no spark MS661C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crotchclimber

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The saw was running fine a week and a half ago before I took it apart to replace the oiler worm gear. I got the part today and put it back together. First pull it fires once and then nothing. I pull the plug and grounded it on the cylinder to see for spark and I see nothing. Tried a new spark plug like this and nothing either. Checked flywheel gap and all the wires seem OK. Any ideas?

I'm guessing you didn't even take any wires off to replace the worm gear. So that's pretty odd. Best I got is to check that the switch isn't stuck in the off position?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a similar problem. Bought a new 661 in May, probly put a dozen or so tanks through it, with no problems at all. Then about 6 weeks ago I noodled a few bits then stopped the saw. Attempted to restart it while warm a few mins later and it turned over, coughed then flooded. Took the spark plug out and let it dry, cleared the cylinder, put all back together again. Tried to start, same result. Did this several times. Tried swearing at it, that didn't work either. Let it sit for half an hour and tried again, it started, turned over a few times, coughed and flooded again. Let it sit for another half hour then managed to get it to run. Once running, it was ok. I haven't used it since but got a mate to have a look at it (he's a small motor mechanic, I know next to nothing). He said the spark is inconsistent, maybe sparking properly one time in three otherwise with a weak spark or no spark. The various bits individually test ok but all put together don't work properly. He says he has seen it once before in a stihl, and replacement of the EDI unit resolved the problem. It's still under warranty so I'll take it back and they can sort it out.

Sounds similar. I got it started the next day but now that saw is at the dealer because a few weeks later we it was inconsistent in starting or staying running. Not sure if it's an ignition or mtronic issue.

Back