Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She HATES the 163 chassis(MB chassis codes for the non MB guys), so its probably gonna be an ML550 or 63 for her. If I was gonna have my way, it would be G55, but that's a little overkill for her, and the gas mileage would suck!

I would probably go pickup truck if I was going away from the sedans, most likely one of those Ecoboost F150s, but I honestly love driving performance German sedans. My E gets driven year-round with the proper winter tires and the only time I've had a snow problem since owning it was that big blizzard in Feb 2011.

Nick

Somebody got a great deal on a really nice Dayton/Poulan. IIRC it's the same saw as a Poulan 400. I REALLY hope it was one of the Poulan tribe here who got that saw. I was in the auction for a while, but waived off as I've got other irons in the fire. Wanted the saw, but you can't have everything...:D

Dayton MD 2Z462A /poulan 400 | eBay

Somebody got a great deal on a really nice Dayton/Poulan. IIRC it's the same saw as a Poulan 400. I REALLY hope it was one of the Poulan tribe here who got that saw. I was in the auction for a while, but waived off as I've got other irons in the fire. Wanted the saw, but you can't have everything...:D

I had one of those, couldn't get it to run right and put it on ebay for sale. I must admit the buyers weren't that enthusiastic for mine! Must be my advertisement technique, or lack of one. I think mine went for about $30. I figured it was par for the course with a Poulan, buyers still relate all Poulan saws to the Wild Thing, I guess.

I still have a 2z463 which does run well but it gets to stay here.

Not me, but I was thinking about it. Looked like a good one.

Hi guys, Im a newbie here Im from eastern connecticut and I love poulan chainsaws. I put some pics of my PP505 with a west coast kit in the attachment area of this post, but im new to forums so Im not sure if its gonna work. Anyway I hope I can learn some things from you guys I know Ive got plenty of questions
-Derek

Hi guys, Im a newbie here Im from eastern connecticut and I love poulan chainsaws. I put some pics of my PP505 with a west coast kit in the attachment area of this post, but im new to forums so Im not sure if its gonna work. Anyway I hope I can learn some things from you guys I know Ive got plenty of questions
-Derek

It could be the kind of files you have there. Don't know for sure but I've never heard of bmp.

That explains why I've not heard about it...I'm using this antique computer with XP. Kinda like an Underwood typewriter.

A BMP file is an old windows specific file format. It was around even before XP.

XP is seriously deprecated now, you are gonna get pwned if you keep using it on the internetz..just sayin...

I don't run windows nuthin like forever, always been too much of a security risk and PITA to use, IMO, but I used to work on everything. The IT security industry *loves* windows, they make so much money off of viruses and trojans, etc. Wicked cash cow.

I only run open source now, junkers I build from used/free/cheap parts, then linux for the operating system and applications. Sorta like saws, buy cheap stuff, busted stuff, etc, use brain power and some tools to make it work good.

-Derek

I was able to bring your pictures up ok. Nice looking saw.

A BMP file is an old windows specific file format. It was around even before XP.

XP is seriously deprecated now, you are gonna get pwned if you keep using it on the internetz..just sayin...

I don't run windows nuthin like forever, always been too much of a security risk and PITA to use, IMO, but I used to work on everything. The IT security industry *loves* windows, they make so much money off of viruses and trojans, etc. Wicked cash cow.

I only run open source now, junkers I build from used/free/cheap parts, then linux for the operating system and applications. Sorta like saws, buy cheap stuff, busted stuff, etc, use brain power and some tools to make it work good.

I agree with you about XP,its an old and weathered operating system.I desagree with you where you say that viruses and trojans love windows.I am using windows,XP for a while and then windows seven,since 2008.I've never had problems with viruses.Not even once.I am using my computer almost 10 hours a day,6-7 of them for browsing.If you know where to browse and what you get,you are safe 100% even without an antivirus.If someone hit all the time the messages which are saying you are the great winner,hit here to see what you won(all these silly messages on several sites) or if someone get programes from the first site he see,he can't accuse Micro$ost or Avast etc for anything (i am not speaking personally).I believe that all this hapened,viruses trojans etc,because Windows is more (in fact the most) popular platform.Linux (in fact Linux is the Kernel,ubuntu is the operating sustem) which in my opinion is better and more stable than windows (Micro$oft tryied to change that with seven and i think that achieved it), is more tough to work with and less friendly.Anyway,i am completely off topic.

Last edited:
Finally got the new decals for the 655 and got em put on today.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That's mean you have a top cover decal for me.:rock: Now, we gotta get the BP topend back on my 655.

Chris B.

I agree with you about XP,its an old and weathered operating system.I desagree with you where you say that viruses and trojans love windows.I am using windows,XP for a while and then windows seven,since 2008.I've never had problems with viruses.Not even once.I am using my computer almost 10 hours a day,6-7 of them for browsing.If you know where to browse and what you get,you are safe 100% even without an antivirus.If someone hit all the time the messages which are saying you are the great winner,hit here to see what you won(all these silly messages on several sites) or if someone get programes from the first site he see,he can't accuse Micro$ost or Avast etc for anything (i am not speaking personally).I believe that all this hapened,viruses trojans etc,because Windows is more (in fact the most) popular platform.Linux (in fact Linux is the Kernel,ubuntu is the operating sustem) which in my opinion is better and more stable than windows (Micro$oft tryied to change that with seven and i think that achieved it), is more tough to work with and less friendly.Anyway,i am completely off topic.

