No Red Elm left in Knasas?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brought in two cords of red elm this year from blow downs. The heartwood is almost blood red when first split. Fabulous firewood when dry.

Unfortunately, Duitch Elm disease did a number on it years ago and it doesn't seem to be gaining strength in numbers. However, a few old proud red elm trees still grow in Nebraska. :rock:

Haha! So Im not the only one in our area to see live red elms still standing! Very good to know. We do everything we can to help the live ones survive just in a small hope they may come back. The dead ones are happily used as excellent firewood.

We cut this stuff south of Belleville off 81 highway. There is a LOT more of it left too.

That's an awesome problem to have,... I have access to a couple of tremendous places to cut, I just have to cross too' many low water areas on the land to get to the wood. If it rains, I'm s.o.l, as the ranchers I know HATE ruts and I'm inclined to agree with them,...:cheers:

That's an awesome problem to have,... I have access to a couple of tremendous places to cut, I just have to cross too' many low water areas on the land to get to the wood. If it rains, I'm s.o.l, as the ranchers I know HATE ruts and I'm inclined to agree with them,...:cheers:

Off topic, but I built a bridge just north of Oxford years ago over the Ninnescah river. We used to frequent a railroad box car bar I think was south of Oxford. I know that area, lots of good wood ground around the Ninnescah and Arkansas river.

Off topic, but I built a bridge just north of Oxford years ago over the Ninnescah river. We used to frequent a railroad box car bar I think was south of Oxford. I know that area, lots of good wood ground around the Ninnescah and Arkansas river.

Well I've been pulling 8-20 cords/year out of a friend's ranch for about 14 years now between the pastures and the river bottom areas. If you drove out and looked around, you'd have no clue that anybody had ever cut out there,... Other than wet weather here and there, I've been tremendously blessed by this opportunity!:clap::clap::clap:
Currently I know of at least 12 cords of dead fall, that are ready to be chunked and burned presently. They're my strategic reserve for years when I don't get enough green cut early enough in the winter/spring. I already have next year's wood cut, split and stacked, so I'll be soon working on two year's out wood!!!!!!

Last edited:
I had a couple of Red Elm logs at my GTG...They were from a standing dead tree I had my eye on for firewood...

For some reason they ended up getting cut into firewood after the GTG...:ices_rofl:

I love burning red elm. It burns hot ,leaves little ash,and will hardly rot at all. Around here there is not a lot left over from the dutch elm diease. There is plenty of american elm around here but the red never came back as well. dutch elm is back and spreading pretty fast around here agin. I am not sure if the red will make it through antoher round of the dutch elm.

I'm in Lawrence and would love to get a couple Red Elm logs for my dad to be able to turn into bowls on his lathe, If any of you Kansas boyscould help out on that. :)

Back