Northern grinder help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

314epw

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
On most chain sharpening how does the tilt work?Set it at 10 degrees forward and do both sides.Or set 10 degrees for one side and change to the 10 degrees for the other side?
thanks
Ed

For round ground chain, set the vertical pitch at 60 degrees.

Set the horizontal angle (right & left teeth) at 30 degrees for semi-chisel, 25 degrees for chisel tooth. Quite a bit different for ripping chain, but I have no experience there, so I can't advise.

If your table has an angle adjustment in it (horizontal axis parallel to the cut), I have always left it at zero. Some may prefer otherwise. This angle change will alter the fit of the wheel into the tooth and also the precise shape of the gullet where it meets the wheel. Experiment, and see what you like.

Last edited:
grinder help

I understand the 60 degree,and the 25 or 30 degree for the top of the cutters.What I'm asking about is after you swing to the 30 degree or 25 degree angle,there is also an adjustment from zero to 10 degrees.

I understand the 60 degree,and the 25 or 30 degree for the top of the cutters.What I'm asking about is after you swing to the 30 degree or 25 degree angle,there is also an adjustment from zero to 10 degrees.

Yes. Standard issue on many grinders, esp. Oregon. Read my post again, I edited it to include the "long horizontal axis" angle adjustment. Perhaps you missed it on the first read.

Most full-chisel chains ( flat top plate meets flat side plate at right angle with a sharp point at front of tooth ) call for a 10 degree horizontal tilt of the file. On the sharpener just click the chain vise to the position that lifts the heel of the tooth above the front point of the tooth. Do all teeth on one side of the chain, then reverse both the vise tilt and top plate angle and do the teeth on the other side.

Most full-chisel chains ( flat top plate meets flat side plate at right angle with a sharp point at front of tooth ) call for a 10 degree horizontal tilt of the file. On the sharpener just click the chain vise to the position that lifts the heel of the tooth above the front point of the tooth. Do all teeth on one side of the chain, then reverse both the vise tilt and top plate angle and do the teeth on the other side.

Don't get upset with me, because I have not looked up the "right" way to grind chisel tooth for a long time, but is the 10 dgree tilt important when you are grinding, rather than filing ?

Since the wheel intersects the tooth along a flat plane, it doesn't seem to me that the horizontal tilt will make any difference at all, only the stopping depth on the grinder will change anything there.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

grinder help

I just sharpened 2 chains.1 was 325 pitch stihl rm,and I used zero tilt on the machine.The other was a whinsor.Dropped the depth gauge down to 40 thou.Cut cut very good big chips stayed sharp for a full face cord of red oak.Will continue with same chain tommorow.Oh ,for the hell of it ,the top angle was 30 degrees instead of 25.
Ed

If your grinder has the flexibility, its best to grind both sides of the chain in the same direction, ie, outside in, or inside out, for a uniform performance when cutting with the chain. Some grinders do not have this flexibility; and, hence you grind one side 'inside out' and the other side 'outside in'. Grinding it "outside in" prevents burrs on the outside of the chain tooth.

I can set the tilt of my grinder on both sides of perpendicular; and, I can move the chain holder in and out 10 degrees as well. That way I get the identical grind on both sides of the chain, and I use outside in on both sides.

The older Oregon grinders only had the 60 degree tilt on one side; and, you can not move the chain holder in or out, so its a 'zero' degree grind on the chain. Lots of chains are sharpened this way with no complaints. I think it boils down to how professional you want to be about the whole thing.

Lots of chains are sharpened this way with no complaints. I think it boils down to how professional you want to be about the whole thing.

Hey, let's be nice here. I am thoroughly professional about my sharpening, I just don't seem to share your viewpoint about grinding on a tilt.

Just look at all the threads about grinding vs filing, how to file, how to grind. It's really ridiculous how some folks are convinced that their way is the only way to do something well.

Latest posts

Back