Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are those made by Armstrong & Manley, or Akin-Bache?

Didnt even try and find any markings. As they are just for hanging.

Now dad has several he used in his barn and trying to find a setting tool right now like he used. He wants to put the grandkids on the other end to let them see what it was like.

Hung my new to me 2cc saw today over bench #2. Moved the old one down 20 feet.

I like the cross cuts. I actually have the cross cut that my great grandfather owned, she's wore out. He lived through the depression. Dad said he cut a wagon load of wood (like a hay frame wagon with sides) everyday and sold it for a quarter with that very saw.

Mine are plain tooth and champion tooth.

059-crosscut-saws-02-saw-blade-profiles.jpg

I think my brother scooped my great grandfather's two man cross cut saw. He was known as the man in the area to take your saw to for sharpening. He eventually gave up farming and went to work at McLaughlin Buick in Oshawa as a saw sharpener. The old Buicks had their sheet metal fastened to an ash frame. All the door jams were wood as well and beautifully made.

I have a cross cut saw in the garage. It's not one of the really long ones, but has handles for two men. I tried to talk a neighbor out of his when they moved, but he decided to keep it.

FWIW some of those old manual saws has some very nice logo designs with detailed graphics on the blade. The stenciling/etching wasn't usually very deep and wore down very quickly; it's difficult to find a really clear example.

Have any of you ever participated in the crosscut saw competitions? I always thought it would be fun.

I couldn't quite wait till Sat so I checked a little on it today. Aside from the chipped clutch cover that might be hard to find, it looks to be missing the on/off switch and I think the oiler knob above the switch. Piston looks shiny and new, and compression is great. Here is a picture of the handle side. Please correct me if I'm wrong about the missing parts.0907161603.jpg

I couldn't quite wait till Sat so I checked a little on it today. Aside from the chipped clutch cover that might be hard to find, it looks to be missing the on/off switch and I think the oiler knob above the switch. Piston looks shiny and new, and compression is great. Here is a picture of the handle side. Please correct me if I'm wrong about the missing parts.View attachment 524019
You are correct on the missing parts. I probably have the oiler button and on/off switch.

That's great! I will get more into it this weekend hopefully and try and make sure the rest of the oil and electrical systems are present and accounted for. I was most worried about the piston, but it looks great. I see no reason why I shouldn't be able to get this one running.

Latest posts

Back