Not a chainsaw, but related! Husqvarna 132R

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McPherson

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
**Please move post to the proper section if it's not okay here.**

Hi,

been away for a while, didn't have much time to spend on my saws.
I just bought a Husqvarna 132R brushcutter for $30 (40$ CAN) on kijiji. Seller says "hard to start" and comes with a box full of spare parts (read: whole engine + some fairings, new carb kit, etc). When cleaned, it looked like almost new!

I've changed the fuel lines, gaz filter, cleaned the carb and new spark plug. Compression is at about 120psi.

Everything was fine. But i still have issues starting it up when cold (have to put gaz directly in carb with a seringe).

When looking at the carb, there's a pump bulb on the bottom and on the back there's a small "button" but I don't know what he's doing, never seen that kind of carb before. Also no adjustment screws, only one for idle speed.
I think it's a Walbro.

Can anyone give me some tips about the "button" and what to look for to make her start correct when cold?

Thanks!

McPherson

EDIT: If somebody have the shop manual / parts list, I would like to but a blade on it (main reason I bought it) but look like some parts are missing to put one) I would like to have those documents!

Pic of button?

-•------------------------------------------------------------

Just a home owner that likes the older better made machines

Craftsman 3.7
Echo 290evl

Pic of button?

Craftsman 3.7
Echo 290evl

Not mine, but exactly the same.
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjn3538j_LPAhXFWz4KHc-2DaoQjRwIBw&url=http://husqvarna132r.wz.cz/&psig=AFQjCNFC5MzJR3d4dufSP8krt0FP9jHUnw&ust=1477353272974373

The button is the black one on that pic (notice on the top left of the crank handle, small black button), there's also a sticker on the fairing that says to press it, but when and why?!
http://husqvarna132r.wz.cz/BIG/IMG_8286.jpg

Nop! no choke. The button is going back as soon as you depress it. When the engine is running and I press it, there's bubbles going through what seems to be the overflow hose.

Is the button a fancy way of pressing the primer bulb? I have seen that on a Husqvarna Blower. You push the button and it presses the primer bulb for you? Is the primer bulb on the bottom of the carb accessible?

Yep, the purge bulb can be accessed. Seems to be 2 separate things, but i don't have a clue what it does! Could that be a kind of bypass, like you have to press the button when purging with the bulb at the same time?

I would assume it's the choke. hold it down while starting, seems to be a stupid design but that's what I think it is, my husquvarna hedge trimmer has a choke lever in same place

Craftsman 3.7
Echo 290evl

Good luck!

Craftsman 3.7
Echo 290evl

If it was the choke, when you press it and the engine is running, it would shut off, or at least run very differently. Bubbles through an overflow hose seems to indicate a primer of some description. I can't find anything in the IPL that helps, maybe McPherson can? - http://www.smaf-touseau.com/hpdf/7761

On that manual, it looks like a manual needle lever button,
So maybe hold button for a few seconds and see if it starts easier when cold?

Craftsman 3.7
Echo 290evl

Ok, after a lot of reading and looking on the web, i've found that the carb seems a lot like (if it's not) a Walbro WYK-10.
http://www.walbro.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/WYKseries.pdf

So, the button is a "starter button - prime", and as it's written it is supposed to force fuel from the pump of the carb into the nozzle.

My understanding is that the purge bulb it only filling the bottom (pump section) of the carb, and when i press the button it send some of that pumped fuel direclty in the carb by the main jet? (but with which pressure??)

It's magic

Craftsman 3.7
Echo 290evl

Haha i'm starting to think of something magic yeah! So you were right about the part of holding the button 3-4 seconds and start!
I'll try that tomorrow and see if it helps.

Ok, after a lot of reading and looking on the web, i've found that the carb seems a lot like (if it's not) a Walbro WYK-10.
http://www.walbro.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/WYKseries.pdf

So, the button is a "starter button - prime", and as it's written it is supposed to force fuel from the pump of the carb into the nozzle.

My understanding is that the purge bulb it only filling the bottom (pump section) of the carb, and when i press the button it send some of that pumped fuel direclty in the carb by the main jet? (but with which pressure??)

The clear bulb that we call a "primer" actually isn't. It is properly called a purge bulb most of the time. It simple forces fuel through the fuel pump diaphrams back into the tank purging air, hence the name. A primer usuallys exert phisical or air pressure to force fuel phisically threw the main jet in the carb venturi. You have it right. Some carbs don't have a choke and work like you describe. Chric C, the poulan porting guy, was who I saw mention them

I did some tests yesterday. When only purging air with the bulb and then holding the button 4-5 seconds (as described in the walbro doc) it does about nothing. But purging the air (4-5 purge pulse) and after holding the button while purging again 3-4 times, seems to go better.. I'll have to try few cold starts again but for now that's the best way i've saw.

Well, both. She was hard to start, but after SEVERAL cord pull. With no proper "sequence" or knowledge of how this particular carb with the button works, that could be the only thing why it's hard to start when cold. I've never faced that kind of primer before, and since it was running good otherwise and starting easily when hot, I figured that I was just not doing something right when cold. Can't say it's perfect but seems better.

Latest posts

Back