Northern Tool CSM sale.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

85 Bears

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello Group,

I would like to start milling some logs for personnel use.
Currently I have a Husqvarna 445 with an 18 in chain.
Will this work with the following CSMs?

Thanks,

Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Model# G777
ORDER TODAY AND SAVE $25
Item# 11879
Was $149.99
Sale $124.99

Alaskan MK III Portable Lumber Mill, Model# G776-24
ORDER TODAY AND SAVE $30
Item# 11871
Was $189.99
Sale $159.99

Alaskan MK III Portable Lumber Mill, Model# G776-30
ORDER TODAY AND SAVE $30
Item# 11872
Was $199.99
Sale $169.99

Alaskan MK III Portable Lumber Mill, Model# G776-36
ORDER TODAY AND SAVE $35
Item# 11873
Was $219.99
Sale $184.99

Hello Group,

I would like to start milling some logs for personnel use.
Currently I have a Husqvarna 445 with an 18 in chain.
Will this work with the following CSMs?

The 445 is a homeowner saw made for occasional firewood cutting and tree trimming. While an experienced miller could make it mill small logs, given you are just starting and will make mistakes along the way I wouldn't use that saw for anything other than a brief " try out milling" on a <12" diameter 3 ft long log. Inexperienced continuous milling with that saw will quickly kill it.

Old school well built 50cc chain saws are a reasonable starting point for CS milling otherwise I'd be looking at a pro-level 60cc new saw, something like a Husky 357 would be a minimum provided you only milled small logs, while a 372 would allow you to mill the occasional 20" log.

I got the 36 inch CSM and already want a bigger one. You can always adjust the mill smaller for small logs. Save your 455 for trimming and look for a good used big saw. I'd look for something close to 100cc's.

Milling is very hard on a saw. The newer small saws just won't last. I started with a Dolmar 6400, which is 64cc and it worked great to learn on and still works great for my mini-mill, I have since switched to the 70cc class with my 045, which is 75cc, it mills even better the the Dolmar. The higher the cc, the better you can mill, even the small stuff. I found that 045 for $40.00 and it works great. Try to learn a little, a very little, with that 445 and then maybe try to find a good deal on a big saw.

To the OP -
Yes it will work with any of them.

BUT - How big is your wood? How hard is your wood? How much space do you have to swing the mill? How much do you want to spend?

For instance here's my son milling a 12" red maple log with a 36" Alaskan and a 28" bar on a Stihl 660 (91CC):

attachment.php

It's definitely overkill. My JD CS62 (62CC) could have handled it with ease, w/ a 20" bar..

My 42" bar (about the max a 36" Alaskan handles) would have been worse.
attachment.php

When I started milling I bought the 36" Alaskan and had my JD CS62 and a 28" bar. It was good on 14", slow on 18", bogging on 20" red maple. However the 36" size (max cut 32") should handle 90% of the wood I HAD.

Since then I've found that the 36" w/ a 660 and a 42" bar is about the max I want to swing around on a routine basis.

If you do get a mill and look for a bigger saw get one w/ an inboard clutch and a side chain tensioner, two little things that make a difference.

Oh - and Baileys sells the 36" for 199.95 and has free shipping on orders over $200.

Hi and Welcome,

If you have the time deals on used saws can be found. I started looking last year because I'm going to build a micro home on some land I bought a few years ago and I'd like to do the interior with milled wood as a project for next winter, making some of my own furniture also. Most of what we have around here are softwoods and I'd like to make some slab tables in the 32 to 36" width. From the info I gathered on here I figured that would take me a 90cc+ saw.

I already had some specialized tools for husky's so I started looking for a 394/395 and searching craigslist and ebay. I found a flat spot where people weren't buying last august and was able to pick up a 394 with a 33" bar for just under 400 shipped from a seller in BC who sells alot of saws on ebay and has really stellar feedback. I figured it was a fellers saw and they'd have run good mix through it. Luckily, I think I was right, I had to replace a chain brake cover, and a few other small parts, probably about $60 in parts. The piston and jug are perfect.

I finally had cause to fire it up to fell a couple of trees and take care of a storm blow down and it is awsome powerful. I have confidence that it will perform well in the milling tasks I have for it.

I'd suggest you tell us what you want to mill and what wood is available in your area. You'll get some great recomendations as to what will work well for you.

Sean

Thanks for all of the input.
I had put the milling on hold for the winter and would like to start at it now.
We have 7.5 mostly wooded acres with oaks, maple, chokecherry, mulberry, sassafras and some cottonwood around the pond.
I would like to make some bookshelves, wine racks and cabinets.
The wife gave me the go ahead to purchase a new saw for milling. Her brother works for a local Deere dealer that also full-line Stihl dealer. I think he could get me a 10% discount.
Would the 441 series be good for the trees I have available?
Thanks,
Rich

I had put the milling on hold for the winter and would like to start at it now.
We have 7.5 mostly wooded acres with oaks, maple, chokecherry, mulberry, sassafras and some cottonwood around the pond.
The wife gave me the go ahead to purchase a new saw for milling. Her brother works for a local Deere dealer that also full-line Stihl dealer. I think he could get me a 10% discount.
Would the 441 series be good for the trees I have available?
Thanks,
Rich

Your BIL should let you demo a 660 and a 441. Then you can let him know which one he should buy so you can borrow it and never return it:msp_tongue:

Surely they get some blown saws you could re-build cheap.:clap:

<snip> oaks, maple, chokecherry, mulberry, sassafras and some cottonwood around the pond.
<snip>
Rich

Hardwoods require hard power. If you are doing only 18" or less wood the 441 should be fine. If you get much bigger you'll need a 660 class machine (like in my photo above). Also remember you'll need a planer or similar to finish the wood, unless you like a real rough look.

And a ptarmigan said - used is good, the top 660 powerhead in my pic was $700, w/ muf mod and a woods port by Snelling.
The lower one was $515 and I put on a DP muffler cover. Both of them handle the 42" bar buried in maple.

Here's one, but it may be only a 36" bar.

Back