Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The most serious problems I've had with mine is the 2 intake bolts vibrating loose. The RPM's seem to 'flutter' while in the cut from the saw leaning out. Loc-tite will cure it if found soon enough. Probably best to do this before there is a problem.

The Patriot had a problem that the muffler wouldn't stay bolted on. I added an extra bolt through the dimple into the block. As it turns out , the case bolts from the bottom of a donor saw are the right length for this. A piece of 5/16" steel fuel line, the same length as the diffuser, worked perfectly for the internal support.

:cheers:

Thanks Chris !!!
That should get me going, I hope..:)
Anything I can do for ya, just holler!

Gregg,

Gregg, recheck your lo and hi settings. Two open is too much. More like 1-1.5. I'd also relook at carb rebuild. You did say you rebuilt it correct? If you're not getting any fuel either your pump side diaphragm is bad or your metering needle isn't opening. Usually these saws start right up.

Gregg, recheck your lo and hi settings. Two open is too much. More like 1-1.5. I'd also relook at carb rebuild. You did say you rebuilt it correct? If you're not getting any fuel either your pump side diaphragm is bad or your metering needle isn't opening. Usually these saws start right up.

Thanks Bob, I'll do some more investigating with it later, when this weather calms down. Dang high winds, snow, and cold. Have drift in front of garage right now, thats at least 5-6'.:censored:

I just put the kit in the carb, but no joy, so will check, or change the needle settings, and that little rod inside the carb with the spring, and see if height change on that will help. As I understand it, the higher that rod is, the more fuel will be delivered, and the lower it is below carb body, not enough fuel.

This one has a Walbro as opposed to the Tilloston that I usually see listed for these saws. I'm assuming they are basicley the same.
This is first type of saw I delt with, with the reed valve set up also, so thats something foreign to me also,...LOL

Thanks for the words of help.

Gregg,

Thanks Bob, I'll do some more investigating with it later, when this weather calms down. Dang high winds, snow, and cold. Have drift in front of garage right now, thats at least 5-6'.:censored:

I just put the kit in the carb, but no joy, so will check, or change the needle settings, and that little rod inside the carb with the spring, and see if height change on that will help. As I understand it, the higher that rod is, the more fuel will be delivered, and the lower it is below carb body, not enough fuel.

This one has a Walbro as opposed to the Tilloston that I usually see listed for these saws. I'm assuming they are basicley the same.
This is first type of saw I delt with, with the reed valve set up also, so thats something foreign to me also,...LOL

Thanks for the words of help.

Gregg,

Gregg, think you have the WA carb. Initial settings are 1/1/4 turn open. Also the metering lever should be set level with the circuit plate. See attached info.
Bob

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...0a30155978cf932588256e1900194bff?OpenDocument

Walbro has a web site that tells a lot about their carbs. www.walbro.com I keep it bookmarket and look at it occasionally. Did you clean the carb well before you installed the new kit? I usually soak them in carb cleaner for awhile (don't soak the little spring, it dissolves) then dip it in hot water, then blow it out with compressed air. Haven't had any trouble that way. Also check the height of the diaphragm lever.

The kit that I got for this carb is suppose to do either WA or WT carbs
When I did it, I just used the same type gaskets, parts etc. that were in this carb to start with. Lot of different stuff in this kit..:dizzy:

Makes ya wonder when ya get one of these old saws, what someone before me, did with it. There were no fuel lines on it at all. So, sombody obviously started on it, and must have gave up.

Gregg,

Walbro has a web site that tells a lot about their carbs. www.walbro.com I keep it bookmarket and look at it occasionally. Did you clean the carb well before you installed the new kit? I usually soak them in carb cleaner for awhile (don't soak the little spring, it dissolves) then dip it in hot water, then blow it out with compressed air. Haven't had any trouble that way. Also check the height of the diaphragm lever.

When I disassembled it, I cleaned it with a spray carb cleaner and compessed air, as I usually do. Might do it again, just to be sure though. Wouldn't hurt.:)
Thanks for the link too, I think I have that bookmarked also.

Gregg,

The kit that I got for this carb is suppose to do either WA or WT carbs
When I did it, I just used the same type gaskets, parts etc. that were in this carb to start with. Lot of different stuff in this kit..:dizzy:

Makes ya wonder when ya get one of these old saws, what someone before me, did with it. There were no fuel lines on it at all. So, sombody obviously started on it, and must have gave up.

Gregg,

Greg, the WT carb was used on them as well as the WA so what you have is probably right. Later models even had Zama carbs.

Like Bob said, 2 turns out on the needles are a bit much, I useally start at 1 1/4 out which maybe a little rich but should get it going.

Be carefull following Mr Palmers advice on blowing out these carbs, as some have nozzles and check valves that can be destroyed with too much air pressure and can turn a carb to junk real quick.

