Not sure if correct thread- Help with spring weeds?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raptorpete

Reaction score
Hello, I am battling season spring weeds and I'd like to identify them and find the correct post-emergent herbicide. My goal is to kill the weeds but not the grass. Since the weeds are monocots, it appears that most available herbicides are worthless.

Over the weekend I used this product AND this product only to wake up Monday morning to a thriving weed-infested front yard.

Either the fertilizer and herbicide I bought are just water and sand, or I just don't know what I'm doing.
Please take a look at my yard, help identify these weeds and let me know if there's a herbicide out there that will not kill the grass. Thank you:

Weeds everywhere!

It looks like trailing buttercup to me. The weed and feed should knock it back. It just isn't going to happen immediately.

Once you have it knocked down, utilize good turf management practices:
- aerate
- top dress
- over seed
- water deeply once a week
- don't cut your grass any lower than 3"

A study was done and most people would see a lawn as weed free even though it can have up to 15% of area in weeds. Depends on the density and species of weed.

Hello, I am battling season spring weeds and I'd like to identify them and find the correct post-emergent herbicide. My goal is to kill the weeds but not the grass. Since the weeds are monocots, it appears that most available herbicides are worthless.

Over the weekend I used this product AND this product only to wake up Monday morning to a thriving weed-infested front yard.

Either the fertilizer and herbicide I bought are just water and sand, or I just don't know what I'm doing.
Please take a look at my yard, help identify these weeds and let me know if there's a herbicide out there that will not kill the grass. Thank you:

Weeds everywhere!
I would hit them with 2 4 D, it's cheap and very effective on just about all broad leafs. Tractor Supply sells it. It won't touch your crabgrass though.

No idea what type of weed that is, but over here what works great on moos areas is simple ash from the fireplace. The ph level is changed and the grass, after three to four spreadings, soon starts to thrive again. But then again I would just mow it down regularly.

Back