Not Enough Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VerticalVent

Reaction score
I picked up a used Stihl 036 with a 20" bar. It's in good shape and runs like a top. The only problem I am having is getting the oiler to function correctly.

I have oil under the thin metal piece that attaches to the main body of the saw. When I turn the oil adjusting screw up I've got oil running out the bottom of the saw, but if I turn it down I've got nothing. Either way I don't get that nice spray of lubrication at the tip of the bar.

Suggestions???? Thanks for any input that you might have.

Take the bar off,check the hole on the bar that lines up with the oil hole on the saw. The bar groove eventually builds up saw dust that will plug this hole and the oil cannot get into the bar. It is routine maintnence to clean out the bar groove once in a while and rotate sides of the bar. An old hacksaw blade works well for cleaning out the bar groove if you don't have the tool made for it.I usually break the blade in half and use the broke end.Make sure the holes are clean before you put the bar on.
Other possibilities you have the wrong bar and the holes don't line up with the saw.
I have seen laminated bars start coming apart in the rear and leak oil through the bottom.
You could have a bar plate inbetween the bar and saw incorrectly installed or broken.
Your oil line coming from the pump could be cracked , broke , etc.
The pump could be leaking. I can,t think of any thing else at the moment. I suggest starting at the top of the list and checking. Keep plenty of paper towels or rags handy for clean up. Air pressure is helpful, and possibly a mild solvent. Be care ful around seals if using air or solvents as not to damage them.

Thanks. Wrong bar. The rest of the story.... Picked up saw, bar, & chain at pawn shop. Stihl reports bar doesn't go with saw. New bar & chain and now have wood for the winter. :clap:

Latest posts

Back