Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my rule of thumb for bar length is "engine size/3 = bar length". but that's just a starting place. if your 50cc saw can pull a 24" bar with ease then by all means go for it.
till trying to figure out pros and cons of 3/8 vs. 0.404 and how bar/chain gauge works in there.
i don't think i'd know what to do with a new saw. only had one and its old now.

the tillotson's are the same (other saws)... i have seen L=Low=Long for all carbs I've messed with. I'm sure there are exceptions that prove the rule, though.

It doesn't work with any way,i tried everything.I checked the diaphragms and everything looks like it should..I've disconnected the primer bulb,just in case something going wrong with it but nothing.The only thing that could be wrong( i don't think so but you never know) is the lines.I noticed that the lines were different in diameter.The line which leads the fuel to the carb,was a little bit more thinner than the line which leads the fuel back to the fuel tank.Now i put the same diameter on both of the lines and i don't know if it's right.

Poulan help...Craftsman...2.6 cid, 42cc with 18"bar

I have an older Craftsman saw, (I believe it is "pre-wildthingy" generation) and don't know how to get
a manual or specs on this saw. Put new impluse, fuel lines and went through the carb. Got it running good
but would like to know the specs on idle and wot. I tune by ear and with a tach. Can anyone help with
a manual (or is that unrealistic?).

My intent is to get this small saw running for my paw-in-law who will use it around his house cutting small
stuff. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tommy

I have an older Craftsman saw, (I believe it is "pre-wildthingy" generation) and don't know how to get
a manual or specs on this saw. Put new impluse, fuel lines and went through the carb. Got it running good
but would like to know the specs on idle and wot. I tune by ear and with a tach. Can anyone help with

My intent is to get this small saw running for my paw-in-law who will use it around his house cutting small

Tommy, running down Crafstman info is pretty tough, but the parts lists are available if you can get the model number from the saw. Look for a 358.XXXXXXX-type number (for Poulan saws). With that, I believe we can find the IPL. Service manual, maybe or maybe not. Operator's manual, very likely. I'll look back for your post when you find the model number.

Try this for the Operator's Manual (and parts list in the back).

Craftsman Gasoline Chain Saw Operator's Manual | ManualsOnline.com

Poulan 7700 questions

I just picked up a 7700, and was going to replace the fuel lines, but no one has the right size line. All of the shops have a line that will fit through the hole in the tank, but not tightly enough to prevent leakage, or a line that is too large and no way will go through....nothing in between. What size is the line for the 7700?
Also, does anyone have a close up pic of the venting setup? The IPL doesn't show it very well. I have the fitting that screws into the tank, but nothing else.

I just picked up a 7700, and was going to replace the fuel lines, but no one has the right size line. All of the shops have a line that will fit through the hole in the tank, but not tightly enough to prevent leakage, or a line that is too large and no way will go through....nothing in between. What size is the line for the 7700?
Also, does anyone have a close up pic of the venting setup? The IPL doesn't show it very well. I have the fitting that screws into the tank, but nothing else.

Gas tank venting is accomplished by using a duck bill valve on the end of the fitting. I used 3/8" OD x 5/16" ID line on mine. Doesn't bend very easily but it worked fine on mine.

Poulan 2300 CVA question

Are the Poulan 2300 CVA saws worth a darn? I have a chance to pick one up cheap on Craigs list within walking distance of my house. My first chainsaw in 1990 was a small Poulan bought by my wife from the local hardware store and I was interested in picking one up.

http://frederick.craigslist.org/grd/2760875118.html

Last edited:
Are the Poulan 2300 CVA saws worth a darn? I have a chance to pick one up cheap on Craigs list within walking distance of my house. My first chainsaw in 1990 was a small Poulan bought by my wife from the local hardware store and I was interested in picking one up.

Poulan Chainsaw

im loving mine!!!!!! 38 ccs and its light i used it the other day and it worked like a lil brute sharp chain and had to retune the carb while i was cutting had it a lil to lean opened up the carb .. took a few times it runs great hot or cold now
.. light weight powerhouse!!!! it cut as good as my 009 and did not viberate me LOL!