Ubuntu is one operating system using the linux kernel, there are hundreds really. I've dozens of different ones.

I disagree on the windows, there are at any time tens of millions of them out there acting as zombie spam spewers and so on. any number of even professional shops have been nailed hard over the years. In fact, the feds are considering taking off line around half a million computers running windows on or around march 8th this year, because of a dns spoofer on them that even pros have a hard time getting rid of. Fortune 500 companies, government agencies and private individuals. And these are with highly paid professional IT guys on staff watching over things.

Just because you haven't had any problems, doesn't mean millions haven't, heck it is hundreds of millions if you look globally. Look at all the shops setup to remove viruses and so on, every little city on up to major metro areas has them. It's a huge industry. It's been endemic ever since MS finagled their way to the top, because they just didn't give crap one about security and their software designs proved that for years and years. heck, gates thought the net was a flash in the pan and wouldn't last..... IMO, grade C systems at best, with a caveat I ain't touched any of the newer versions, and have zero inclination to do so. I understand they are better now, but my retort is "about freeking time..."

I started using them back during DOS days, then went GUI with macs (but still repaired MS), then when mac went to a unixy styled system OSX I went heck with it, cheap hardware and linux. And it's OK to just say linux, any nerd knows what you mean.

Anyway, this isn't slashdot or fark or any other geek site so that's about it discussing computer related issues for me, I don't want to go on an offtopic rant, because I know me and that's exactly where it will go. I just *despise* MS and windows. I think the government should have busted MS a long time ago, busted them up into different divisions and jailed a lot of top execs. They are right up in my top ten evile companies I don't like based on past dubious and crooked corporate practices, let alone just rank engineering, selling lemons for big bucks with no warranty and getting away with it, making hundreds of billions..

But, to each their own, people can run what they want. Don't bother me much anymore. It used to, but not anymore. ;) ;) ;)

I'm a nerd but a blue collar outdoors loving type of nerd. I like saws/wood cutting and playing with my critters and gardening and farming and fishing and target shooting, etc, better than dorking around with boxes. I still do it, but it isn't as much fun for me as it used to be...kinda..like tools, I get snap on quality for free running what I run, so I sure ain't gonna pay snap-on prices for like harbor freight quality. They got the vast public faked out this is a good deal, keep making MS richer..I don't think so, not for this boy..

Back to saws, I just found out a neat tip I am going to post.

Wild Thing / Predator type saws, oiler fixing

I just found out something today that proly a lot of you real experienced guys know about, but I didn't, and maybe save some newbs some cash and hassle.

The oilers on these saws have a spring looking drive gear that snaps into a groove on the crankshaft. The plunger with the plastic fins/gears in the oiler assembly gets turned by this.

The spring looking dohickey can go out of place! It doesn't take much at all to go from oiling fine to no oil or not enough. Like some oily crud gets in there and pushes it a little, poof, no oil or little oil.

I had one I cleaned out good, put it back together, cut some tanks, then quit oiling again. Grumble, OK, went and got a kit in town. In the kit is a new spring dealie, they make a big point MATCH THE SPACING. Now I glance down at my old one still on the shaft, YEP, the spacing was out of "true", and not by much, just a teeny amount, but "enough" so it didn't grab good. I didn't even replace that thing, just took a screw driver and rearranged the coils so they were parallel and spaced correctly to fit the plastic fins. I went ahead and put the other new stuff on, because I had it, but tell ya, the old stuff still looks real good shape so I'll keep it for when it is REALLY worn out. What a difference, slinging oil like the Fonz at a dance contest.

Looking at the recoil cover on Mark's 655 reminded me.:msp_tongue: Dose anyone know if the Poulan Pro yellow, or gold paint, whatever you want to call it, still available? I know the subject of Poulan green comes up quite a bit. I don't recall ever seeing it anywhere.

Oh, and by the way. I still use Windows XP Pro also..LOL I'll keep using it, till it won't work any more. I use a couple old IBM Thinkpad notebook pc's. Works great, never had a virus in all these years. Maybe I don't frequent "#### sites" enough, not counting Arboristsite!! :D:D:D

:cheers:
Gregg,

That's mean you have a top cover decal for me.:rock: Now, we gotta get the BP topend back on my 655.

Chris B.

Yeps thats mean I got your decal! :hmm3grin2orange: Got it clear coated also. I want in on the top end job, so I can see whats inside of it.

Looking at the recoil cover on Mark's 655 reminded me.:msp_tongue: Dose anyone know if the Poulan Pro yellow, or gold paint, whatever you want to call it, still available? I know the subject of Poulan green comes up quite a bit. I don't recall ever seeing it anywhere.

Oh, and by the way. I still use Windows XP Pro also..LOL I'll keep using it, till it won't work any more. I use a couple old IBM Thinkpad notebook pc's. Works great, never had a virus in all these years. Maybe I don't frequent "#### sites" enough, not counting Arboristsite!! :D:D:D

:cheers:
Gregg,

Not sure about the paint, doubt if you find it in a spray bomb. Arrowhead may have a paint code for it or he is working on it anyway.

Latest posts

Back