Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure what has happened with the big saws. For years I have found one here and there and long time between them. About 9 months ago i found a 8500 that was nice and never had anything done to it, i have not even cleaned it. So when I turned 77 last June i had the crazy idea to want a 7700. Seems like the saws just started to find me. This is what has found me. 2 8500 makes 3 a 8510 in a box of parts, a 6900 ,5400, 4900 and my 7700. I have enough parts to make another 8500 but would have to get a decal set for it. I'm not looking for anything else but a wood permit mid June.
They seem to run in spurts for me also. I still am on the lookout for a 6900 and a 7700. I don’t think I’ve ever seen either one in person.
What does a wood permit allow you to do?

Green lust , all the ground in this area is farm ground that is flat, when you get into the foothills and mountains it is a national forest. To get any wood you are required to get a firewood permit. The permit is for 4 cords of wood and the cost is 25.00 . That is the minimum amount of wood. You can get your permit in 1/4 cord cards and that is what I usually do but I will get a few in half cord if several of us are going to cut. I take my 750 King quad and my 4x5 foot trailer to haul it back to the big trailer. I'm about 20 miles from home to the cutting area.20191017_081204.jpg

Green lust , all the ground in this area is farm ground that is flat, when you get into the foothills and mountains it is a national forest. To get any wood you are required to get a firewood permit. The permit is for 4 cords of wood and the cost is 25.00 . That is the minimum amount of wood. You can get your permit in 1/4 cord cards and that is what I usually do but I will get a few in half cord if several of us are going to cut. I take my 750 King quad and my 4x5 foot trailer to haul it back to the big trailer. I'm about 20 miles from home to the cutting area.
I’ve never heard of that. I guess you have to cut trees that have already fallen or are diseased. That looks like hard work. It probably makes good memories with family or friends though.
Gary

Yes you are welcome to come cut with me, you guessed it on standing dead or dead on the ground. No cutting within 100 yards of a creek, lake, river or where running water might be if it rained hard and that is where the runoff would go. Have to have a standard shovel and fire extinguisher with in arms reach when cutting. Must have an approved spark arrestor in the saw. Sounds like fun don't you think.
I always like to go with at least 3 saws. Been doing it for about 55 years. Life on public forest land.
You can take your ATV 300 feet off the trail to get the wood

Never tried putting a plastic clamshell saw drum on a mag cased saw. GL

Why not buy the right drum for 2800 with spur 325 or a rim set up with 325 7 and 8 if wanted.

OEM spur drum online dealer. 530048084 $27

I would think 20 shipped would get you a rim set up one even on ebay. 530048083 https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=530048083&_sacat=0&_sop=15

View attachment 1075091
Yeah i tried it and no go. I killed the clutch getting it off so i am looking for a good used one. I got a replacement oem spur from my dealer.

Yeah i tried it and no go. I killed the clutch getting it off so i am looking for a good used one. I got a replacement oem spur from my dealer.
I have a bunch of clutches used to spare.

But I only take Paypal friends family way or USPS money order or even cash if local pick up. Shipping on buyers dime too. Many can vouch for me.

Just pics of some of the past sold clutches etc.

Going to send you a link. Easier then me messing with one for same cost.

pclutchhdstd.jpg

To get any wood you are required to get a firewood permit. The permit is for 4 cords of wood and the cost is 25.00 . That is the minimum amount of wood. You can get your permit in 1/4 cord cards and that is what I usually do but I will get a few in half cord if several of us are going to cut.

That’s great to have cheap cutting access that close Todd, do you burn a full 4 cords a year?

I average only 2-1/2 cords of oak through a normal winter, a catalyst wood stove makes a big difference in wood consumption.

I only burn it in my fire pit. Many years ago I was heating only with wood,then a natural gas line was ran in front of the house. My neighbors on each side of me and I talked to the gas company and was told that they would extend the line for a thousand dollars and give us 200 rebate for a furnace and 100 for a water heater and a 100 for a gas clothes dryer. Next day I got a new furnace and water heater.
Burning wood 24/7 is a lot of work. That was in 1993, i cut about 6 cords every summer. Back then it was free to cut.

I only burn it in my fire pit. Many years ago I was heating only with wood,then a natural gas line was ran in front of the house. My neighbors on each side of me and I talked to the gas company and was told that they would extend the line for a thousand dollars and give us 200 rebate for a furnace and 100 for a water heater and a 100 for a gas clothes dryer. Next day I got a new furnace and water heater.
Burning wood 24/7 is a lot of work. That was in 1993, i cut about 6 cords every summer. Back then it was free to cut.
If ya heat with wood a gym membership is no longer necessary 😂

Can we get a better pic of the top cover deal with the info on it. Right there under brake handle on cover under it.
Might get lucky and be some useful info there. Betting on between the 2 fasteners for info.
Sorry took so long to get back on pc blew up. This is the only info on the saw the wrighting above the handle is just starting info. Not sure if any of this helps only info on saw

Attachments

• IMG_20230421_120953.jpg
    IMG_20230421_120953.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230421_121054.jpg
    IMG_20230421_121054.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I am in need of crankshaft seals for two Poulan 5400 saws...ordered them from Red Dog Supply but they came back and said they were on backorder and cancelled my order.

Does anyone know where I might find at least 4 pieces at a reasonable price. From Aarons old list I gather the PN is 530019075.

Mark

I am in need of crankshaft seals for two Poulan 5400 saws...ordered them from Red Dog Supply but they came back and said they were on backorder and cancelled my order.

Does anyone know where I might find at least 4 pieces at a reasonable price. From Aarons old list I gather the PN is 530019075.

Mark

Here is what I have saved from that list.
@Todd Loosli would be the one to ask what he just used being he does these it seems all the time anymore.

Poulan 4200-8500 Series:

Both sides 530019075. Back ordered with no ETA. SKF 6904. National 471466.

Mark
Mark pm me and I will get you some seals, oil pump also have a seal in it. Glad to help
I'm out of them, sorry

Mark
There are some errors on that list.

Here's what you need

Poulan 4200-8510

F/W & PTO seal: 530019075.

Shaft size is .669" or 17mm

Pocket size is 1.125" or 28.5 mm

OEM width size is 4.85 mm or .20"

Dichtomatik Americas 17X28.5X6TC Measured and there is enough room for 6mm width

I had the dichtomatik and I used them all, thought they were in the boxes but I kept the empty box for the parts number. Guess I will order more i hope. They seem to work good on the saws i have done in the last few years.
The oil pump seal is.687x.875x.093. Don't know what is out there that will work.

I had the dichtomatik and I used them all, thought they were in the boxes but I kept the empty box for the parts number. Guess I will order more i hope. They seem to work good on the saws i have done in the last few years.
The oil pump seal is.687x.875x.093. Don't know what is out there that will work.
I just found the new info I saved last year to go right with Tim's.

You said =
Todd Loosli
This is the seal that has the best fit for the poulan 5200 style,both sides are the same.
Dichtomatik TMC 17x28.5x6TC-BX I get them from Fastenal.

Back