Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is probably a worthless saw for anything but limning and cleaning up small stuff but here it is!!
IMG_20110516_163456.jpg

Exhaust looks too restricted to me
IMG_4651.jpg

IMG_4661.jpg

I opened it up a little and modded the muffler
IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4711.jpg

Muffler Mod
IMG_4712.jpg

IMG_4713.jpg

I also drilled out the baffle plate. I think I might remove it all together...I am not sure yet.

Back together with a new Oregon pro 91 bar. I am just waiting on the new 91VXL from Oregon to try.

IMG_4714.jpg

I know this is probably a worthless saw for anything but limning and cleaning up small stuff but here it is!!
IMG_20110516_163456.jpg

I opened it up a little and modded the muffler
IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4711.jpg

Back together with a new Oregon pro 91 bar. I am just waiting on the new 91VXL from Oregon to try.

IMG_4714.jpg

I'm afraid you might have gone too far.
That exhaust looks awfully high to me!
Porting is a lot like Brylcream,..."A little dab'll do ya!"
They are actually a very nice little saws.
I hope that one will still have enough power to cut.

Mike

I'm afraid you might have gone too far.
That exhaust looks awfully high to me!
Porting is a lot like Brylcream,..."A little dab'll do ya!"
They are actually a very nice little saws.
I hope that one will still have enough power to cut.

Mike

I agree that I might have gone too far on the top. It runs okay...I want to see what it does with the new chain. Added more fuel on the H and that seemed to help so let's see.

I'm with Moparman, you actually changed the exhaust timing on that saw, would of been better to just widen the port.

By opening the top of the exhaust port you go into cylinder blowdown earlier, I guess this would be alright if you ported your transfers a touch. I usually leave the top and bottom of the ports alone and just widen the port to the size of the outlet.

BTW I actually like the 36cc 2150s. There very popular on ebay and seem to get good money. All type 4s and up are 42cc like the Wildthing.

just finished getting my 2000 cleaned up and running. now i need to find a handle cover, clutch drum/bearing, bar & chain (prefer 12" or 14"). anyone got any leads except fleabay?

You can get the clutch drum, bearing, and good B/C sets cheap for these saws from Baileys. Check the 'closeouts' section for REALLY cheap bars.

2150 freeby stuff.

Since I scrapped four 2150(ish) to make one good one, I have leftovers if anyone needs parts.
carbs...2
flywheels.....2
ignitions....2
clutchs/drum sprockets...........3
mufflers....2
carb insulator plastic thing.........2
recoil housing..........2 plus one from a woodshark, a little different
woodshark(ish) top cover
oil pump or two
clutch cover w/chainbrake......1

B.T.W. The 42cc engine drops into the 36cc chassis if you didn't know it already.

Like to replace the gray clutch cover on this; View attachment 184752 with a dark green one to match the rest of the chassis.

Last edited:
just finished getting my 2000 cleaned up and running. now i need to find a handle cover, clutch drum/bearing, bar & chain (prefer 12" or 14"). anyone got any leads except fleabay?

I just went to Google and did a search on 'craigslist poulan 2000' ... here is one

A bunch showed up for cheep; see if they will ship. Make sure you see ALL the craigslist results by clicking the 'more results from ...' or 'see all results from ...'

Hope it helps!

Weird day yesterday. I frequent the local pawn shops because I am a tool and brass instrument hound. I was looking for an airless paint sprayer and walked into the second pawn shop of the day and glanced over at their shelf of saws - usually overpriced box-store stuff. What did I see? It was on consignment from the local small engine repair guy, so I drove over there and haggled a bit - but just a little bit because I wanted it.

It's a runner. I forgot all about the sprayer.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

3700cv / 358.354830

First off, thanks for all the tweaking/tuning information, as it will save me cutting a cylinder base gasket; I checked squish without a gasket in place and it comes out at about 0.026".

Since I've got the thing stripped down, I'd like to touch up the paint work. Does anyone have suggestions on where to source Craftsman red (or some facsimile thereof)?

Also, what are the torquing specs for the crankcase and cylinder base bolts on the 3700? (do these get any threadlocker/sealant?)

Thanks much,
-j.

You can get the clutch drum, bearing, and good B/C sets cheap for these saws from Baileys. Check the 'closeouts' section for REALLY cheap bars.

I just went to Google and did a search on 'craigslist poulan 2000' ... here is one

A bunch showed up for cheep; see if they will ship. Make sure you see ALL the craigslist results by clicking the 'more results from ...' or 'see all results from ...'

Hope it helps!

thanks for heads-ups. the cl had already been deleted. will check cl and baileys out though.

Picked up a couple nice NOS 16" roller nosed bars!

They were listed on Ebay as a Mac bar but they sure looked like the original Poulan bars. The seller has some more if anyone wants any. For a $20 BIN there not too bad.

Well I'm not sure there NOS Poulan or not but they will fit just like them! I think I will fit a 306 or something with them.

Here they are with a original Poulan branded 16" roller bar.

184907d1306113768-dscf0558-custom-jpg

Back