Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know it's not a Poulan but all the smart guys are here and the tuning question applies to saws as well. I just rebuilt my Husqvarna 25 cc trimmer, it has a Walbro WT. I cuts good and it idles good but after 20 seconds or so it slows way down sometimes it recovers and sometimes it dies. What could be wrong? It's like it gets fuel starved every once and awhile.

Any ideas?

Maladjusted L needle? Dirt in there? You could take it out and inspect it, maybe it got mashed sometime. While it is out you can blast some carb spray in there. Is the idle set correctly?

Tune those engines when hot, see if that makes a difference, and always check the mufflers for obstructions or a gunked up screen. the smaller the engine, the more sensitive they are to a gunked up screen has been my experience. I prefer to retain my spark screens, so I just burn them out now regularly with the propane torch.

Lazy man's fast carb clean you can do if it has a primer is dump the old mix out back in your can or your mower, whatever, put a few ounces of new mix and then an ounce or two of seafoam in the tank. Hit that purge bulb like fifty times, just keep sucking the seafoam mixture through it for a few minutes, then let it sit overnight. Dump that stuff back in the can, shake it all up good (or, like before, into the mower can), now fill the tank like normal and run it.

Modified Mark created a thread and called me out for not posting these sooner .... I put 'em there, but it's probably more correct to put 'em here .... enjoy!

GEDC0166.jpg

Ted, that is a beautiful saw, but I see it has an imperfection. One of the cylinder fins looks a little bent - I guess that means it is worthless to you serious collectors. Would you take $20.00 for it? I could use it as a parts saw.:msp_tongue:

Al.

I'm having a carb issue as well. The primer bulb won't pick up.

New bulb and the kit is less than a year old. I took it apart. I found there were two layers of the thin flapper material on the fuel pump side. Took that down to one thinking maybe that was keeping the flappers from sealing off correctly. No go. I took it back apart. The flapper material does seem a bit stiff.

The engine is about 14 years old or so.

When I try to pull air through the outlet check valve it seems very difficult... Do the check valves on the inlet/outlet just quit? If so, how does one pull the dammits to correct?

thanks in advance, Vic.

Modified Mark created a thread and called me out for not posting these sooner .... I put 'em there, but it's probably more correct to put 'em here .... enjoy!

Ted, that is a beautiful saw, but I see it has an imperfection. One of the cylinder fins looks a little bent - I guess that means it is worthless to you serious collectors. Would you take $20.00 for it? I could use it as a parts saw.:msp_tongue:

Al.

Thanks Al! Tell you what we can do ... since the fin doesn't bother you so much and Aaron insists the 'color doesn't fit in with my collection' ... You snag that yellow Dolmar off eBay in Oz, then we can trade even-up .... sound good? :jester: :jester: :jester:

Guys, I got a 2900 that quit oiling and I don't know why. I couldn't see anything wrong with the old pump, but I changed it with a pump off a husky that I know was oiling and it still won't pump.

I blew air through both rubber blocks, cleaned the little screen on the end of the hose, the plastic gear is in good shape and it seems to be meshing with the worm gear properly. It seems like it almost has to work, but it doesn't. Anybody have any idea what I'm missing? I really like this little saw and would like to use it more.

hmmmm

Guys, I got a 2900 that quit oiling and I don't know why. I couldn't see anything wrong with the old pump, but I changed it with a pump off a husky that I know was oiling and it still won't pump.

I blew air through both rubber blocks, cleaned the little screen on the end of the hose, the plastic gear is in good shape and it seems to be meshing with the worm gear properly. It seems like it almost has to work, but it doesn't. Anybody have any idea what I'm missing? I really like this little saw and would like to use it more.

Waiting!!!!:popcorn:

how's the hole on your bar look?

Oil tank vent? Oil pickup hose new? It might have a little crack in it you can't see.

Did you run the saw with the bar and clutch cover off to see if it was getting oil with no resistance?

