Northern Tool Chain grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan_IN_MN

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hello

I've desided to get a chain sharpener.

Does anyone know or have an idea of when the sharpener from Northern Tool goes on sale? Have you seen a pattern? Sooner rather than latter would be nice! :rock:

Thanks

Dan

I'm sure this thread will be noticed. Someone will post (on sale for $xx.xx) thats when I bought mine.

I think they were $89.00 then.

I like mine a lot, but only use it when I rock a chain.
Good luck!

I had one once gave it away it a friend then he gave it too one of his freinds..lol..Now I have a Oregon Grinder model 511ax what a big difference. I saved up for it but well worth it..That is the same one my friend bought too..We got them from Bailey's.

I had one once gave it away it a friend then he gave it too one of his freinds..lol..Now I have a Oregon Grinder model 511ax what a big difference. I saved up for it but well worth it..That is the same one my friend 1bought too..We got them from Bailey's.

I know that the castings do require a bit of work when you first get them....

What differences do/did you notice?

I used a NT chain grinder at the last gtg and didn't have a problem.

Thanks for the input.

Anyone else have some input?

Dan

I looked at their web site and they were $129.95. Is the sale only at the store? The nearest store for me is ~.5 hour drive.

Thanks!

I'm on their mailing list, and they send out flyers of their sales, Usually $89 to $99 on sale. Don't know of a pattern though.
I really like mine. I took an old chain to practice setting it up, and learning how it works. You get a 'Stone with it and 3 grinding wheels.

It was a bit of a challenge to put together as I've never seen one before and their instructions aren't all that clear.

It's well built and mounts easily to my workbench. Someone on AS said it's nearly identical to the OREGON 511. I like to think that's what it is too......:msp_biggrin:

Carlton 510C

Edge & Engine has a Carlton 510C that is the same as Oregon 510A, both made in Italy for I think 169.99. I am considering one of these after reading good reviews on here of them and I think they are a sponser on here. I bought a tach from them and received it next day. Try a search on here for ''Carlton 510C '' lots of good reading,I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about the Northern grinder myself. Another tool I don't "need" but "want" I guess. I can wait for it to go on sale.

had mine quite awhile.
put a light in it to shine on the wheel.

attachment.php

I have the NT and an Oregon 511A I the only thing I find different is the NT grindiing head goes up higher than the Oregon. Got it on Ebay New for 47.00 with a slight crack where the guard mounts hurts nothing. Was going to set it up to grind rakers. Looks identical, use will tell. Shep

I have a foley belsaw 503 It is belt drive and is 100% awesome!!!

One day I am going to modify it with larger pulley. Make that thing super charged.

I picked up a Northern grinder for $109. Right now they are $119 and I had a $10 off coupon. I was wanting to see them on sale for $89 but decided I couldn't wait. I have quite a few rocked chains and some with cutters that are way out of true. Never used a grinder before so I'm looking forward to the experience.

Couldn't justify $300+ for the Oregon.

Last edited:
I think it depends how much money you have to spend and how much wood you cut. I cut 3-5 cord a year and am a student and sort of a new cutter that gets a lot of yard trees so I'd either hit some metal in there or hit the dirt so a grinder is my best friend. For the 89 bucks I paid and I didn't do any mods to it it will get a chain razor sharp for me.

Latest posts

Back