2.3CI engine.

Now I have never seen a Micro designated Micro S25CVA so that is a new one to me and I cannot find one listed with a S in it anywhere in all these Poulan doucuments.

As we are learning more and more with these old Poulans, nothing is set in stone so I would not bet the farm on the displacement on Brads saw, it could have been a limited run of them, who knows.

I'm leaning on it being a 2.0CI saw though.

Another thing I hear around here now and again is the Micros are newer then the 25 series, and thats not so, they made micros as early as 1976 so they were made at the same time as the regular 25 series saws so it is not newer then the S25 series saws.

The Poulan became Baird Poulan before it became Poulan Weedeater as well.

Now lets address,
"Now, Mark told me my saw was more like the Poulan 2300AV or CVA."

I said your saw was a 2300AV, I never said anything about the CVA model. There different.

Now Bob I aint picking on you or your post, it was just the easiest to point things out in.

To everyone else, I still cannot believe there is so much confusion between the Micro series and the 25 series. Except for the fact that there both lime green, there completly different saws.

They don't even look the same. Like Mike said, nothing interchanges except maybe the carb, the sparkplug and the bar and chain.

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

If your manual oiler is working correctly like you say, that means the check valves made into the pump are working correctly so that almost means it has to be the fault of the diaphragm.

Nice 71-A. Mines a blast to run, just make sure you have ear plugs in.

The short exhaust stack makes it easy to prime the cyl for starting after extended storage periods. Those dang HL carbs for some reasons need primed somtimes.

Nice little saw. I generally rip the ignition out of those models and throw the rest of the saw away.

I hear you, there not my favorites, but they were the best compared to the compition in there class back then.

My grandfather use to cut firewood with a micro. He used it for years without a working oilier. He had a gallon can of oil and periodically dipped the bar into it. Back in the day they were a fine home owner saw, but now the super 25 is very easy to find for about the same money. I think I have about 30 new clutches that will fit a micro. I know I will end up throwing them away, but it is hard to see new parts get trashed. I also think I have several new pistons for a micro as well. If anyone wants one you can have one.

My grandfather use to cut firewood with a micro. He used it for years without a working oilier. He had a gallon can of oil and periodically dipped the bar into it. Back in the day they were a fine home owner saw, but now the super 25 is very easy to find for about the same money. I think I have about 30 new clutches that will fit a micro. I know I will end up throwing them away, but it is hard to see new parts get trashed. I also think I have several new pistons for a micro as well. If anyone wants one you can have one.

Thanks, for the offer, I don't think I need any pistons, if there that bad I don't mess with them.

I need a piston for a oversized sunbelt cyl for a 245 though. :ices_rofl:

Getting ready to do a couple Poulan XX saws, might need some parts for them. Got any XX parts?

How much bigger is that 245 cylinder? You might be able to make a 54 piston work. I do have some DA parts. What do you need. I even think I have some new cranks of all things.

Latest posts

Back