No Draft and 0 outside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YCSTEVE

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This has been a bad week. I woke up Saturday morning and I had no draft. I have a 30ft tall stainless steel liner in a brick chimney and I lost 90% of my draft and it smoked up my house.

Last year a storm blew the 110 year old chimney off the top of my 3 story house. We replaced it almost Identical to the old one. After looking it over I think the problem is that the screen on the 6 inch liner is sooted up enough it has cut off my draft. We didn't have a screen on the other one and it worked great for 5 years we just had an occassional bird in the basement.

I can't get on the roof and remove the cap because the roof is covered in snow and ice and its 3 stories off the ground.

So now I have had to go a week in zero degree weather with no wood furnace. We are freezing!!! I don't think my gas furnace has shut off since Monday.

I was starting to get tired of burning wood. I now have a renewed appreciation for the added comfort we get from it. You don't know how much you will miss something until your denied it during a time you need it the most.

A couple hits from a pellet gun might knock enough off to get you back in business. I shoot at mine once and a while to knock some stuff off.

Man you guys are creative!! I wish I would have thought of the hatch this summer because we just had 3 layers of asphalt shingles and 2 layer of shake shingle removed and the entire roof redecked. Dang near cost 1/2 of what we paid for the house. That would have been the perfect time to put one in.

I have a weak pellet gun I use to pursued pigeons to go somewhere else. I may have to give it a "shot".

When I painted the house I bought a bucket truck and kept it for 1 1/2 years. I couldn't reach all he high places so I borrowed a 4x4 Genie lift. It was awesome!! I could reach everything and it was stable. The only problem I had is that it was so heavy it would crack sidewalks and all the people wanting to borrow it.

I assume you're talking about a fireplace?

If you have a stove or furnace, did you try cracking open a window down there to help depressurize the house? 3 stories is a pretty long chimney.

HTML:
did you try cracking open a window down there to help depressurize the house

I opened the door to the basement but know luck. It was a good place to start.

I agree with the no screens. I get a bird in the basement every now and then but I just open the window and let it out.

Lean your ladder against the house, climb up and throw a rope over the roof. Anchor the rope on the other side of the house somewhere and use it to climb up to the chimney. Another option, if you have a second ladder, is to lay it on the roof in the snow (also anchored with a rope) and use it for footing (or do both).

Hey, and besides... if'n there's enough snow on the ground it'll cushion the sudden stop if'n ya' fall.

Seriously though, I've used both the rope, and the rope & ladder trick, they'll get you up and down safely. Just take your time, don't get in a hurry. If you have, or get some of those ice spikes that slip on or over your boots it'll help a lot with the ice.

I'm not courages or experianced enough to try the rop trick. My brother came by last night and we removed some snow from the back porch roof so it will dry quicker. We need to put a ladder on the back porch roof to get up to the second story roof. I could tell he was thinking about the rope trick.

When I first moved into the house pigoens were setting up there pooping down the chimney. So I crawled up there and installed a cap. On the way down the ladder kicked out from under me and I fell to the porch roof. I stuck my arms out so I wouldn't role off the house onto the cement drive way. I dislocated my shoulder bad enough I had to go to the hospital and they put me to sleep so I would relax and my shoulder would go back in.

you could always call a tree guy, explain your ordeal, and why he needs to stop by for 10 minutes with his bucket truck !!!
i still like the shotgun thing best though...

A large cal rifle will allow you to keep your cap, but make bigger holes in the screen.:good:

(anybody else hate the new "smileys")

Lean your ladder against the house, climb up and throw a rope over the roof. Anchor the rope on the other side of the house somewhere and use it to climb up to the chimney. Another option, if you have a second ladder, is to lay it on the roof in the snow (also anchored with a rope) and use it for footing (or do both).

Hey, and besides... if'n there's enough snow on the ground it'll cushion the sudden stop if'n ya' fall.

Seriously though, I've used both the rope, and the rope & ladder trick, they'll get you up and down safely. Just take your time, don't get in a hurry. If you have, or get some of those ice spikes that slip on or over your boots it'll help a lot with the ice.

I think that sounds cool as hell...to bad I don't have testicles big enough to do it. I think you should try it:hmm3grin2orange:

If it's a low pitch roof that you could comfortably walk around on in the rain, then plug a long garden hose onto a nearby spigot (preferably hot water) and hose down a wide path to your chimney. For as short a time as you're going to be up there it shouldn't ice back up before you have to get down. Set your watch to blare an alarm after two or three minutes, get down and hose her down again if you need more time. That worked like a treat for me a few years ago.

In that same idea, DON'T throw salt on your roof. It seems like that would give you traction but it doesn't, it's like throwing ball bearings up there. Believe me, because I tried that first. Almost went posterior-over-teakettle off the roof.

If it's a low pitch roof that you could comfortably walk around on in the rain, then plug a long garden hose onto a nearby spigot (preferably hot water) and hose down a wide path to your chimney. For as short a time as you're going to be up there it shouldn't ice back up before you have to get down. Set your watch to blare an alarm after two or three minutes, get down and hose her down again if you need more time. That worked like a treat for me a few years ago.

In that same idea, DON'T throw salt on your roof. It seems like that would give you traction but it doesn't, it's like throwing ball bearings up there. Believe me, because I tried that first. Almost went posterior-over-teakettle off the roof.

Use cold water...Freezes slower!! The salt thing is pretty funny.:rotfl:

Latest posts

Back