Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You mean after splitting the case.?

Yes. See if something else could fit in there. If the dividers are a problem like they appear to be, try something else. I don't see it as much different from say..having a known factory carb issue and making another better carb fit.

I hear what you are saying, I also like a good deal on any saw, it is hard to pass up a Poulan 8500 for $20, let alone 3. The fun for me is getting my POS $20 saw to run and cut wood as it was originally intended, unfortunately having as many saws as I do either makes me a collector or a hoarder and luckily for me people collect chainsaws and guns so I am a collector. Some day I would like to get into the restoration side of collecting.

That's all I am doing is scoring good deals and trying to make them run. Some I know I can but the parts are an issue now, so back under the bench until I can get them. I am liking the older poulans as they, so far anyway, seem the easiest to get back into action.

I am just accumulating runners and parts saws, I don't really care what make/model, I go by deal or not a deal. Get enough parts saws, you can make a runner, better then those saws going to the dump or scrappers. I have to cut here, so it is good for me to have various sizes of good runners. Eventually, I would like to have a modest shop, so this is my "stock" I am getting. And as I get the stuff, I learn more by working on them.

I am experienced enough to understand all of the technical jargon used above, but for the good of the group and the intention of this forum, I feel it is somewhat un-neccessary. It is probably best if we put this topic to bed.

I apologize to the group for my unnecessary use of the word "radial".

I'm fine with bedding the ring discussion, but seeing as you asked a question, I'll go ahead and answer.

(why does the expanding gas want to end up in the ring groove?)

The gas doesn't want to end up in the ring groove, YOU want the expanding gas to end up in the ring groove. During combustion, the pressure forces the ring onto the bottom land, and it is the pressure behind the ring, forcing it towards the cylinder wall, that generates the seal. When a conventional ring flutters, and is forced onto the top land, the expanding gas can't get behind the ring, and the ring tension itself is far too weak to make a proper seal. That's where the "L", or "Dykes" ring still has the capability to seal, because it's shape allows gas behind it, even when it is forced against the top land.

In my search for hi-po parts for my 289 Mustang, I was looking at Summit Racing. They have a House of Kolor paint kit with a base and clear available in Limelight Green but it's in a pearl. Anybody think that would look real out of place on a shelfqueen Poulan? I'm tempted to see what it looks like.

Nick

In my search for hi-po parts for my 289 Mustang, I was looking at Summit Racing. They have a House of Kolor paint kit with a base and clear available in Limelight Green but it's in a pearl. Anybody think that would look real out of place on a shelfqueen Poulan? I'm tempted to see what it looks like.

Nick

Yeah Nick it would.

Limelight was the 1971 color and it is a LOT lighter than the SubLime they used in 1970.
Limelight is almost as light as lime sherbert, nothing at all like Poulan green.

Mike

I have a suggestion. If you are really serious about the paint color on an older Poulan you want to restore then take a piece that still has good paint to an automotive paint supply and they can color match it for you just like they would for autos. It is pricey but they can get a paint that is pretty darn close and you can get it in a wide variety of paint types. Like acrylic enamels or the newer two stage type paints that require a clear coat.

I have a suggestion. If you are really serious about the paint color on an older Poulan you want to restore then take a piece that still has good paint to an automotive paint supply and they can color match it for you just like they would for autos. It is pricey but they can get a paint that is pretty darn close and you can get it in a wide variety of paint types. Like acrylic enamels or the newer two stage type paints that require a clear coat.

You can do it if you like, but we already have and what we came up with is FJ-5 1970 Plymouth sublime.

Mike

Yeah Nick it would.

Limelight was the 1971 color and it is a LOT lighter than the SubLime they used in 1970.
Limelight is almost as light as lime sherbert, nothing at all like Poulan green.

Mike

I'm partial to Metalflake myself. This thread gave me an idea, a Poulan 25SD in Limelight Metalflake with 15 coats of clear on top!

I found a craftsman version of the 1800 poulan at the scrap heap, blew off the dust checked for spark and looked at the muffler, put gas in it and it fired on the 4 th pull. the saw is missing the clutch cover and carb cover but is all there otherwise and the carb needs attention.

I'm partial to Metalflake myself. This thread gave me an idea, a Poulan 25SD in Limelight Metalflake with 15 coats of clear on top!

Now that would be the hit of any chainsaw gathering. That also might make joe25da alittle jealous.

I don't know so much about that but I'll bet it would go over REAL big around Gary, Indiana!!!

Mike

Now that would be the hit of any chainsaw gathering. That also might make joe25da alittle jealous.

I doubt he'd be jealous of any saws I might have but who knows? I did once have a two tone VW white and metalflake blue, did the paint myself. Nice little car but the paint didn't hold up in this Indiana weather (daily driver). Had to take it back off eventually and paint it black.

To Mark mostly, and others also:

The lathe work is done on these, I took some video. I can't mill the hex this week, Mill dept. is booked solid until mid next week. I will post a
youtube video after they are complete. made 50 of them. ......They're pretty shiny...... :)

Bought a new "forklift" today, Its 70hp, orange, 4wd cab,air,heat......3pt hitch. M7040, hydraulic shuttle, like this one..........

Kubota M7040 HDC Tractor - YouTube

Having a pretty good day,

KJC:cool2:

I just got a little orange tractor too, mine's only got 10 hp, but it does burn erl. ;)

pups 002 by robzuk5, on Flickr

... in an almost related question on tanks, has anyone tried Kreem?

... and it looks like someone has been reading their copy of the 2-stroke tuner's handbook (which I wish I read earlier... I could have then properly stated, and not gotten crap, that removing the gasket under the jug does indeed increase the exhaust stroke - - terminology)

Harsh! Funny, but harsh!

I hope he wasn't talking about spraying that huge glitter on in-between the base coat and the clear, that stuff never looks good unless its on a bass boat. I hope he was talking about a little heavy metallic.

Nick

Harsh! Funny, but harsh!

I hope he wasn't talking about spraying that huge glitter on in-between the base coat and the clear, that stuff never looks good unless its on a bass boat. I hope he was talking about a little heavy metallic.

Nick

The metalflake I painted with on my car was little flakes that you mix in with clear paint. You paint it over a base coat of similar color then shoot some more clear over it. On a chainsaw it probably wouldn't hold up too well. Best to just stick with regular paint on a chainsaw.

That reminds me of a Lamborghini that spent some time with me. Verde Ithaca was the color, it was like a metallic lime green with a pearl clear. I spent an hour trying to figure out that paint in all sorts of light. That color would make one hell of an 8500.

Nick

Latest posts

Back