Not sure how to judge this cylinder and piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How in the world did a dealer damage a stuffer cup? I definatly wouldnt be paying for the job again nor gaskets again. I would politly remind them if there is damage it was not there before they touched it and insist that the case be properly sealed upon return to you.

Yes exactly my thoughts @smokey7 , I am getting pretty fed up with how things are going in the mean time as well. Having to wait for 2,5 weeks, having to pay extra, and then still ending up with a leaking case. You can probably feel the disappointment I felt when I tested it again and found this leak.
I'm not even taking in account the time I've spent on it in the mean time that's now lost, and gas money etc.
I just brought it there with the idea 'It costs me more to buy the tools, and they do this often so let them do it', but it's starting to look like it might've been a better idea to buy the tools after all.
To be honest, I have a feeling I know more about this stuff in the mean time than they know, just by reading stuff online for a couple of months. The answers I'm getting when I probe around a bit leave me with a bad taste in my mouth :(

I dropped it off again today, and had a discussion with the mechanic who worked on it (the dealer himself wasn't there) on how to move forward, but he isn't allowed to make decisions.
He mentioned that "Worst case scenario it needs to come apart again"... that's not really reassuring, because I don't want any other weird temp fix, it just has to come apart again.
Not sure what they come up with over the next couple of days, but there's really only two options if you ask me; take it apart again on your dime and fix properly, or give me my money back and I'll go elsewhere.

This is not really on topic anymore, but I thought it would be nice to give an update once something happened, so you guys don't think I just take the advice and disappear...
Like I said before, I'm determined to make it run properly again, but am a bit anxious of how this specific thing is going to turn out, trust is pretty much gone when they likely use the wrong tools, break stuff and then deliver a leaking case...

To be continued.

1fd57482-649a-4740-99ad-2e20933841a7.jpg

I just got a call a few hours ago that the saw was ready again.
Took my own vac/pressure test kit over there as they don't have one :dizzy:, did the tests in front of them on their workbench and concluded it's OK now.
Tested it according to the specs in the workshop manual, it doesn't seem to lose any vac/pressure at all. Have it lying next to me while typing, no drop in vac after 15 minutes.

They inspected the crankcase halves once more after splitting again, and there was a little mark on one of the halves. They resolved it by adding a little bit of liquid gasket in between gasket and halve.

Didn't bother to discuss the puller etc. anymore since I figure that discussion has no use anyway.
I feel the mechanic wants/tries to do things the right way, but isn't properly schooled. He had never seen the block off plates and had looked them up in the mean time.
He also asked me how it worked, how much pressure to put on there etc. Kind of felt like being in a paralel universe, being the customer.

Of course I left without paying.

And one more update; I put everything back together, and it runs great!
It popped on the first pull, turned choke off and it fired up on second pull after that.
Coming from a small plastic rebranded 38cc McCulloch, this thing is an absolute beast :happy:
Thanks again for the help guys!

That saw should be a pleasure to run in comparison to the McCulloch:chainsaw:.
Glad your work paid off and you are getting the dealer trained properly o_O, did they offer you a job yet, sounds like they could use a guy like you down there.

Haha no, no job offer. I think the owner is glad he's done with me :D
He walked straight past me without saying a word when I left yesterday. I think he's the type that only cares about making as much money as possible with the least amount of investment/effort possible.

I'll try a different dealership if I need something again, and will ask questions first before dropping anything off. Lesson learned there.

Chopper, I will contrast your story with a couple of my own I have experienced over the years.
I am picking up way more knowledge about saws as I visit here, buy and service my own, and hear about experiences like yours.
My equipment shop stories run the gamut from good to awful. My dealer I bought my Echo string trimmer from in '94 is like your shop. $$$$$$
I bought a used Toro Zero turn mower from a friend. It developed a non start issue. I tried to get a service manual from the dealer to research electrical to diagnose it.
When I asked the owner if I could get a service manual, he said they don't have em. Then I asked what his techs use and was told they don't need em as they go to school for a week of training. Realizing this guy was full of SH, I never shopped there again. Contrast that with the dealer I bought my 026 Stihl from. I called and asked them basically the same thing and the guy offered if I came in I could talk to one of his mechanics. I drove to that shop and not only did the mechanic tell me things to try for diagnosing, he xeroxed the whole electrical section of their shop manual. Imagine that. Oh and I got the mower sparking again from the mechanic's advice. Guess which place I will spend my money at for mower, trimmer, chainsaw related items.

Glad to hear your saw is finally fixed right.

I've already ordered all the parts I got so far elsewhere, as there is another dealer a few more miles away which has just about every part you can imagine available to order online.
Whenever I need something done I can't do myself I'll ask there first, even though just buying the tools and get it over with is starting to sound more and more tempting after this experience.

