Notice to my customers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on a couple things.

First of all, all of the work that I had scheduled for January is having to be pushed back a couple weeks. Our basement flooded badly on Dec 27th while we were away in Findlay for Christmas with my wife's family. We had 5"-6" of ground water in the entire basement. It is carpeted and dry walled. Servpro has been here everyday since trying to get it dried out. It would have been done last week but they're trying to get the sill plates down a couple more percentage points. Everything is a mess and I can't even get to my porting bench. That includes the garage and most of the work bench there, since stuff is piled out there as well.I'm hoping we'll have it straightened up by this weekend.

Second of all, I will no longer be a site sponsor as of the 15th of January. This was a decision made by the site owner that there will no longer be any saw building sponsors here. Sharing of work is still encouraged, so I'm not sure how much things will really change. We're just not permitted to advertise, which I really don't do anyway. I suspect you'll be seeing my signature and avitar change, but that's about it. If you need something, I'm still just a PM away, as always.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank my customers for your support and business. I appreciate you helping me to grow my own saw collection over the years :)

received_987691924631099.jpeg
received_972409629462589.jpeg
20151229_123302.jpg

Hey guys. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up on a couple things.

First of all, all of the work that I had scheduled for January is having to be pushed back a couple weeks. Our basement flooded badly on Dec 27th while we were away in Findlay for Christmas with my wife's family. We had 5"-6" of ground water in the entire basement. It is carpeted and dry walled. Servpro has been here everyday since trying to get it dried out. It would have been done last week but they're trying to get the sill plates down a couple more percentage points. Everything is a mess and I can't even get to my porting bench. That includes the garage and most of the work bench there, since stuff is piled out there as well.I'm hoping we'll have it straightened up by this weekend.

Second of all, I will no longer be a site sponsor as of the 15th of January. This was a decision made by the site owner that there will no longer be any saw building sponsors here. Sharing of work is still encouraged, so I'm not sure how much things will really change. We're just not permitted to advertise, which I really don't do anyway. I suspect you'll be seeing my signature and avitar change, but that's about it. If you need something, I'm still just a PM away, as always.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank my customers for your support and business. I appreciate you helping me to grow my own saw collection over the years :)

View attachment 476859

Yikes... now that taping job in the basement can be redone;)

Sump pump failure?

Sump pump failure?
No, it was simply overcome. I have two 1/2 HP cast iron Zoeller pumps in the pit. The switch stuck on the biggest one the week before, so I unplugged it, "knowing" the we don't get torrential rains in the winter and could fix it while I was off the week after Christmas. Big mistake! Had it been running, the basement wouldn't have flooded. What's most disconcerting is that I had the house re-graded and all down spouts tiled away from the house 1 1/2 years ago. I didn't think this was possible :(

No, it was simply overcome. I have two 1/2 HP cast iron Zoeller pumps in the pit. The switch stuck on the biggest one the week before, so I unplugged it, "knowing" the we don't get torrential rains in the winter and could fix it while I was off the week after Christmas. Big mistake! Had it been running, the basement wouldn't have flooded. What's most disconcerting is that I had the house re-graded and all down spouts tiled away from the house 1 1/2 years ago. I didn't think this was possible :(
Yes, I remember that.

Flooding is a pain. Just make sure there is No mildew before re-drywalling

The surrounding area is very close to flat, with only a slight grade that does direct water towards my house. In the past I've seen several inches of water standing against the foundation/basement wall, but only during flash flood type rains. That's why I had it re-graded summer before last. They put about 18" of soil against the house, graded it out, and put a small swell that carries it away from the house. At the same time, all of my down spouts were buried in tiles and taken away from the house. I thought that after the yard was re-graded, that it could only flood if there a power failure.

The problem is that the basement floor is setting on rock. There is no more soil at that level. The neighbors in-ground pool is mounded up and was jack hammered to get it as low as it is. Once the soil becomes saturated, there's nowhere for it to go. At that point, the drainage system around the house, that drains into the sump fills, overcomes the capacity of the pump, then comes into the basement all around where the slab meets the wall.

If both pumps were running, this would not have happened. Perhaps, if the one running pump had been the larger of the two, it likely would not have happened. However, it's very disconcerting that it's still possible to get that much water around the foundation.

That stinks, I'm sure you'll make out ok. Do you have a curtian drain on the high side of the house, even though it's probably upswell causing the flooding curtian drains divert a lot of water.

dang! sorry to hear of your flooding and no longer able to advertise here :-(
- what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

Go with two half horse zoeller pumps and you would be set. You do have an inside perimeter drains leading to a pit? Downspout extensions? How far out does your discharge for your pumps/pump run?

Do you have a curtian drain on the high side of the house, even though it's probably upswell causing the flooding curtian drains divert a lot of water.
I have a curtain drain around the leach fields in the front. I don't think there's one in the back where it would be needed. That's an EXCELLENT idea!

I thought it was a saw forum? This place is shot to ****!
And this was to notify my chainsaw customers.

Sorry for you troubles, I just picked this up on Tuesday. Can't run it in a house, but it will move water.

View attachment 476910
That would be awesome to have. I have a generator to run the pumps off though.

That's enough to consider moving....
I'll take a more remote 5 acre lot :)

Go with two half horse zoeller pumps and you would be set. You do have an inside perimeter drains leading to a pit? Downspout extensions? How far out does your discharge for your pumps/pump run?
I have two. The largest was unplugged because the switch was stuck on. I though I could wait until I was off to repair it. I was wrong! :(

Downspout extensions are in tiles discharging down grade from the house.

The sump discharges immediately outside the house into a 5"-6" tile that them ruins to the ditch.

As a two-sump pump household, a spare sump pump and extra tether switch is kept in reserve at all times.

Being so sump pump dependent is kinda scary. Last time we had this issue, which happened at the start of what ended up being a 10-day power outage in the dead of winter, I was 550 miles away for Christmas at the in-laws' place. Luckily AS member CaseyForrest was able to swing by my house and get the generator started while I was driving home with my puppy. Then after 10 days, the power came back on and I had to drive back to retrieve my wife and the other two dogs. Wild times!

As a two-sump pump household, a spare sump pump and extra tether switch is kept in reserve at all times.

Being so sump pump dependent is kinda scary. Last time we had this issue, which happened at the start of what ended up being a 10-day power outage in the dead of winter, I was 550 miles away for Christmas at the in-laws' place. Luckily AS member CaseyForrest was able to swing by my house and get the generator started while I was driving home with my puppy. Then after 10 days, the power came back on and I had to drive back to retrieve my wife and the other two dogs. Wild times!

Americrawl is a basement systems retailer, they often install heavy duty battery back ups with several gel cell batteries available. In a water heavy situation two half horse zoeller pumps in tandem would be ideal

Latest posts

Back