Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, you guys have really infected my brain (with CAD?)! I'm going to look at a Super 380 this afternoon, Craiglist ad find, asking $60. Ad shows blurry pics, which I like if it means the saw doesn't sell before I can see it. This one was posted yesterday, but I saw it late last night, so I thought I might be too late. Nope, meeting the guy after he gets out of work.

From the ad (and all I know about the saw):
"When it runs, it runs Great! It mite need some tuning up! Has a 21" bar/chain, and the chain is new. the bar oil and blade protector are included! as pictured."

PProSuper380_1.jpg

PProSuper380_2.jpg

PProSuper380_3.jpg

Wish me luck!

Scott in Penfield NY

Wow, you guys have really infected my brain (with CAD?)! I'm going to look at a Super 380 this afternoon, Craiglist ad find, asking $60. Ad shows blurry pics, which I like if it means the saw doesn't sell before I can see it. This one was posted yesterday, but I saw it late last night, so I thought I might be too late. Nope, meeting the guy after he gets out of work.

"When it runs, it runs Great! It mite need some tuning up! Has a 21" bar/chain, and the chain is new. the bar oil and blade protector are included! as pictured."

PProSuper380_1.jpg

PProSuper380_2.jpg

PProSuper380_3.jpg

Wish me luck!

Scott in Penfield NY

I think I would bite on that one...:D I see its missing the gasket between the air filter cover & top cover. But, you are right, its tough to see things in the blurry pics. Kinda makes me dizzy. :rolleyes:

They are great saws, even if you have to put a little work and, or money into them.

Gregg,

PProSuper380_1.jpg

PProSuper380_2.jpg

PProSuper380_3.jpg

Wish me luck!

Scott in Penfield NY
good luck, and as always, pics.......

I got the saw, for the asking price of $60, which included about a gallon of bar oil, but it isn't all good news. The compression isn't very good, so when I get a chance I'll have to dig in and figure out why. If I'm lucky the cylinder will be usable. If I'm very lucky it will just need a ring, or has a stuck ring I can free up. The seller didn't seem to think it was a problem, but he wouldn't budge on the price, and the rest of the saw is in such good shape that I welcome it as a project. It is quite dirty, but not from use, just from sitting in a garage, with a film of grime covering it. Should clean up well enough.

The seller had to sell because a work-related brain injury makes him unable to operate dangerous equipment due to slowed reflexes. Makes me less inclined to complain about the soreness I feel in my shoulders when I'm starting and using a saw (which I believe is caused by the beginnings of arthritis, like my father has.)

Now my first technical question. I expect I'll want to replace my impulse line, as I've seen that mentioned here a few places. Is the impulse line a special piece, or can I just find a rubber hose to replace it? I looked at a picture from a parts seller online, and it didn't look like anything special, just a rubber hose.

Thanks (I think) for getting me into these saws! My wife shakes her head at me getting another one, but I think saws are the smallest thing I can acquire that I can enjoy fixing. I tried cameras, and after I "fix" them they still don't work (which is no fun.) She's against my former "cars, trucks, and motorcycles" (aka junk) collecting, which quickly becomes unmanageable, so the ease of keeping (under 10 for now) a few saws is a great benefit. We'll see how long I stay under 10! This saw is number 6, and I've been promised and await number 7, ha!

Scott in Penfield NY

I got the saw, for the asking price of $60, which included about a gallon of bar oil, but it isn't all good news. The compression isn't very good, so when I get a chance I'll have to dig in and figure out why. If I'm lucky the cylinder will be usable. If I'm very lucky it will just need a ring, or has a stuck ring I can free up. The seller didn't seem to think it was a problem, but he wouldn't budge on the price, and the rest of the saw is in such good shape that I welcome it as a project. It is quite dirty, but not from use, just from sitting in a garage, with a film of grime covering it. Should clean up well enough.

The seller had to sell because a work-related brain injury makes him unable to operate dangerous equipment due to slowed reflexes. Makes me less inclined to complain about the soreness I feel in my shoulders when I'm starting and using a saw (which I believe is caused by the beginnings of arthritis, like my father has.)

Now my first technical question. I expect I'll want to replace my impulse line, as I've seen that mentioned here a few places. Is the impulse line a special piece, or can I just find a rubber hose to replace it? I looked at a picture from a parts seller online, and it didn't look like anything special, just a rubber hose.

Thanks (I think) for getting me into these saws! My wife shakes her head at me getting another one, but I think saws are the smallest thing I can acquire that I can enjoy fixing. I tried cameras, and after I "fix" them they still don't work (which is no fun.) She's against my former "cars, trucks, and motorcycles" (aka junk) collecting, which quickly becomes unmanageable, so the ease of keeping (under 10 for now) a few saws is a great benefit. We'll see how long I stay under 10! This saw is number 6, and I've been promised and await number 7, ha!

Scott in Penfield NY
Don't use Tyson as an impulse line. I use black Echo fuel line which has worked well.

Scott in Penfield NY

If you don't want to fool with it and would like your money back just shoot me a message......

Back