In the end everything turned out OK, but the 562 XPG probably wasn't the easiest choice as a first saw to do some work on, as I had planned to do everything myself.
I have a hard time trusting my stuff to other people, and time after time I've proven to be right with all sorts of work, hope it'll be the other way around some day...
I'm a young guy not pretending anything, but really understand when 'older' people say proper workmanship is disappearing.

chilipeppermaniac, that sounds like something really rare!
It's such guys that understand how to do work properly AND do business properly.
I have no problem paying more for a job done right, or paying (a little, let's be reasonable) more for a product at a place where I've received proper service at an earlier point, just to help them keep their business running.

Also realised I never took a picture when done. The end result:
20180911_124630.jpg

In the end everything turned out OK, but the 562 XPG probably wasn't the easiest choice as a first saw to do some work on, as I had planned to do everything myself.
I have a hard time trusting my stuff to other people, and time after time I've proven to be right with all sorts of work, hope it'll be the other way around some day...
I'm a young guy not pretending anything, but really understand when 'older' people say proper workmanship is disappearing.

No you are correct...people these days do not give two squats as their names are not attached...thats why I talk up good people on every venue I frequent when I do business with them, and the business if good....

The good service, where a mechanic goes to the extent of even copying a part of the shop manual.
The bad attitude I am familiar with :D (not necessarily this case though)

yeah its sad these days...its the same over here in japan with the younger crowd...the older ones take a lot of pride in their work, but the younger ones are as worthless as the younger ones in the states.. (I know their are many fine younger folks in both countries....I just do not seem to run into to many of them.)

Yup, chopper. That was good people there!!!! Of course that shop got bought out by a bigger company. They had grown and moved a number of times within a 2 mile radius and even split into 2-3 segments. Where they used to handle rentals, repairs, hardware,tools, and then service of tools. They grew enough that those businesses split into 3 buildings. 1 was service, the other rental and finally the retail of hardware and tools.

Most recently last winter, I was doing a hardwood floor and ran out of nails for my nailer that I bought at Home Depot. Of course Depot stopped selling that type nail and nailer and no one in town sold those nails. Well, I stopped by the tool rental store and was helped by a nice lady there. She didn't have my nails either, but was kind enough to think of some places that might. It turns out she called another hardware store in the next state north of us, and sure enough they had 6+ boxes of them. I picked up 6 boxes even though less that 2 boxes finished our job. The goodness didn't stop there. As I was waiting to hear if the other place had my nails, I saw 2 different floor nailers in one tool box on the shelf with a sale sign on it. I asked the lady if it was both guns for 1 money. She said I would have to ask the boss man another day as he was gone. Anyway, that was a Friday, so she offered and took my number to give the boss to discuss my interest. On Monday we stopped by the place again and just caught the boss b4 he headed to deliver a machine. I showed him what I was interested in and discussed price. He then asked if I had a manual nailer since those 2 were air nailers. In the end, he offered me 3 guns instead of 2 and even took me to his shop area to give me all his service parts for those guns all for $200. That boss man had worked for the main parent company for over 30 years. Both he and his lady worker were the type that put Serve in Service.

Yup, chopper. That was good people there!!!! Of course that shop got bought out by a bigger company. They had grown and moved a number of times within a 2 mile radius and even split into 2-3 segments. Where they used to handle rentals, repairs, hardware,tools, and then service of tools. They grew enough that those businesses split into 3 buildings. 1 was service, the other rental and finally the retail of hardware and tools.

Most recently last winter, I was doing a hardwood floor and ran out of nails for my nailer that I bought at Home Depot. Of course Depot stopped selling that type nail and nailer and no one in town sold those nails. Well, I stopped by the tool rental store and was helped by a nice lady there. She didn't have my nails either, but was kind enough to think of some places that might. It turns out she called another hardware store in the next state north of us, and sure enough they had 6+ boxes of them. I picked up 6 boxes even though less that 2 boxes finished our job. The goodness didn't stop there. As I was waiting to hear if the other place had my nails, I saw 2 different floor nailers in one tool box on the shelf with a sale sign on it. I asked the lady if it was both guns for 1 money. She said I would have to ask the boss man another day as he was gone. Anyway, that was a Friday, so she pffered and took my number to give the boss to discuss my interest. On Monday we stopped by the place again and just caught the boss b4 he headed to deliver a machine. I showed him what I was interested in and discussed price. He then asked if I had a manual nailer since those 2 were air nailers. In the end, he offered me 3 guns instead of 2 and even took me to his shop area to give me all his service parts for those guns all for $200. That boss man had worked for the main parent company for over 30 years. Both he and his lady worker were the type that put Serve in Service.
Thats hard to find these days.....keep them close and treat them nice.

Latest posts

Back