NorCal Woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Dill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
New here and just wanted to introduce myself with a quick introduction; I am the Senior Wildlife Biologist for a Timber Company and I am a member of a new boutique specialty wood group within the Company trying to provide rarer and hard to find pieces including reclaimed old growth redwood.

Additionally, and on a personal note, I collect and process local hardwoods for wood turners and others, but most is not over 42 inches long since i often hike these out of local forests [with permission].

Take a look at the woods we have been working on below and give me some feedback on if you have used similar type pieces and what they might be used for. I am curious as to your ideas.

The redwood is too soft, and the others would only make 2-piece stock for shotguns at best. I was hoping the wood turners and box makers will ike what I am getting.

Figured woods

I will just say I don't have a ton of woodworking experience but I did tons of research before I bought the materials for building a electric guitar and some of that stuff looks like it would make really nice tops (usually 3/4" thick) anything figured like flame maple (but not limited to) that can be bookmatched goes for alot I think I paid about $120 for a mediocre peice that you could bookmatch the flames together and get it wide enough to bandsaw a top out and it was 3/4" thick but not much wood left over and that was just the top not the backside but I happened to have a peice of mahogany for that. If I were you I would look up Musical instruments makers forum, that is a very active site of professional and amateur builders that share info, that goes for anybody else on here that cuts lumber to sell and has something that might be worthwhile for instrument building I know maple, mahogany, walnut and ash(bass guitars), thin Spruce(acoustic tops), poplar heck even Oak (brian may from Queen built a guitar with his dad that he used most of his career from oak ,his red special guitar!!) When I was actively posting question a few years ago people would ask if they could use pine ect. just because I assume they thought it would be really expensive to use something like ash or walnut but a suitable board with no figure thats about 2" thick and just big enough for one guitar shouldn't cost 80 bucks maybe i'm wrong could be good for those selling lumber they have cut and good for the people seeking quality stuff to build with!! Just thought i'd pass this along if anyone sells some stuff to someone on there let me know how it works out!! Take care irishcountry

Back