Not sure how to cut this tree down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my earliest memories of cutting with my father was one similar that spit a slice and got him below his hardhat, I still can picture the blood in the snow. Do what others have said and hire a pro to bind, rig and drop that thing.

Well you may well being known as Captain Crunched in the near future! :laugh:

Thanks, I think :)

My nickname comes from an incident in the marine world not trees. I would like to keep it that way, so will get some pics and seek AS help. Thanks for the words of caution, I plan to heed them and proceed cautiously or perhaps not at all.

Head rope it and tension towards the/any natural fall, cut an escape route plan and test this also have a spotter to call the show as up close to the action you can not tell the moment of momentum. Need wedges axe a good saw fit for the job hard hats as take care from above tree looks to hold dead timber limb,s secure the site from others etc etc all this and more

Then get a competent feller to do it please this jobs got bite b bad written all over it.

If you not sure read the Arb injury and fatality page list in the forum list it may sober your willingness.

Head rope it and tension towards the/any natural fall, cut an escape route plan and test this also have a spotter to call the show as up close to the action you can not tell the moment of momentum. Need wedges axe a good saw fit for the job hard hats as take care from above tree looks to hold dead timber limb,s secure the site from others etc etc all this and more

Then get a competent feller to do it please this jobs got bite b bad written all over it.

If you not sure read the Arb injury and fatality page list in the forum list it may sober your willingness.

I totally agree with you, I got everything needed...except the required experience for this certain job.

Why has this tree got to come down ?

If the tree will not hit anything of important when it falls then leave it to nature to bring it down.

Yes, it's a good question.
The first reason which should not be of my concern is that there's a road 4 metres away from the tree.
This should be taken care of the municipality , but no one cares.

The second and most important reason is adrenaline.
The third reason is that I want to get the timber, but I will get it anyway if I wait for the nature to do the job.

Anyway after all the replies I'm having second thoughts.

One of my earliest memories of cutting with my father was one similar that spit a slice and got him below his hardhat, I still can picture the blood in the snow. Do what others have said and hire a pro to bind, rig and drop that thing.

Can you explain spit a slice?

A decent size cargo strap above and below the cut and be careful. You could buy a gas powered pole saw to keep your distance.....good reason to get one and it will come in handy later. Not saying do or don't, but if you do, take proper safety precautions.

Can you explain spit a slice?

Dead standing hollow beech, big enough for a man to stand inside. Tree was v cut and on the back cut it released to the side and "spit" a chunk of cracked wood with enough force to break his skin. Since that day I always give the hollow ones extra thought and won't cut them near any structures or anything that could be damaged.

A decent size cargo strap above and below the cut and be careful. You could buy a gas powered pole saw to keep your distance.....good reason to get one and it will come in handy later. Not saying do or don't, but if you do, take proper safety precautions.

Yes, I've thought using straps and that's what I'll do.
Safety precautions? Do you mean hardhats, protective pants , gloves , boots ,a second person to help you etc...?
Well I always use safety wear , but if you find one more person in Greece that takes safety precautions I will be buying a free ticket for Stihl-O-Matic every year...

Latest posts

Back