Not an Oil Thread, but.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
An "oiler" thread. I got my sprocket nose jammed on my 460 today. I was running RSC on a 20" bar, and it stopped. Srocket tip full of chips, dry bar and chain. I got it freed up and noticed the oil was barely moving. Yes it was very cold, and no, I do not have winter weight oil.

Here is my question: DO all Stihls with adjustable oilers open up in the same direction? I always thought you turn it to the left to open up the oiler, but apparently on the 460 it is the opposite. So, I would like some guidance on this critical issue.

As an aside, I think the EPA should realize that it produces a lot more pollution to manufacture new bars and chains to replace those burned up due to oil starvation than it does when a bit of oil is left in the pile of sawchips. They could mandate Eco-Oil if they like, just let my saw oil like that old 028 I am tuning up!!!!!!:angrysoapbox: :angrysoapbox: :angrysoapbox:

Oh by the way, a 460 with RSC on a 20" bar is an flippin' AWESOME combination! CLAFBOH!!!!:rock: :rockn:

Last edited:
As an aside, I think the EPA should realize

That would assume rational thinking--- govenment lackeys and toadies have other than common sense agendas. All of my saw adjustable oilers open up to the left. In the cold months, I just open the oiler up until I notice drips on my boots. Not very scientific, but it works. :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
Pardon me for a brief off-topic post!

An "oiler" thread. I got my sprocket nose jammed on my 460 today. I was running RSC on a 20" bar, and it stopped. Srocket tip full of chips, dry bar and chain. I got it freed up and noticed the oil was barely moving. Yes it was very cold, and no, I do not have winter weight oil.

Here is my question: DO all Stihls with adjustable oilers open up in the same direction? I always thought you turn it to the left to open up the oiler, but apparently on the 460 it is the opposite. So, I would like some guidance on this critical issue.

As an aside, I think the EPA should realize that it produces a lot more pollution to manufacture new bars and chains to replace those burned up due to oil starvation than it does when a bit of oil is left in the pile of sawchips. They could mandate Eco-Oil if they like, just let my saw oil like that old 028 I am tuning up!!!!!!:angrysoapbox: :angrysoapbox: :angrysoapbox:

Oh by the way, a 460 with RSC on a 20" bar is an flippin' AWESOME combination! CLAFBOH!!!!:rock: :rockn:

Well, I haven't seen Jed Clampet lately and always wonder if the EPA brought harm upon him for that shot that brought the "bubblin' crude" from the bowels of the earth to its outer sensitive skin.

Ya there Jed?

Joat

Well, I haven't seen Jed Clampet lately and always wonder if the EPA brought harm upon him for that shot that brought the "bubblin' crude" from the bowels of the earth to its outer sensitive skin.

Ya there Jed?

Joat

I think ol' Jed might have been pre-EPA. Or maybe he was covered under some type of grandfather clause......:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back