Non-Stihl bars and chains any good on Stihl?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read several times that the Stihl bars sold in Canada are made by Oregon, not by Stihl.........:confused:

Even if it's true, what's that got to do with the USA? Pest is in the USA... )but stays close to the border to keep his option open ;))

Stihl makes it's laminated bars in VA beach (USA - since April))... Have they made it across the border yet? don't know... but the writting is on the wall.

Last edited:
Even if it's true, what's that got to do with the USA? Pest is in the USA... )but stays close to the border to keep his option open ;))

Stihl makes it's laminated bars in VA beach (USA - since April))... Have they made it across the border yet? don't know... but the writting is on the wall.

I didn't notise the "border" thing, just Canada, my mistake.......:pumpkin2:

If the stihl bar in Canada says made in Germany it is a stihl bar (most pro bars) if it says made anywhere else it may be oregon.

Jeeze....hyper sensitive to perceived brand bashing

My observation is mostly the difference in the small mount Stihl bars.

The rails are not as hard as in past small mount Stihl bars.

I have 30 year old 009 bars that show comparable wear to 2 year old bars.

I don't know where they are made and I don't really care anymore.

I do remember being told that Stihl bars were superior German steel and then they were superior because they were Ohio steel but that was a ways back now and

Ohio doesn't produce much steel anymore.

Carlton

I've been impressed with the 42" Oregon PowerMatch I use as my milling bar. Until this point, I've been fairly unimpressed with Oregon bars.

I've got a 20" GB Titanium on my 372, not enough hours yet to really tell you anything, but it's definitely a nice bar.

The good Stihl bars are top notch. I've got a well used 36" and a newer 36".

I've got two of the Carlton bars that Baileys no longer sells, made by Tsumura (sic?), which are very good as well. Have a 24" with a few hours on it, and it is holding up very well. Have a 16" I haven't used yet.

That is my relatively limited experience with bars.

Mark

And what'd you think of Carlton Bars Mark??? I've seen'em but never had the chance to try one out yet. For me, I'm pretty abusive on bars... Go Figger'!!! With all the twisting and yanking I do it's a wonder I still have any bars to use, lmao...

Cheers
Dude

What about Sandvik? I have one on the wall waiting for my Oregon Power match to go south - still running fine btw - I just like spare parts on hand.

the forester bar I had the tip split never had that problem before or after on any other bar.Have a total superbar and the carlton from baileys same bar really hold up well.

oregon on my Saws

i run Oregon bars on all my saws with Oregon chainsaw chain:cheers: i support Oregon because it is a company in my state. I have run woodsman pro chains aka Carlton chains.they cut great just too soft for dirty wood. the woodsman pro i the easiest too file due too the softer steel. Stihl chains are way too hard too hand file,they are still a good all around chain just more pricey than other manufactures:clap:
just my beer monies worth
cheers mates:cheers:

Would there be a noticeable weight difference between a 25" Stihl Es and a 25" GB titanium on a ms361? I don't have a problem with my ES but with all the talk about balance I'm wondering if I would benefit from the Ti. Yes I could go shorter but in the Doug fir I cut it pulls the 25" fine and I like having the extra length.

iStihl chains are way too hard too hand file,they are still a good all around chain just more pricey than other manufactures:clap:

??? All I've used is the Stihl chain and I've never had a problem hand filing them. I like them Because I can cut enough wood to fill my 6x10x3 trailer without having to sharpen the chain, just touch it up when I get home and it's ready for the next days cutting.

??? All I've used is the Stihl chain and I've never had a problem hand filing them. .....

Ditto, unless the file is worn out, for normal touch-up, but there is a differense vs Oregon.....

...but they are a pain if damadged, and in need of a lot of filing - those are put aside, for a winter "hobby", but so are the Oregons.....:D

I prefere Stihl when I have the option, for both bars and chain.

I would have loved to have one of those adaptors, so I could use Stihl bars on the 372xp.

Last edited:
ok made my choice

Alright, I will get a Stihl ES bar and RSC or RSC3 chain for my 028. I cut maybe about 1/10 the wood the rest of you do, so this setup will last me forever. Now I just have to decide between 18" and 20" on my 028. I plan a mild muffler mod so I think it will pull the 20".

Wish I got this much advice about my old blower on my other thread, but that's a different story.

Oregon 16" bar/chain work great on my MS280 (came with an OEM 18"er). Chain ran VERY stiff in the bar at first, but it felt more normal after a few minutes run time. No oil delivery problems or the like.

18" bar

18" bar and stihl rm chain, lower the riders a few thous and enjoy:greenchainsaw:

Alright, I will get a Stihl ES bar and RSC or RSC3 chain for my 028. I cut maybe about 1/10 the wood the rest of you do, so this setup will last me forever. Now I just have to decide between 18" and 20" on my 028. I plan a mild muffler mod so I think it will pull the 20". ....

"Will pull" - of course it will, but how well????

What is good enough is up to you, though.......:greenchainsaw:

Lower the riders?

18" bar and stihl rm chain, lower the riders a few thous and enjoy:greenchainsaw:

How much can I file them down? Does that make a low-kickback chain cut faster? Will try it on my old Pull-on's $15 chain. Not much to lose there.

I'm beginning to think that the Forrester bars are being made by everybody!
Checked the Forrester bar on my 254xp last nite, Windsor, made in Canada.

Ed

Back