not enough hook on my chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ky044

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hello I don't think my chain on my sthil ms 180 has enough hook I use a file guide and the angles look correct but the cutters are sloped back and it dosent seem to cut like it should any advice would be appreciated thanks in advance

don't know where my camera is ill try to get some pictures when my wife gets home.....the cutters are sloped back -----\ sorta like that

Okay; ky044:
Ya see that Raker in front of the tooth? And how the top of it is not as high as the top of the tooth? You need to file that Raker Top down about 30 thousandth's of an inch below the top of the tooth. That isn't much, but it will cause the tooth to dig into the wood like a screamin' banshi. Don't file away too much or the saw will buck like a wild rodeo bronco.

the rakers are filed down its not the raker the tooth is sloped back """"""\ (side View) and they don't have much hook or gullet whatever its called

If that be the case, then your chain is severely dulled. It will take a lot of elbow grease to get it back into shape. Or if you could get hold of an electric chain grinder it would be easier on you. Otherwise, I'd get a new chain.

allright well I not a pro at sharpening but I sharpend it yesterday 3 strokes on each tooth used the stihl file guide the angles look to be correct the length of the cutters are consistent but the chain cutters don't have much hook...reckon I should try to do it without the file guide and try to get the gullet back

allright well I not a pro at sharpening but I sharpend it yesterday 3 strokes on each tooth used the stihl file guide the angles look to be correct the length of the cutters are consistent but the chain cutters don't have much hook...reckon I should try to do it without the file guide and try to get the gullet back
:clap::rock:

5/32 file its small 3/8s chain like the picco chain maybe the file guide is the problem ill try to post a pic later that will help a lot

Latest posts

Back