Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very cool pic i change mine of a old homie or stihl cant seen to find any nice poulan ones any links to where you found that??? or is it one of yours?

LOL, Yea, Thats one of mine. I rotate them occasionally. This one I just liked the best overall.:msp_biggrin:

245A016.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

great pic

LOL, Yea, Thats one of mine. I rotate them occasionally. This one I just liked the best overall.:msp_biggrin:

245A016.jpg

Gregg,

great pic hope you dont mind if i copy it to have as my background for a lil while till i find a s25 cool pic...

Great looking 245A Gregg. Love mine. So light and powerful.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I like it too. I think I will use it more. Its the only one I have, kinda wanted to save it. But it runs & cuts so good. LOL

Well , sold one of my 3700's. PP 525 next on the block. Getting a Jonsereds 49sp from a member.
Bob

I was watching your 3700. I guess that wasn't a terrible price. I thought it might go for more though.

great pic hope you dont mind if i copy it to have as my background for a lil while till i find a s25 cool pic...

Go right ahead... LOL They aren't copywrited. :laugh:

Gregg,

if its a zama the long one goes to the low end and short to the high.. i have a link some where ?????

the tillotson's are the same (other saws)... i have seen L=Low=Long for all carbs I've messed with. I'm sure there are exceptions that prove the rule, though.

Thanks Bob, I like it too. I think I will use it more. Its the only one I have, kinda wanted to save it. But it runs & cuts so good. LOL

I was watching your 3700. I guess that wasn't a terrible price. I thought it might go for more though.

Go right ahead... LOL They aren't copywrited. :laugh:

Gregg,
Gregg at the start, I figured $150 would be a faIr price. So I'm not displeased.

Got up early, signed into Site, went to Poulan stickie and saw what! 1000pages. Great accomplishment. Obviously there are a lot of Poulan guys out there. Nik, thanks for the idea. BTW where is NiK?
Bob

PS Have a 24 and 36 for my 655. The 36 is huge. Its at least 3 ft. long!

I'm not sure there are so many of them out there but the ones that are...........are verbose!!!
And long winded too.

Mike

Gregg,

They are just great saws. Anyone here ever run one (real world work in real wood, not small diameter cookie speed cutting) against a 372 and/or a 440 (stock)?

They are just great saws. Anyone here ever run one (real world work in real wood, not small diameter cookie speed cutting) against a 372 and/or a 440 (stock)?

Yes on both counts.
They aren't nearly as fast as the 372 or 440, but let me reiterate what I have said many times before.

"The skill and experience of the sawyer will have a lot more to do with how much wood goes on the truck than the speed of the saw"!!!

I know a little guy that would maybe weigh 150 lbs. sopping wet with his winter clothes on, that will work any three people you can gather, into the ground loading the truck while he is running the saw.
ANY modern saw.

Mike

PP4620 Service Manual and some Craftsman's, too

I posted this on the Beg for Manuals thread with little success. If anyone has the Service Manual or IPL for the following saws, I'd sure be grateful.

Poulan Pro 46cc (Model PP4620AVX 802169)(I have the IPL for this saw)
Craftsman 3.3 CI (Model 358.356332)
Craftsman 3.7 (Model 358.356090)

The 4000 I did for my dad is an odd beast. Not the fastest cutting thing, BUT, you gotta really put the FATGUY lean on it to slow it down. I'm thinking, Snellerizing, muffler modding, FATGUY custom sprocket, and look out....
huang4.jpg

huang3.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
I can't wait to get mine into some big wood. I might do some "forestry management" in the process of collecting wood for my mother-in-law's wood stove with it.

I'm still looking for a good 28" bar. I could get a new one, but I kind of want to find an old Poulan one that is in great shape though.

Bob, the 525 you've got has me intrigued, but I kind of feel like if I'm going to go bigger, I should just find a good 655 for sale.

