Norwood portamill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pioneer_boy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hey guys

im just wondering if anybody on here has any experience with a norwood porta mill. its a carriage style CSM. i have used a lm 2000 and didnt like it a whole lot. this would be a weekend toy i guess you could say.

hey guys

im just wondering if anybody on here has any experience with a norwood porta mill. its a carriage style CSM. i have used a lm 2000 and didnt like it a whole lot. this would be a weekend toy i guess you could say.
Translation: I test drove a Porsche but didn't like it a whole lot...but was wondering does anyone have any experience with the VW Beatle? :bang:

im thinking about buying one just for occasional use. i was just wondering if anybody has used one or if there are any drawbacks to them.

You already have the the saws, so why not make or buy yourself a small log mill (about $150 in Canada) and go do some milling and see if it gets in your veins or not.

so ive decided to go with an alaskan or granberg CSM and am wondering what the experienced people recommend for larger pine 20-40 inches, hemlock 25-40+inches, and medium sized hardwood 12-36 inches. the hardwood is mostly birch and a little bit of maple. the lengths will range from 6ft up to approx 20ft. im new to CSMs so please forgive the questions.

Start out small.........very small..........max tree diameter in the 12-16" range (you have any idea how much even a pine in that diameter at a 8' lenght weighs in at?? 500+ lbs). Trees in the diamter you are looking at are not suited for a Norwood Portamill, but are for an Alaskan (Granberg is the Alaskan unless home made) you'd just need to start looking for a bigger saw. I wouldn't go more than 24" on your 372.

You will quickly realize your gonna need alot of ancillary equipment, so start small and add as your needs change.

Back