Not another MS261 thread...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New owner of an MS 261. So far as good as everyone that owns one says about it.

I just picked up a lightly used MS261 from the dealer's driver. He was also rather disappointed in it. Honestly, I think he needs a 70cc saw, but still, something didn't seem right. I just brought it home. Without touching a thing on it, it was turning 14,300. The H needle was as rich as it could go. No wonder! I removed the limiter and it's where it should be at about 13,900-14,000. I told him all it needed was a MM and a tune. It's getting the MM right now. I'm waiting for the muffler to cool off.

How lean was your 261 running Matt? This one I just picked up was turning 14,300, straight 2-stroking. I modded the muffler, removed the carb limiter, and retuned to 13,900-14,000. It'll be a completely different saw now.

Brad, not to butt in, mine came from the dealer lean, an he tach'd it at 14,260-14,300 before he handed it off to me. I've got the d***er to remove the limiter cap and we've got it set at 14,000. I've got to get around to modding the muffler, I've got the tubes, but I'm going to get a deflector and do it the way you do, it just looks cleaner. Got to go to town on Mon. to get the 460 off to Simon, time to pick up a deflector.

How lean was your 261 running Matt? This one I just picked up was turning 14,300, straight 2-stroking. I modded the muffler, removed the carb limiter, and retuned to 13,900-14,000. It'll be a completely different saw now.

Hi mate.
My 261 was pulling 14,200rpm and also set as rich as it could go. After trimming the H tab I tuned it to 13,800rpm and it became a COMPLETELY different saw :) It honestly went from one of the most gutless, disappointing saws I've owned to one of the most impressive. Can't believe 400rpm could make such a difference!

Last edited:
261 w/ wood boss bar guide

Hello,

I just received a new MS 261 as a birthday gift and was surprised to find a "wood boss" bar guide on it; I requested the 18" bar. I think that they come with the "E" which is what the wood boss is (I think), yet some state that they get the "ES" bar with the pro saws ... did the dealer give me a cheaper bar or is all well? :)

Thanks for your help.
Berb

Hello,

I just received a new MS 261 as a birthday gift and was surprised to find a "wood boss" bar guide on it; I requested the 18" bar. I think that they come with the "E" which is what the wood boss is (I think), yet some state that they get the "ES" bar with the pro saws ... did the dealer give me a cheaper bar or is all well? :)

Thanks for your help.
Berb

I can't help you there as I got mine in 3/8" and it came with a 16" ES bar. I think they can come with either bar - the E is lighter and some people favour the laminated bars on smaller saws but the ES is more expensive.

Brad,
Post some pictures of your muffler modification to the 261 please. I have used the "lakeside Andy" technique on my 361 and 441 and really like the improved performance on both. Also, does it require a special Stihl tool to remove the limiter stops on the 261, it appears to be different than my other MS Stihl models. Thanks

Steve

261 sounds like a fun little saw the only 2 saws on my mind that I think of buying next is a 261 or 440. A bunch of used saws also of course but those are the 2 new ones ide like to have.

Brad,
Post some pictures of your muffler modification to the 261 please. I have used the "lakeside Andy" technique on my 361 and 441 and really like the improved performance on both. Also, does it require a special Stihl tool to remove the limiter stops on the 261, it appears to be different than my other MS Stihl models. Thanks

Steve

There is a good chance that a few of us have removed the limiter tabs in different ways. On the 261 the limiter "tab" is cast into the alloy sleeve the H jet is encased by. I simply ground it out with a tungsten bit on my Dremel. I removed the H jet with a drywall screw and some pliers - it pulled out which gives you a better idea as to what I'm talking about. I removed the whole carby but not sure if it's necessary.

Back