Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep. XX-D. Here's my Craftsman red 1.9 badged XX-D next to my 2.1A (25DA).

000_0179.jpg

000_0178.jpg

I've got one of the 1.9's out in the shop. Mine needs a carb kit(runs, but not very well) and pumps oil from what I presume is supposed to be a one way check valve behind and above the bar mount(best I remember anyway). I set it to the side, figuring I'd mess with it later.

BTW, you still haven't sent me that list. :(

Saw it 3400/3700 I'll ask.Got some where else to check next week for all.But I had to say this you can't believe what I get to see from locals.Farmers dig out saws for me.Mac 35,Poulan 61/Take two to work tell guys there out there.Work my 12hrs and go out and there are 2,3 more with the doors locked.They know the drill.At work we kid the FBI is keeping a watch on my truck for activity.Like today got a call at press and guy said he put one in and to keep it,this is the weird part look above it's a Craftsman 1.9 and quite nice looking.Thanks to all you I love it.

poulan 245a fuel tank gasket

Machinist bluing, carpenters powdered chalk, even some paint...something like that could work to mark the whole cut out area.

Or use liquid gasket instead, same stuff they use to go cylinder to base gasketless? miraclecongobondo bond, that stuff??
Thank all you for ideas. had saw since 78 brand new and got to keep it healthy. runs great. I will let you know when outcome.
How do ya'll feel about engineered fuels. cost a lot but seems to really protect equipment?

Machinist bluing, carpenters powdered chalk, even some paint...something like that could work to mark the whole cut out area.

Or use liquid gasket instead, same stuff they use to go cylinder to base gasketless? miraclecongobondo bond, that stuff??

Hey zog, how's about saving me some time and telling me where a guy could get some of that machinist bluing.

I've got one of the 1.9's out in the shop. Mine needs a carb kit(runs, but not very well) and pumps oil from what I presume is supposed to be a one way check valve behind and above the bar mount(best I remember anyway). I set it to the side, figuring I'd mess with it later.

BTW, you still haven't sent me that list. :(

IIRC the kit is RK14HU for the Tillotson HU with fixed H-side. Gotta take the time to type up that "wanted" list for you.:cheers:

IIRC the kit is RK14HU for the Tillotson HU with fixed H-side. Gotta take the time to type up that "wanted" list for you.:cheers:

did you get your package yet? I wanted to send it back in the box you sent but someone was having none of it.:msp_tongue: Oh well I hope it serves you well and not just sit on my shelf looking pretty. I may have a stray 8500 case or two laying around, PM me if interested.

Hey zog, how's about saving me some time and telling me where a guy could get some of that machinist bluing.

It's called Prussian Blue, and you should be able to find it at your local autoparts store. Be careful with it though, as it doesn't dry and stains just about anything it touches. You'll end up looking like a smurf with a skin disorder if you're careless(or someone plays a shop prank).

Hey Guys, It is probably in here, but I'm a little short on time to read all 1831 pages.

Working on a pair of 306's. Long story short, got one with the correct bow stuff on it and one with a straight bar. The guy that I got the bow saw from decided he wants it back for sentimental reasons. OK, fine but he said I could keep the bow setup since he knew that is what I really wanted anyway. So I am converting one TO a bow saw, and one FROM a bow saw. Should be easy, right? Wellll, it seems the clutch cover is hitting the muffler on the former bow saw. The one I'll keep is an earlier saw. Looks like I'm going to need to swap out the muffler and clutch also? Can someone confirm this? This is turning into a pain in the you-know-where, but I don't want to let that bow stuff go, as it is not terribly easy to come by (and this is bow saw country!)

Tim, I don't understand what you got going on there. We both know lots of bow specific parts are needed for a bow on a 306 but a muffler isn't one of them.

You might have a bent/tweaked muffler or something though as the tin mufflers did set up pretty tight against the clutch covers..

Shouldn't have to change the clutch either as there the same but you have to use the spacer behind the clutch with the bow setup..

Tim, I don't understand what you got going on there. We both know lots of bow specific parts are needed for a bow on a 306 but a muffler isn't one of them.

You might have a bent/tweaked muffler or something though as the tin mufflers did set up pretty tight against the clutch covers..

Shouldn't have to change the clutch either as there the same but you have to use the spacer behind the clutch with the bow setup..

OK, I'll pull the clutch and swap the spacer over. Maybe that is what is holding the clutch cover out of place. I'll report back in a couple of days. This working crap is wearing me out!

I also tracked down a said-to-be "mint" 245 bow saw, but I have not seen it yet. Original owner, and he said it has only been actually used it less than 20 times. We'll see. Guy wants some strong $ for it, but he said he might trade me for an 029 (!!!!) That wont be a very hard decision to make.

did you get your package yet? I wanted to send it back in the box you sent but someone was having none of it.:msp_tongue: Oh well I hope it serves you well and not just sit on my shelf looking pretty. I may have a stray 8500 case or two laying around, PM me if interested.

Got it late last night from my buddy (he works the shift after mine). Looks great. Haven't had time to really go over it much yet. Thanks again Jim. Will PM you....:cheers:

PP325 Vacuum test issue

Saw won't hold vacuum but holds pressure. Replaced seals and smeared grease around seal lips thinking this might show if there was a leak. No noticeable sucking in of grease. Am I missing something? Ideas?
I tested vacuum on another saw and it passed so the Mughty Vac is functioning properly.
Bob

Last edited:
Saw won't hold vacuum but holds pressure. Replaced seals and smeared grease around seal lips thinking this might show if there was a leak. No noticeable sucking in of grease. Am I missing something? Ideas?
I tested vacuum on another saw and it passed so the Mughty Vac is functioning properly.
Bob

Intake system........either the boot around the intake or the impulse nipple....

Intake system........either the boot around the intake or the impulse nipple....

I'll try all suggestions. I replaced the rubber sleeve between the cylinder and intake as well as the rubber grommet that fits in the cylinder that the intake nipple slips in to. Originally that's where the pressure leak was as well as at one of the seals.

Back