Nuts!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Dunlap

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The knives on my brush chipper are bolted and double nutted. Taking off 12 pairs of nuts is really time consuming. I've considered changing over to Nylock nuts. If I were to call the dealer I'm sure they wouldn't condone the change over for liability reasons.

The double nuts are the most secure, I realize. But...there were Nylocks on my old chipper and I didn't have any problems. What would be gained or lost making the conversion? I can't see how there is any more holding power with doubles.

Tom

I'd think the locking nuts would work great, for a while. But they wear out after several uses. I'd use the off-round type rather than the type with the nylon insert. I'd also buy extras and carefully examine each one every time the knives are changed. When re-assembling, if a nut goes on too easily, I'd pitch it and replace it with a new one.
There is a supply house near me called 'House of Threads' that has just about every type of fastener available. I'd look for that type of place in your area so you can specify hardness rating, type of locknut, etc.

Tom
Be careful mate! I know off two incidents off the knives coming off and ending up in the chip truck.The double nutters Ive used seem to get worn and can be hard to remove, had to heat a set once to get them undone.So I do understand what you are saying
My BC1000 has no nuts...did I say that... but we have to put 3/4 socket with long extension breaker bar on to undo the bolts.
PS: Our local fastner company is called "Nuts and Bolts"

Last edited:
When I talked to Vermeer, they said that the quantity of nuts and bolts is intentional so that the drum would stop before anyone could remove the cover. It's a good way to dummy-proof a chipper, but they still need to work on dummy-proofing that chute thingy.

Nickrosis

Nuts

My brush Vermeer brush chipper had double nuts for a purpose. I won't change them. They are there for a purpose.

Latest posts

Back