Not feeling near as Guilty after fixing the 170.(which is a pain to work on)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Bennett

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Well I feel better after squaring the deal on my free 440. I was brought the final saw to fix which was a 170 that must have been stored In the oil pan of an old mack truck. At first site I never thought it would run. The saw was totally black with gunk inside and out. I pulled the air filter cover and much to my dismay it appeared the saw had been run in a dirty environment with no air filter. The carb and air intake was covered with black gunk. I could not get the muffler off to look at the piston because the muffler bolts were rusted fast. I could not even pull the cord to feel compression cause it had no pull cord. I thought I would fix the cord first but you can not get the side cover off without taking off the handle. Of course the handle is held on with a grommet that later would not go back together. Then I could not fit a normal socket on the carb nuts because the trigger handle is in the way. (I want to know which one of you stihl tech's pi$$ed off the stihl engineers when they made this saw, THALL or Lakeside or someone else?, fes up!) Well after 5 hours of cleaning, cussing and replacing a few simple parts to my surprise the saw ran but poorly. I figured the carb was shot even though it looked in great shape after I cleaned the heck out of it. A quick carb adjust had it running like new. It is kind of a cool little saw but what a pain to work on. It did not cost me much in parts but required more of my time and patients than rebuilding my 036.

MS 170/180 are easy to work on after the first time.....Pay attention how you take handle off . It goes back on with a few cuss words and the rest is easy....:cheers: :cheers:

I'll take credit im the FNG i don't care

If a 170 is tough to work on you I want your job. It probally took you more time to type your thread than it took to actually fix it. To take the side cover off there is 4 screws and then you just slide it out from the chain brake handle not that hard. Carb is kinda a pain but you can usually slide it out if you just press down on the rear handle to flex teh a/v system and slide it out.

Sounds it was more because the customer really didn't take care of his saw that made it difficult to work on.

Last edited:
I'll take credit im the FNG i don't care

If a 170 is tough to work on you I want your job. It probally took you more time to type your thread than it took to actually fix it. To take the side cover off there is 4 screws and then you just slide it out from the chain brake handle not that hard. Carb is kinda a pain but you can usually slide it out if you just press down on the rear handle to flex teh a/v system and slide it out.

Sounds it was more because the customer really didn't take care of his saw that made it difficult to work on.

The neglect played a big part in my problems. Just not having experinece with this particular saw played another role. I have never seen a saw that needed the handle partly removed to fix the starter. Then the ruber bushing on the clutch side that holds the handle on did not want to go back in and hold. In anycase I got it doing mostly what you said. Im used to working on trucks and tractors that have a lot more room. I guess that is why I will never by a new truck again. My 95 ford is a dream to work on. My dads 2005 is nearly impossible to change the plugs.

Latest posts

Back