Nick

The 4000 I did for my dad is an odd beast. Not the fastest cutting thing, BUT, you gotta really put the FATGUY lean on it to slow it down. I'm thinking, Snellerizing, muffler modding, FATGUY custom sprocket, and look out....
huang4.jpg

huang3.jpg

3.jpg

??? What would this would entail?? I've been running my ass ragged(the wife sez ".....you are losing weight and getting skinny")with the day job but do hope to find some time to get my "new" 4000 up and running. I won't have the "FATGUY" abilities but would like to know about this "FATGUY custom sprocket" and what it will do to improve your 4000 !??

Yes on both counts.
They aren't nearly as fast as the 372 or 440, but let me reiterate what I have said many times before.

"The skill and experience of the sawyer will have a lot more to do with how much wood goes on the truck than the speed of the saw"!!!

I know a little guy that would maybe weigh 150 lbs. sopping wet with his winter clothes on, that will work any three people you can gather, into the ground loading the truck while he is running the saw.
ANY modern saw.

Mike

Good "real world" knowledge shared there!! I like your little guy story as it does point out that sooo much of this wood cutting thing is about personal abilities vs. speed of the saw.

I hear soooo much about how "fast" a saw is and the "new technology" vs. the older stuff; i.e. the 4000 I just got vs. the Makita 6400 I didn't get. Sooo the 6400 would have been more than twice the purchase cost.........would it have cut twice as much wood, been twice as much fun to run, last twice as long, etc , etc , !??

What I wonder about is where stuff like bar length, .325 vs. .3/8" chain, type of chain, sharpness of chain, drive sprocket tooth count and stuff like that comes into play with saw cutting efficency??

I cut wood for a hobby and to make some extra money on side jobs. This CAD thing is the fun part of comparing different saws.....that I can afford to buy on the cheap.

??? What would this would entail?? I've been running my ass ragged(the wife sez ".....you are losing weight and getting skinny")with the day job but do hope to find some time to get my "new" 4000 up and running. I won't have the "FATGUY" abilities but would like to know about this "FATGUY custom sprocket" and what it will do to improve your 4000 !??

Beats me, though FATGUY(NiK) is a machinest. I'm sure one of his neighbors will contribute.
Bob

Good "real world" knowledge shared there!! I like your little guy story as it does point out that sooo much of this wood cutting thing is about personal abilities vs. speed of the saw.

I hear soooo much about how "fast" a saw is and the "new technology" vs. the older stuff; i.e. the 4000 I just got vs. the Makita 6400 I didn't get. Sooo the 6400 would have been more than twice the purchase cost.........would it have cut twice as much wood, been twice as much fun to run, last twice as long, etc , etc , !??

What I wonder about is where stuff like bar length, .325 vs. .3/8" chain, type of chain, sharpness of chain, drive sprocket tooth count and stuff like that comes into play with saw cutting efficency??

I cut wood for a hobby and to make some extra money on side jobs. This CAD thing is the fun part of comparing different saws.....that I can afford to buy on the cheap.

Well not a scientific reply my feelings are as follows: 1) a sharp chain and proper height of rakers is a must. If either of these two dependant areas aren't correct you may as well use a buck saw. (1a)-Chisel chain cuts faster than semi-chisel chain but dulls faster. 2) .325 pitch is generally used on saws 50cc or less and 3/8 pitch on larger saws. 3/8 has a wider kerf and therefore needs more umph to cut. 3) generally there are 7 and 8 tooth sprockets. 7 tooth are somewhat slower but provide more cutting tooth are faster but require more cc's to make up for the power. 3) my rule for bar lengths isn't scientific and is based on cutting hardwoods and not softwoods less than55c -16", 55cc-60cc-18" 60cc-65cc 20". Told you!

The Makita 6400(Dolmar made) is a great saw for the price and yes it is quite a bit faster than the Poulan 4000. I have both and love both.

Bob

Latest posts

Back