Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry guys. I'm wrong on my previous measurements. I must have had the calipers off center and moving too fast. Here's what I'm getting 46.47mm (1st pic) for the Craftsman 3.3/3300 and 3540 cylinders. The measurements are closer to 46.5mm but I can't get the picture.

So far I found 3 different cylinder designs for the 54cc Poulan saws. The 2 from the Craftsman 3.3's/3300's - one has a chrome bore, the other does not and no impulse fitting on the cylinder. The 3300 style has the impulse fitting on the case.

The 3540 has a chrome bore, impulse fitting on the cylinder and completely different transfers.

(2nd pic) nonchrome 3300 cylinder on the left, 3540 on the right. The bolt pattern also 3mm wider on the 3450.
I would have added the chromed 3300 cylinder to the pic but it's in a saw- the non chrome is sitting out because it is toast.

View attachment 487020
View attachment 487025

Ok, I see your're measuring cylinder bores. My post this morning was measuring my PP335 piston. I'll have to measure the cylinder to see if I get close to your numbers so that a 3450 piston kit will work.

Ok, I see your're measuring cylinder bores. My post this morning was measuring my PP335 piston. I'll have to measure the cylinder to see if I get close to your numbers so that a 3450 piston kit will work.

Opps --- I was talking about piston not the bore earlier today. Just so we are talking apples to apples. Here is the 3450 piston measurement. Now I understand why I was wondering why they have the pistons described as 46.5mm. DSCN0706.JPG

Opps --- I was talking about piston not the bore earlier today. Just so we are talking apples to apples. Here is the 3450 piston measurement. Now I understand why I was wondering why they have the pistons described as 46.5mm. View attachment 487036
That's much closer to my PP330. Guess a 3450 kit will work esp. Seeing as how both cylinders are chrome.

The rarest Poulan I have is a 203. Not valuable or particularly rare, but might say uncommon... Forerunner of the 306. Same 59cc saw, but had compression release start.

203003.jpg

203002.jpg

203011.jpg

Gregg,

Nice saw Gregg. I almost did a double take when I saw the switch, decomp and rear handle on that saw. It looks like a copy of a Mac 5-10A I'm putting back together.
I'm not sure of the 203 date of production, The Mac was made in 1966 - 67.
I'd rather have the 203 though.

A few weeks ago I stopped at another repair shop that belongs to a co workers brother looking for someone to sharpen a 1/2 in. pitch chain and ended up leaving with duckbills, filters, various size fuel line, and a non running 3400, S25DA, and a 1616 Skil . He didn't remember why the 3400 was left there, couldn't recall what the problem was with the S25DA or 1616 and why there were parts missing. Did I mention he wouldn't take a dime for any of the saws. The 3400 has 130 psi and the S25DA has 140 psi. Time for another carb rebuild.

20151207_193314.jpg 20151207_193643.jpg

Gonna need a few parts for the S25DA.

20160219_160402.jpg 20160219_160416.jpg 20160219_160939.jpg
Hope this works and will re check the Craftsman carb tomorrow.
Thanks
Tim

Attachments

• 20160219_160402.jpg
    20160219_160402.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20160219_160416.jpg
    20160219_160416.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20160219_160939.jpg
    20160219_160939.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
Nice saw Gregg. I almost did a double take when I saw the switch, decomp and rear handle on that saw. It looks like a copy of a Mac 5-10A I'm putting back together.
I'm not sure of the 203 date of production, The Mac was made in 1966 - 67.
I'd rather have the 203 though.

Tim, I don't know the dates saws like the 203 were produced. This add was taken from a magazine. The date on the page of magazine was Nov. 21 1968.
So probably puts them around the same time frame as the Mac you are working on. Obviously mine was suppose to have the Power Sharp feature. Looks like that was done away with long ago on my saw.

poulans%20160_zpsj5a8bytn.jpg

Gregg

I'm workin on a poulan or poulans. The wildthing has a bad motor, the 42cc crapsman poulan is the same motor as the wildthing but much more tame the exhaust port don't have the breathing room so I'm gunna open that up. Maybe a Lil intake work. After that I'm assemble all the parts and it's going to be UGLY green tank, purple chain cover, red recoil, undecided on the top cover. And to add to the fugly dumpling may have to do a nasty tubular muffler mod. IL post pics if the plastics after they come out of the dishwasher

I'm workin on a poulan or poulans. The wildthing has a bad motor, the 42cc crapsman poulan is the same motor as the wildthing but much more tame the exhaust port don't have the breathing room so I'm gunna open that up. Maybe a Lil intake work. After that I'm assemble all the parts and it's going to be UGLY green tank, purple chain cover, red recoil, undecided on the top cover. And to add to the fugly dumpling may have to do a nasty tubular muffler mod. IL post pics if the plastics after they come out of the dishwasher
Got to have the green cover. [emoji328]

Steve

Got to have the green cover. [emoji328]

Steve

Enjoying all the eye candy in here of late. Haven't seen a local Poulan since I picked up my 3000 the middle of last year. And, I'd be more likely to spot the Ogopogo or Elvis before a big Counter Vibe in these parts.

Here is the one that got me started.

View attachment 487129

Those all metal chain brakes are such a nice design and really add a lot of character to that saw.

Enjoying all the eye candy in here of late. Haven't seen a local Poulan since I picked up my 3000 the middle of last year. And, I'd be more likely to spot the Ogopogo or Elvis before a big Counter Vibe in these parts.

View attachment 487129
They pop up just south of the border from you fairly often.
If you see anything in the Spokane area you are interested in, I'm always willing to help.
That is if Nate doesn't beat me to it lol

They pop up just south of the border from you fairly often.
If you see anything in the Spokane area you are interested in, I'm always willing to help.
That is if Nate doesn't beat me to it lol

Good point Shawn:) But then of course we would probably have to drive up and deliver it and drink some of that Canadian beer! :givebeer:

A few weeks ago I stopped at another repair shop that belongs to a co workers brother looking for someone to sharpen a 1/2 in. pitch chain and ended up leaving with duckbills, filters, various size fuel line, and a non running 3400, S25DA, and a 1616 Skil . He didn't remember why the 3400 was left there, couldn't recall what the problem was with the S25DA or 1616 and why there were parts missing. Did I mention he wouldn't take a dime for any of the saws. The 3400 has 130 psi and the S25DA has 140 psi. Time for another carb rebuild.

View attachment 487084 View attachment 487085

Gonna need a few parts for the S25DA.

View attachment 487091 View attachment 487092 View attachment 487093
Hope this works and will re check the Craftsman carb tomorrow.
Thanks
Tim

That's a nice 3400, I really like mine. Great price to haha!

View attachment 487129

Cool saw Cory, I agree that the all metal chain breaks are really cool. I'd like to have one someday.

Back