No wonder Stihl owners hate flippy caps!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ONLY time my flippy caps leak is when there's a little piece of wood chip/ sawdust in the o-ring spot. I DO like the old screw caps better.
I sure wish you were closer so you could show me what I'm doing wrong.

View attachment 345513 Flippy caps?? Neetest thing since sliced bread.....how could this possibly go wrong?? Stiihl guys love these things....look at the technology.....stunning.....or at least mind boggling....It's Great!! The one on top seems to work pretty good...37 yrs no leaks........the flippy?.......not so much.......
:ices_rofl:
That pic says it all. Somewhere in Germany there is a hopelessly stubborn induhvidual who is certain that flippy caps are an improvement over screw caps and that, in time, the world will see his genius.

I think the first person who comes up with a conversion kit for flippy caps to screw in caps is gonna retire well. I think Stihl oil caps do not seat properly due to operators putting a little too much oil in the tank and creating a pressure issue. The cap is too awkward to allow my fat fingers to press down enough to overcome this. I haven't broken one yet but I have cursed at a few.
yes ,overfilling can be a cause for them to not get a good seal as it seems more problems with the oil cap than fuel. i did have one that gave me a problem and my dealer installed a new one for free.

There's something wrong with this one but I haven't looked into it yet. It's difficult to get the crappy flip cap to seat properly. On a better saw the flippy cap would be a screw in design, not some type of cam lock nonsense. It's like Stihl's engineers invented a problem and came up with a nonsensical solution; the Stihl flippy cap!

I always wondered why the Stihl boys hated flippy caps so much; now I understand.
really quite simply in design and use, change te o-ring once in a while and they are fine. if it is that complex and tough for you to you use, you probably should stick to a hand saw. funny, if they are such a poor design and hard to use, husky has them now as well? it still amazes me that there are threads about this, and whats more the peoples' response to them.

really quite simply in design and use, change te o-ring once in a while and they are fine. if it is that complex and tough for you to you use, you probably should stick to a hand saw. funny, if they are such a poor design and hard to use, husky has them now as well? it still amazes me that there are threads about this, and whats more the peoples' response to them.

except husky didn't over engineer them to hell. their caps are equivalent to what they used to be except they have the flippy tab on them. i'm gonna assume they don't leak on a new saw but have the risk of leaking a week after. watch, in time i bet stihl will even copy husky's flippy's like they have everything else :p.

I've seen the old screw caps leak and break too.
If any of you were around when the 038 came out you will remember the tech bulletin that required the fuel cap to screwed down with a scrench because they came loose while running. IIRC several fires started this way. None the less I have no great love for Stihl's flippy cap. Just last week I was sending the MS200T up a rope and the flippy cap came off and dumped a tank of bar oil on the climb line.

except husky didn't over engineer them to hell. their caps are equivalent to what they used to be except they have the flippy tab on them. i'm gonna assume they don't leak on a new saw but have the risk of leaking a week after. watch, in time i bet stihl will even copy husky's flippy's like they have everything else :p.
your right , i don't know how stihl would survive if they could not copy all of husky's "innovations"

I have a saw from late 1997 and it has flippy caps and 17 years later no problems at all. Could it be operator error? Schmutz in between the o-ring and the mating surface? Someone posted a video of a child using one and it was no biggie? Also I thought someone was coming out with a direct replacement but that went no where... perhaps they could not find a child to demo it?

I have a saw from late 1997 and it has flippy caps and 17 years later no problems at all. Could it be operator error? Schmutz in between the o-ring and the mating surface? Someone posted a video of a child using one and it was no biggie? Also I thought someone was coming out with a direct replacement but that went no where... perhaps they could not find a child to demo it?
Find the kid who put the square block in the square opening and the round block in the round opening. let him demo it

Find the kid who put the square block in the square opening and the round block in the round opening. let him demo it
You are not seriously saying it is that hard for you to use a flippy cap? It is hardly a square peg in a round hole.

flippy caps suck .. plain and simple

what gets me are the constant moron comments about perhaps operator is too stupid to properly use a flippy cap.
yup operator owns a fleet of pro saws and capable of overhauling entire chainsaw but is too stupid to operate a flippy cap .. ya right .. you morons!

what gets me are the constant moron comments about perhaps operator is too stupid to properly use a flippy cap.
yup operator owns a fleet of pro saws and capable of overhauling entire chainsaw but is too stupid to operate a flippy cap .. ya right .. you morons!
Anyone have that link to the child working the flippy cap? I think if it was made a sticky it would be most useful for those with difficulties operating them. 046 excluded of course as he has a fleet of pro saws with the requisite skills to overhaul them. All kidding aside many like them some dislike them.

I have yet to meet someone who used saws professionally say they wish their screw cap saws were stihl flippy caps instead.

This sort of reminds me of the AR15 VS AK47 debate. The AR15 fanboys likes to say "Well, just keep the action clean and it will be reliable." Meanwhile the soldier in the field has to strip down their AR and clean it while the enemy is shooting at them. Whatever.

HaHaHa.......this is predictable....the stihl guys always take great umberage at any mention or opinion that a flippy cap might not be that great an idea.....I have heard a 100 times the old theme..."If you aren't smart enough to properly operate a Flippy you're an idiot, a moron....a fool"...HAHAHA!!!...They always make it personal and they always miss the point...it's a better mouse trap that isn't really better than what it replaced. The pic I posted of the flippy all apart was my flippy from my 130 Kombi.....there are, if I rember right three parts in that pic that did not come apart...bringing the total number of separate parts to 11.......it fell apart two days before I got a recall from Stihl about replacing the flippy cap....I went to the Stihl dealer I bought it from to get a new and improved free flippy cap....Nope.....had bring the Kombi in so they could professionally install and test the flippy.....to much to trust to a mere mortal I guess...The other cap in the pic is the cap from the only new saw I have ever bought....37 yrs ago...it has never leaked, had to have the gasket replaced, fell off, broken in my hand or done anything other than keep the fuel in the tank....I can open and close it with gloves or mittens on my hands in the winter no problem....I know it old technology, not modern .....change for the sake of change is not always the best move...IMHO....LOL!!

Next time you are in KC stop by my house and show me how dumb I am. I will buy dinner for you and your entourage as soon as you show me how great this cap is.

In case you don't know this, Husqvarna uses screw caps to this day. Some have flip tops, but they are ALL screw caps. They are nothing like Stihl's idiotic Rube Goldberg contraption.

Yeah... I am a well accomplished foreman in the field of directional drilling. I am responsible for the operation of a million dollars worth of sophisticated equipment every day and I run 3-4 crews at a time. I've done nearly every thing there is to do in my field and my reputation brings in weekly job offers, some of which are quite lucrative. I have run nearly every piece of equipment mankind builds en route to my current position, have a bachelors degree, and I am responsible for keeping those machines running, with or without support.

And yet I cannot get this idiotic Stihl flippy cap to seat.

I welcome any person who can come to Kansas City and show me how to operate this stupendous Goldberg contraption. I'll buy dinner and drinks for your whole party.

Latest posts

Back