Not chainsaw related but a Poulan I think

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm working on a Craftsman Weed Whacker which I think is a Poulan since the model number starts with 358. Anyway, the starter slips. If it was a chainsaw it wouldn't be a problem but the starter is on the front of the engine instead of the back and I'm not sure where to start on this thing. Anyone?

Ok, I finally got around to taking it apart a few minutes ago. It wasn't exactly like the youtube video but it was actually a bit easier. The problem was that plastic gear with the teeth broken off and laying in the bottom of the thing. This thing is fairly old I imagine because the rope is stiff as a board so looks like all I need to replace is the gear and starter rope. I ordered the gear and I'll furnish the rope. Now all I need remember is how they tied that rope around that gear..

Well, the starter pulley came today so I decided to try winding it but when I open up the package I noticed the pulley was way too large for my application. The part number included with it was the same number I ordered and the same number on the parts list but the pulley was about an inch bigger in diameter than the old one. Now I'm really not sure what to do next if the right part number doesn't work...
I tore a Poulan 2000 micro saw down and took the pulley off and it was the right O.D. but the inside diameter was way too small.

Classic blunder, what part number & parts list did you order from? Those pulleys are dirt cheap compared to the chain saw pulleys.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1758109994...BUSJp6oSC3hlKVHlNPLiLEo38j|tkp:Bk9SR9DfqsyyYg
I looked up the part number from Sears parts direct but they were out of stock so I ordered the same part number from ebay and it was too large. The package had the correct part number on it but it wouldn't fit. My old pulley is 2 5/8" OD and the one they sent was about 3 1/2" OD.

I'm wondering now if the seller didn't slap that part number in the package after I ordered it. Since the part wasn't the right size. There was no part number on the part itself.
Get out your magnifying glass and some good lighting and look for a molded in part number on each of your pulleys. You might get lucky.

Did the seller specify which machines that his pulley fit? if yours was on the list you can return it at the sellers expense if not as described.

BTW, I rarely trust part numbers on Ebay items. a lot of these sellers are just guessing or copying other sellers (possibly incorrect) info. Even the Sears site might be wrong or possibly the wrong version. Poulan is famous for updating designs.

I am currently working on a Poulan blower that has a WT-875 carb on it. Yet BOTH of the IPLs (directly from Poulan) show a WT-847. Don't know what the differences are. Something likely changed during production that never made it into the IPLs.

On the last pulley I ordered I asked the seller to measure the inside and outside diameter of the pulley and he did. If he was truthful with me it is the correct size at least and it is for a Poulan weedeater and it does look like mine, just a different part number. If not I'll just send it back.
Even on the Sears Parts Direct website the trimmer didn't look like the one I'm working on; mine is a blue green color and theirs is red and the engine looks a bit different. Also, it would be nice if they'd take a picture of the parts not in the package..

Back