Not a big fan of sassafras

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wackydeejay

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got a bunch of sassafras that I've had split for about a year. Am I the only one here who doesn't like burning it? It burns like it's wet, although splitting it again shows an internal moisture content of about 15%. When you clank it together it has a good high pitched sound. Bottom line is it should be plenty dry enough to burn well. But, this stuff leaves lots of nasty black ash, smokes like a mammer-jammer, and you have to leave the air flow nearly wide open to keep a good burn. I am half tempted to chop all mine up to kindling! :angry:

I never burned it, but I made a lot of Sassafras tea when I was a youngster. Loved that stuff!

It doesn't rank very high on the BTU chart at 18,000,000 BTU's per cord, so I wouldn't cut it for firewood when Hedge, Locust and Oak is plentiful in my area.

For me it boils down to labor per BTU.

That's odd.

We burn a LOT of Sassafrass. Matter of fact it's what's burning right now and is only like 6 months seasoned.

When it's good and dry, it burns hot and rather fast.
Something isn't right.

Draft? Moisture meter gone goofy?

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Got one neighbor on the road. He burns it too, as it's a weed around here. Smells OK, but not as good as Cherry.

Chicken and fish are darn tasty when done in Sassafrass, but I don't run the smoker much these days.

I drop off lopped up Sassafrass saplings occaisionaly at a buddys Rib joint. We get painfully good brisket in exchange.:D

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The sassafras I have burned seemed to well when fresh cut, very easy to split, but not good for overnight fires. I sparks like crazy in the stove also. Are you sure you have sassafras?

That's odd.

We burn a LOT of Sassafrass. Matter of fact it's what's burning right now and is only like 6 months seasoned.

Something isn't right.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Coworker cut up storm damage Sassafras in the late summer and is burning it now. Hes got no problems. All he says is the BTU output is low.:msp_smile:

That's odd.

Something isn't right.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

It does burn fairly hot, but like you said it burns fast. It doesn't burn so well with the air choked off where I'd have it with other stuff, though. Drafting is fine here. I get good 8+ hour overnight burns with no visible smoke when I load 'er up with good wood. As for my meter, who knows. It's a cheap meter anyway.

The sassafras I have burned seemed to well when fresh cut, very easy to split, but not good for overnight fires. I sparks like crazy in the stove also. Are you sure you have sassafras?

Yeah, compared to photos online it seems to be. Several old timers in my neighborhood have identified it as well, so I'd say it is. It's light and has that orange-ish tint on the bark like everything else I've been told over the years is sassafras. And, yes it does spark a bit.

It does burn fairly hot, but like you said it burns fast. It doesn't burn so well with the air choked off where I'd have it with other stuff, though. Drafting is fine here. I get good 8+ hour overnight burns with no visible smoke when I load 'er up with good wood. As for my meter, who knows. It's a cheap meter anyway.

LOL!!
Then the Sassafrass isn't dry despite your moisture gizzie.
When dry, it's like ya soaked it in Diesel, and will tolerate bieng choked down just fine. One of the reasons it's a good shoulder season wood. Possibly it got wet from rain/snow recently?

We went through about 8 splits all day with the 7100 damped down to keep the house below 72 LOL!! Getting warm outside in the day.
Working on a 5 hour burn with the last load right now.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

A few years ago, a fellow from the town where I live donated a couple of nice sassafras boards to my wood class at school. We surfaced them, and it was a great learning experience for my class. The aroma was wonderful. We made a nice endtable out of it. The grain was unremarkable, but it finished up nice. I let a kid take it home at the end of the year.

My opinion:

Not very dense, similar to aspen
Nice tan/orange color
Took a finish well
Easy to work

I would expect it to burn similar to aspen or white birch

Bob

LOL!!
Then the Sassafrass isn't dry despite your moisture gizzie.
When dry, it's like ya soaked it in Diesel, and will tolerate bieng choked down just fine. One of the reasons it's a good shoulder season wood. Possibly it got wet from rain/snow recently?

We went through about 8 splits all day with the 7100 damped down to keep the house below 72 LOL!! Getting warm outside in the day.
Working on a 5 hour burn with the last load right now.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Well you may very well be right. It has been under the porch where we keep out current season's wood, so I don't think it got wet outside. But, it may very well have not been as dry as I thought.

Latest posts

Back