Nut identification - recommend a website?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, it's llooking like the mockery, I think. Hope to get outside to take some pics tomorrow after the rain quits...

geofore said:
The leaves say hickory and so does the nut. Buckeye trees have prickly hulls and the yellow buckeyes have less prickly hulls but they have little pointy spines on the husk. The hickory has smooth. Buckeyes hulls are prickly with the yellow buckeyes being less prickly.

Mabey the Buckeye you have there have prickly hulls but the Buckeye here has a hull as smooth as a babies butt.And nut brown.

No Hate I love the Buckeye tree.I just mentioned that the seed was poisonous that'sn all.I love Buckeye.
1953greg..You have I.D.ed thr tree correctly.It is definately a Shagbark Hickory ,Carya ovata.That is a positive I.D.

Buckeye was a wild guess on my part..

Yup, Shagbark. I've got tons of those on my land. Nuts are irritating but the trees are lovely, very stately. Does anyone know if you can eat those hickory nuts? I've heard folks do.

Yes it's a hickory and if it weren't edible then my parents would have been killing me for many years. I've spent many hours in my youth picking those up by the bucket and then wacking them with a hammer so that Dad could pick the meats out. They aren't quite as "nutty' tasting as black walnut and maybe a little sweeter.

Oh yeah-get me a close up of the buds and bark and I should be able to tell you which hickory it is. Shagbark is the best tasting nut as far as I'm concerned.

OOPS,now I am seeing Bitternut Hickory in the bark.
I guess my definatly was not definite,So now looking at it all together nut,bark and leaf...My opinion is

Carya cordiformis Bitternut Hickory ,Swamp Hickory
Question,is the bark a light brown with a red tinge?
if so the above Hickory is correct

Is the bark dark grey,and 1/2" to 3/4" thick?
if so it is a Carya tomentosa,
Mockernut Hickory,White Hickory,Whiteheart Hickory
and Bullnut are all names for it.
......course then again there's the Pignut too.. :cry: ..

Last edited:
Yeah, based on the pics I've seen online, it's not a shagbark. I'd lean to mockery, but it's not a perfect match for THAT, either! The swamp hickory looks close, but in theory doesn't come into Virginia. (I'm near Front Royal.) :dizzy:

Time to get some better pictures!

Double eeeek! The leaves and nuts look shagbarky; but that's no shagbark. I'm with She- looks more like a Bitternut, Carya cordiformis.

Come on guys(and gals) Pignut has sulfur yellow buds -which I didn't see in the lef pics and the leaves are quite a bit more rounded. Mockernut is the only sensible choice. Go pull out Dirr and do a little reading.

Latest posts

Back