No Draft and 0 outside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any chance you could push the cap off the chimney from the inside? If you ran enough cleaning rods up the chimney could you push the cap off?

How about combining the two ideas and use salt water. Dissolve some ice melt in water and spray that up there.

Ian

Last edited:
I thought everyone did own a bucket truck. Here's my $800 ride and drive, fully functional beauty!

Dang! I want one!

Hey, I occasionally have a drafting issue and also have a long chimney, 30' or so. You just need to displace that heavy slug of cold air in the pipe. It's easy. Go buy a decent ceramic space heater with a fan, stick it in the door of your stove and go make breakfast. Give it 10 or 15 minutes, let the stove and pipe absorb a bit of heat, verify draft, and fire it up. It doesn't have to be hot, mind you, just warmer than the outside air. You may still have some cap issues, but maybe this will get you through. You should only have to do this when temps have bottomed out. If you keep some heat in the stove, you should not have to do this again.

Fixed

It wasn't easy but I held the ladder as my little brother scaled the second level. I tried but just didn't have the guts. Because I keep falling off roofs I have developed a hightend state of fear.

We kept having problems with birds in the summer getting into the chimney so they rolled up this wire and stuck it in the cap. Once we pulled the wire out my draft came back instantly. To bad I had to burn gas all last week when the temp was in the single digits. Oh well were back now.

Thanks for all the good ideas. You guys truely are the firewood heating think tank.

I will try and attach a photo.

Looks like what is in my cap. I did the rope thing about a week ago. It was about 50% plugged. Smacked it a couple times with a brush and all was great again.

Ian

He is serious. Only pipes I have ever had freeze on me were hot water pipes.

Funny you say this. I just had two hot water pipes freeze on me yesterday. For some reason the plumbers put them along an outside wall. Either way they thawed out after some work. no joke!

Glad you have problem solved,Luckily I have some friends that work at a local utility company.back last summer i had a big dead limb hanging over my garage.I Explained my problem and a few days later while on lunch they stopped by with their bucket truck and in about twenty minutes my problem was solved.

the weather cap i have had the spark arrester/screen in it too. It kept getting clogged up with creosote because of the small holes.and it would shut my draft down. I get fed up with it and took it off and never had a drafting problem or cresote buildup in the pipe any more. As of now i have had no issues with taking it off

Since I sweep my flue from the bottom, what I am going to do is buy an 8" flue brush and cut about half the bristles out so it will go up the 6" pipe easier but still spring out to get the screen when it gets to the top. That way when I sweep the flue, I get the screen too and won't have to climb the roof again. I sweep my flue twice a year anyway, so I never have a huge amount of creosote to deal with anyway. I think this screen buildup has been going for awhile.

Ian

I think what caused mine to shut off what seems like over night was that we had a front come through and we had a wet south breeze. Since it was night time I had it dampered down for a long burn time so it was smoking more so than it would have durning the day. Either way I removed the screen and we have been burning ever since.

We love having our wood furnace back! I was ready to move south for the winter if we couldn't get it fixed.

screen

I removed my screen a few yrs ago and never looked back. It would get all sooted up like yours, while the flue was still very clean.

I think it is actually more dangerous to have one.

I have had to get a bird or two out of the stove in the summer though.

Latest posts

Back