Stubnail, shoot me an email when you get a chance. I couldn't seem to find our conversation when I went through my emails.

Now I have a question about my new 4000. I bought a clutch cover and bar plates from Chainsawr.com and am talking to Joe Salva about a correct decal for the cover. He asked if it was a counter-vibe or professional. How do I know which one I've got and will this clutch cover be correct for mine?
Here's the link: Chainsawr poulan 3400 chainsaw clutch cover with chain tensioner

If I got the bar plates also, will these work? Chainsawr poulan 3400 to 4000 series chainsaw guide bar plate set

Thanks guys!

Stubnail, shoot me an email when you get a chance. I couldn't seem to find our conversation when I went through my emails.

Now I have a question about my new 4000. I bought a clutch cover and bar plates from Chainsawr.com and am talking to Joe Salva about a correct decal for the cover. He asked if it was a counter-vibe or professional. How do I know which one I've got and will this clutch cover be correct for mine?
Here's the link: Chainsawr poulan 3400 chainsaw clutch cover with chain tensioner

If I got the bar plates also, will these work? Chainsawr poulan 3400 to 4000 series chainsaw guide bar plate set

Thanks guys!

The bar guides are correct, Nick. Not sure how to answer the question about countervibe vs. professional. I think it's professional but someone else can confirm that. Most of those models, 3400/3700/4000 say Countervibe but I believe the 4000 is the only one that has that style of decal which is two pieces.

Last edited:

Thanks guys!

Nik I think the 2 piece older decals were the ones that said countervibe and the newer 1 piece decal said professional on them.

You better wait till you get the cover from Scott to see which you get. I can assure you you wont get the one that he has pictured.

The one he has pictured is the 2 piece counter vibe decal though.

When you talk to Joe, ask him where the heck is the PP655 decals!!!!

400 sales brochure

Thanks to our friend Tom Coker, we now have the Poulan 400 and 400A IPLs availible! I got them scanned tonight along with the Poulan 306A/245A owners manual that I have had here for some time.

He also sent this that I thought you guys might want to see.

attachment.php

Thanks guys!

bro these guys will know much better then me im still new to this style saw i know i took all my bigger saws out husky 51 295 and my 3.7 craftsman and it was the hevey one but it cuts better then my 026 pro used to i finally got it working wow ... i bet the 4000 is one mean saw!!!!

Thanks to our friend Tom Coker, we now have the Poulan 400 and 400A IPLs availible! I got them scanned tonight along with the Poulan 306A/245A owners manual that I have had here for some time.

He also sent this that I thought you guys might want to see.

attachment.php

very cool pic!!!

bro these guys will know much better then me im still new to this style saw i know i took all my bigger saws out husky 51 295 and my 3.7 craftsman and it was the hevey one but it cuts better then my 026 pro used to i finally got it working wow ... i bet the 4000 is one mean saw!!!!

in a month i will be on the hunt for a 3400 and another 3.7 or 3700 my like new 295 was not bad but a 20 inch bar was a lil to big maybe an 18 and drill the muffler i may drop it to a 16 inch or just sell it i was happy with my husky 51 very light pulled the 20 inch bar with a sharp chain well..... 295 was not bad the 3.7 with an 18 inch bar was really strong!!!!

in a month i will be on the hunt for a 3400 and another 3.7 or 3700 my like new 295 was not bad but a 20 inch bar was a lil to big maybe an 18 and drill the muffler i may drop it to a 16 inch or just sell it i was happy with my husky 51 very light pulled the 20 inch bar with a sharp chain well..... 295 was not bad the 3.7 with an 18 inch bar was really strong!!!!

and my 2.3 craftman was a pleasure i could cut with it all day almost light as my echo but great power!!!

Just remember the 295 is only 46cc!! It should not have any more then a 16" on it if you ask me. My buddy has one that we muffler modded (they need that really bad) and put a 16" on it with a 20LP chain on it. It rock and rolls now.

Back