Northern Tool 37 ton logsplitter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

City Slicker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you guys have experience with on of these. It has the nice 9 horse Honda motor with idle control and a Barnes 16 gpm pump. Don't know how the Barnes pump compares to others on the market? Any feedback is appreciated!

Haldex Barnes is the most common supplier of two stage pumps.
Anything else, I'd want to know who made it where.....

Northern used to private label Barnes as Northern brand. NT originally was started as Northern Hydraulics, selling surplus hyrd stuff to splitter builders, go kart builders, lots of home stuff. It was a small place in Burnsville Mn in the 70's, close to me. I think NH just sells now under the barnes name.

The catalog link has not worked for a long time, but the dimensions and some curves are here.
http://www.hbus.haldex.com/products/hgp.htm#anchor809173

k

I have one that I am selling. Only used for three cords. It was too slow for me and I want a true four way. Check out the for sale fourm.

I dont have the 37 ton monster, but this fall I bought the 22 tonner, which looks like the same splitter, with obvious differences. Being they are pretty much set-up the same, I can say I like my unit. I like the height of the splitter, there is no bending over in the horizontal position, to run the controls. The splitter I use to rent, had me bent over so much, that my back was more sore from running the control, than it was from picking up the wood. I wrestled over the 22 or 30 ton model. I was leaning towards the 30,
with the gx motor, but wasnt fond of the slower cycle time, compared to the 22. And I got to thinking, most of my woods is red oak and ash, and both split good, so I most likely wouldnt need a 30 ton unit. And I could see that the 22 ton model had the same frame, tank, I-beam, control, wheels, as the larger units. So I saved a few pennies and bought the smaller one. I dont regret the decision. It has split everything in its path so far. I know there are nice features of the larger units. The honda gx, is a great motor. I see the GX used is every area of construction, running just about everything that needs a motor. The idle control could be a plus, I know a 9hp can be a bit noisy. As far as the assembly goes, I choose to assemble mine and save the hundred bucks they charge to do it for you. If you go this route, its pretty easy, but you will need help when it comes to standing up the I-beam. That puppy is heavy. I have a bobcat, which came in mighty handy for standing it on end. And thats about the worst part of the assembly, standing up the beam. But once the beam is mounted to the frame. The splitter is very well balanced, and easy to maneuver around by hand. I use my 4 wheeler to tow it into my splitting area in the woods. Another thing I remember I like is the log stripper. If the wedge is caught in a chunk of wood, just retract the ram and wood will be stopped by the stripper, and the wedge will retract and pull itself out of the chunk of wood. This feature is used more in the vertical position than horiz. Because in vertical, larger rounds are normally being split. And sometimes the larger rounds will not split in half the first try. So when the ram is retracted, the round will lift up with the wedge and fall off when it hits the stripper. A nice feature. I noticed about 2 weeks ago at the local NT store. The splitters were 10% off. I'm not sure if they currently are. Good luck

Why are you looking to get such a large splitter?

Latest posts

Back