Mike

I'm having a carb issue as well. The primer bulb won't pick up.
===
fixed it. at least two issues with my last rebuild. the welch plug was leaking a little - - sealed it up with nail polish. the inlet needle arm was too low - - the carb had two 'levels' and I set it at the lower one the first time. After reading a bit more I raised it to the proper level.

pumps like a boss.

----
Yes. It won't pump squat. With either pump. I don't understand.

oil pump worm gear spinning on the shaft... broken, mangled, misaligned badly? most likely not binding since the secondary gear isn't boogered up.

... and it USED to oil, right? anything exciting happen around the time it quit?

oil pump worm gear spinning on the shaft... broken, mangled, misaligned badly? most likely not binding since the secondary gear isn't boogered up.

... and it USED to oil, right? anything exciting happen around the time it quit?

I never thought of the worm gear spinning on the shaft, but it's tight, too tight to turn by hand anyway. It oiled when I got it, but I didn't have the right bar for it, so it sat on the shelf for a bit. Now it won't oil at all, but no, nothing happened that I can think of. I haven't used it that much.

Chris, what color is the oil pumps you tried? The later versions were white and seemed to work better. Yeah your plastic teeth on the gear on the oiler probably look good but the problem with these, especially the black ones was the slot on that plastic gear that runs on the post, gets wore and wont let it move in and out to pump the oil.

This may not be your problem but is worth checking. New pumps are cheap for these.......

I never thought of the worm gear spinning on the shaft, but it's tight, too tight to turn by hand anyway. It oiled when I got it, but I didn't have the right bar for it, so it sat on the shelf for a bit. Now it won't oil at all, but no, nothing happened that I can think of. I haven't used it that much.

Well my bet is that it is leaking where the pickup tube meets the pump.
The pickup in the Husky should be solid where the 2900 pickup and delivery tube are 2 seperate units.

Pull the pickup out of the Husky and stick it in the Poulan. Yes I know the pickup tube points the wrong direction but it won't matter.
Fill the Poulan completely up with oil and run it without the bar, chain and clutch cover.

When you get oil, you will know that the pickup tube will have to be replaced.
They are REAL cheap!

Mike

Chris, what color is the oil pumps you tried? The later versions were white and seemed to work better. Yeah your plastic teeth on the gear on the oiler probably look good but the problem with these, especially the black ones was the slot on that plastic gear that runs on the post, gets wore and wont let it move in and out to pump the oil.

This may not be your problem but is worth checking. New pumps are cheap for these.......

My pumps are both black Mark. Yeah I was thinking that I may as well get a new one and get it over with. The pump will work on the bench in a jar, so maybe you're right, it's not getting enough back and forth motion on the saw.

Well my bet is that it is leaking where the pickup tube meets the pump.
The pickup in the Husky should be solid where the 2900 pickup and delivery tube are 2 seperate units.

Pull the pickup out of the Husky and stick it in the Poulan. Yes I know the pickup tube points the wrong direction but it won't matter.
Fill the Poulan completely up with oil and run it without the bar, chain and clutch cover.

When you get oil, you will know that the pickup tube will have to be replaced.
They are REAL cheap!

Mike

I will check that as well.

Thanks Al! Tell you what we can do ... since the fin doesn't bother you so much and Aaron insists the 'color doesn't fit in with my collection' ... You snag that yellow Dolmar off eBay in Oz, then we can trade even-up .... sound good? :jester: :jester: :jester:

Ted, I would love to swap but I can't this time as I committed not to bid.:hmm3grin2orange:
Actually, someone else has indicated they are going for it. And what is it with the price of the 166's? I put Chris on to one last year for $500.00. He was happy to pay but I thought it excessive. I love Dollies but not that much.

I reckon I will pick one up for a fairer price if I keep looking. There was a power of big Macs sold in Australia and there must have been a lot of Partners and Dolmars amongst them. They will be just sitting in farmers' sheds waiting for me to come along and find them. And when I do you had better be nice to me!

Al.

Latest posts

Back