not so super 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Allison

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been toying with an old super 2 lately, I went our to cut down our Christmas tree about 2 weeks ago and the thing quit. (I guess I should have brought the Sthil in the first place) I put a kit in the carb and the saw will start and run at idle at full choke. Take it off choke and it revs to the sky and dies. I guess it is leaning out. Do I have an air leak? What is the best way to check? Thanks for the input.
Clint

I don't know much about air leaks, but I think your problem may be the tank went also.
Try to run the saw wiothout the gas cap in place. If it runs OK that way, it is probably a tank vent problem. I would check that first, as it is a simpler problem to diagnose and fix.

Could be many things, but if the crank seals and bearings wear out that will do it. See if the crank has alot of free play in it. When you rebuilt the carb, did you set the metering lever height?

When you say metering level height, Are you talking about the rocker that contacts the diaphram on one end and the needle on the other end? Sorry but this was my first carb rebuild. The wise old man that that sold me the kit said that it should be flush with the carb body. It stuck up a little so I bent it down just a hair...maby half a hair. I will check the play in the crank. Am I checking the vertical or horizontal play?
Thanks
Clint

One Christmas tree? Are bowsaws still available in your area?
Double check that you haven't mixed some of those lines up, or pinched one. If it one with a primer in the fuel cap try disconnecting the cap and plug the line with something, the primer bulb may be doing wierd things

horozontil play, side to side. MY XL, almost identical to the super 2, I have is so loose the flywheel has started to hit the coil when it runs. It runs for a few minutes than can't be restarted, I'm pretty sure the seals are wiped out.

Your metering lever adjustment sounds correct.

Latest posts

Back