Notching a tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
333onlyhalfevil

333onlyhalfevil

Hello, I would like to Jack up the carport in the pic around 8in but a tree is in the way. Are there any issues with notching the tree a bit to make room? Do you think it’ll kill the tree or is this ok? What do you think?

Attachments

• 8E7E838C-627B-4D27-A31E-2337143C94FA.jpeg
    8E7E838C-627B-4D27-A31E-2337143C94FA.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 49
Mad Professor
Welcome to AS!

That carport looks like a burn pile candidate.

Cutting a hunk out of the downside of a leaning tree is not a good idea, when it gets rot, disease or insects it's going to want to squash the carport.

If you are going to jack the carport up anyway , why not move it a few feet away from the tree.

lohan808

lohan808

Powersaw addict
Welcome to AS!

That carport looks like a burn pile candidate.

Cutting a hunk out of the downside of a leaning tree is not a good idea, when it gets rot, disease or insects it's going to want to squash the carport.

If you are going to jack the carport up anyway , why not move it a few feet away from the tree.
Ditto. Notching old (any) trees= bad news

thenne1713

thenne1713

ArboristSite Operative
Hello, I would like to Jack up the carport in the pic around 8in but a tree is in the way. Are there any issues with notching the tree a bit to make room? Do you think it’ll kill the tree or is this ok? What do you think?
I think the tree has already moved the building; I would move or remove the building AND THEN remove the tree