Noisy 288xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reed1517

reed1517

ArboristSite Member
I rebuilt a 1988 288 recently. Split the case, new bearings, hyway cylinder and piston. Base gasket delete. It runs and feels strong but man it is a noisy motor. Doesn’t purr like other bigger saws. Not sure where to start looking if there’s anything wrong at all. Not fully tuned in video.

serdie

serdie

ArboristSite Operative
I just went thru my chinkanese 288 and used probably the same good parts that you did and mine sounds exactly like yours at idle. New bearings and seals (oem) same top end parts except a highway domed piston. Don’t use the highway wrist pin or bearing!! Not to speck. I’ve put about a months hard work on it and it’s ok so far just rattly at idle

J D

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I haven't listened to the videos for fear of waking she who sleeps next to me, but... I once had a 350 that I rebuilt with an aftermarket piston I was given & the piston had enough clearance for the rod to travel side to side by about 1.5mm... ran fine but had a distinct rattle at idle rpm. Rod was moving sideways enough to contact the counter weights

reed1517

reed1517

ArboristSite Member
Were the gudgeon bosses wider than the rod? Original video sounds very similar to what my 350 did
The piston was drilled off center. Went cheap and got a pop up from lil red barn. Just learning the hard way to use OEM whenever possible. Put the hyway piston back in the hyway cylinder. Hyway decent but not OEM.