NT grinder gullet mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmihalek

Where's the wood at?
Reaction score
I tried to use my Northern Tool grinder to clean out some gullets on a low profile chain, but discovered that the motor was hitting the chain stop as shown below.

WARNING: if you're going to do this mod, check for clearance before cutting the chain stop. The lower position of the screw may not allow high profile cutters to pass underneath.

motorclearance.jpg

So, I took a look at the chain stop and realized that it didn't need to be as tall as it was. Also, there was conveniently a hole already in place that I could use to lower the adjustment screw.

chainstop.jpg

I drilled the hole out and then marked up the stop to where I wanted to cut it.

drilledout.jpg

markedup.jpg

Last edited:
gullet mod (continued)

So, with the chain stop marked up, I trimmmed off the excess with my dremel. Here's the two pieces.

2pieces2.jpg

This is what the chain stop looks like now that it's shorter.

cutoff.jpg

Now, with the 1/4 inch wheel down in the gullet, you can see that there's plenty of room between the motor and the chain stop.

clearance2.jpg

Here's a finished gullet. Of course, you can clean gullets without the chain stop, but instead of taking it on and off everytime I wanted to clean the gullets, I just made it shorter.

cleangullet.jpg

Looks good. And it is just further proof that EVERYTHING on this site is ripe for modding in one way or another! Thanks for the good write-up and the good pics.

Incidentally, I wonder exactly how many of these grinders they ended up selling because I started the post about 'em? Right off the top of my head I can think of at least a dozen people who bought them, plus the ones I forgot and the ones I don't know about. Maybe NT will give me some sort of discount or reward...or maybe a free NorthStar Splitter, now that'd be slick. :clap:

Looks good. And it is just further proof that EVERYTHING on this site is ripe for modding in one way or another! Thanks for the good write-up and the good pics.

Incidentally, I wonder exactly how many of these grinders they ended up selling because I started the post about 'em? Right off the top of my head I can think of at least a dozen people who bought them, plus the ones I forgot and the ones I don't know about. Maybe NT will give me some sort of discount or reward...or maybe a free NorthStar Splitter, now that'd be slick. :clap:

I can't speak for Northern Tool, but here ya go!!

ATTA BOY!

Thank you for that thread. I really enjoy the grinder.

computeruser

I was thinking about that just a couple days ago. Did you know you were a marketing gem for NT before you authored the thread?

Sounds like you need to pursue a royalty.:jawdrop:

ericjeeper, RGW, and Stihl 041S

Then they come along like BASF.

"...we don't make the grinder, we make the grinder BETTER..."

You all deserve a cut too!

(SORRY R "B" W!!! I can't edit that one!)

Last edited:
all I did was made some measurements.

I had nothing to do with the final product. I just happened yo have a set of dial calipers handy. But thanks for the flowers.

I added a warning to the first post. This mod may not allow a high profile cutter to pass underneath the chain stop bolt if the bolt is lowered as I have shown. Check for clearance before cutting the chain stop.

Back