It might be time to invest in a metering lever gauge for these little carbs where the levers are set below the top of the metering chamber wall.

I have one for the Walbro and Zama carbs and there worth it to me. They work on a ton of carbs and no more guessing that way.

Greg,
How's the weather down there???? 5-6 inches of snow???

Check the metering level and make sure it is level. Walbro sells a metering tool for like $3.00 that helps you set these right. If it's too high too much fuel. Make sure you fuel line nipple is not plugged too.

Greg, the WT carb was used on them as well as the WA so what you have is probably right. Later models even had Zama carbs.

Like Bob said, 2 turns out on the needles are a bit much, I useally start at 1 1/4 out which maybe a little rich but should get it going.

Be carefull following Mr Palmers advice on blowing out these carbs, as some have nozzles and check valves that can be destroyed with too much air pressure and can turn a carb to junk real quick.

It might be time to invest in a metering lever gauge for these little carbs where the levers are set below the top of the metering chamber wall.

I have one for the Walbro and Zama carbs and there worth it to me. They work on a ton of carbs and no more guessing that way.

I guess I wasn't clear ...I meant the bare carb block not the assembled carb, probably not good to blow into an assembled carb.

Greg,
How's the weather down there???? 5-6 inches of snow???

Check the metering level and make sure it is level. Walbro sells a metering tool for like $3.00 that helps you set these right. If it's too high too much fuel. Make sure you fuel line nipple is not plugged too.

Yes, 5-6" probably, hard to tell, dang wind is howling, and from what I can see outside, drifts that over my head.:mad:
And, ain't no use trying to deal with it yet, till wind dies down some.

Gregg,

Good advise as usuall, Mark.:)
I'll probably get it going, when I get a chance to work on it some more.
Just thought maybe there was some secret trick to these 25's that I was missing..LOL

Gregg,

From what I been reading, the H & L needles are NOT the same size on the Tillotson carb. Anybody Know if they are different on the Walbro versions?
I didn't know this when I had it apart for cleaning.
When I reinstalled them, I looked at them pretty close, and looked the same to me. I'll have to ck them again to be sure.

Gregg,

From what I been reading, the H & L needles are NOT the same size on the Tillotson carb. Anybody Know if they are different on the Walbro versions?
When I reinstalled them, I looked at them pretty close, and looked the same to me. I'll have to ck them again to be sure.

Gregg,

Yes I think they are the same size for both. I have learned to only take one out at a time. If you have them turned around they don't seat correctly.

Yeah the wind is blowing good up here. There is 3" in some spots and I can see the grass in other. I'm just north of the Ohio line.

Gregg,

They are not the same on a WT either.

Thanks for all the fine help & advice fellas!:clap:
I think I'll wait till next week and tackle it some more.

Was getting low on wood supply in basement, so yesterday I thought I better spend some time hauling wood, ahead of the bad weather!
Glad I was smart enough to do that yesterday..:dizzy:

Think I'll spend the weekend indoors, I heard there was a football game on this weekend.:)

Thanks again for all the help. What a valuble site this can be!!!

Gregg,

Thanks for all the fine help & advice fellas!:clap:
I think I'll wait till next week and tackle it some more.

Was getting low on wood supply in basement, so yesterday I thought I better spend some time hauling wood, ahead of the bad weather!
Glad I was smart enough to do that yesterday..:dizzy:

Think I'll spend the weekend indoors, I heard there was a football game on this weekend.:)

Thanks again for all the help. What a valuble site this can be!!!

Gregg,

Jeez, I'm envious and upset Gregg. I'm heading to VT. next Wed. for a week of snowmobiling. Do you think we could get some decent snow in VT.? At least west central VT. No way! Another year of poor sledding.
Bob

Jeez, I'm envious and upset Gregg. I'm heading to VT. next Wed. for a week of snowmobiling. Do you think we could get some decent snow in VT.? At least west central VT. No way! Another year of poor sledding.
Bob

Well at least the snow you get up there in VT, is pretty uniform. Around here, its drifts chest deep with bare ground in between.:dizzy:
Snowmobiling is something I never tried. There are number of guys around here that haul them up to Northern Michigan, and have a blast bar hopping, by sled I guess..LOL
To me, it allways seemed like an expensive pastime, to have them machines setting idle, for 95% of the time.:)
But, looks like fun to be sure!

Gregg,

Well at least the snow you get up there in VT, is pretty uniform. Around here, its drifts chest deep with bare ground in between.:dizzy:
Snowmobiling is something I never tried. There are number of guys around here that haul them up to Northern Michigan, and have a blast bar hopping, by sled I guess..LOL
To me, it allways seemed like an expensive pastime, to have them machines setting idle, for 95% of the time.:)
But, looks like fun to be sure!

Gregg,

Agree. Sounds like chainsaws but at a smaller scale of money.
Bob

Latest posts

Back