NW Montana GTG & Charity Cut -- June 1, 2, 3 -- 2012!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hell that ain't nothing.

Meh, I'll take my drive. Through the Rocky Mountains the whole way :msp_thumbup:

attachment.php

Last edited:
Things may have changed but when we lived in CDA, my SiL came out for a visit and the entire trip though the mountains was at night. How stupid is that?

I'm very, very tempted. Haven't been back to that country for far, far too long.

Nate, what's the name of that bar that has Moose in the name?

And, you should start a new thread over in the Chainsaw Forum. Too many won't come over here to see this.

Moose's Saloon? LOL

Sawdust on the floor and such. Might have Gary or another mod move this to chainsaws if necessary.

Paw Paw, we'll be out at Little Brothers. . . Should I swing in and order some bed rails and then complain about it -- I'll even bring a napkin! :laugh:

Paw Paw, we'll be out at Little Brothers. . . Should I swing in and order some bed rails and then complain about it -- I'll even bring a napkin! :laugh:

Hell Yeah, and make sure it's the crudest drawing possible, with dimensions that don't add up and in a grade of steel that hasn't been manufactured in 30 years or so LOL

Highway 12 is my fave!

I drove the highway 12 route on my way TO exile. (it was a nice exile with nice people, just lacked in topography). Stayed the first night in Orofino. I had left the dog arthritis drugs out at my home and the movers had packed them. The Orofino motel folks offered some to my dog. It was hot, and the air conditioning was such a relief. The motel had real recliners in the rooms.

It was hot, and I was tired from all the hurry of the previous days, so I did not explore Orofino other than going to the grocery store and walking my dog in the star thistle. I had been living on the Oregon Coast for several years and used to that climate.

Radio reception is bad, like it gets in the mountains, but I was given a book on tape to listen to before leaving Oregon. You can't hurry on that road. It has a few curves.

Our part of highway 12 (White Pass) has some nice scenery and curves too. I guess it was featured on the National Geographic show, Rockstars. I don't get that channel, but a friend said they had filmed the canyon from a helicopter and it was neat to see what was down there. Once you get down to Packwood, the fun has ended unless you like dodging elk.

I drove the highway 12 route on my way TO exile. (it was a nice exile with nice people, just lacked in topography). Stayed the first night in Orofino. I had left the dog arthritis drugs out at my home and the movers had packed them. The Orofino motel folks offered some to my dog. It was hot, and the air conditioning was such a relief. The motel had real recliners in the rooms.

It was hot, and I was tired from all the hurry of the previous days, so I did not explore Orofino other than going to the grocery store and walking my dog in the star thistle. I had been living on the Oregon Coast for several years and used to that climate.

Radio reception is bad, like it gets in the mountains, but I was given a book on tape to listen to before leaving Oregon. You can't hurry on that road. It has a few curves.

Lolo to Orofino is an awesome piece of road, especially on an old motorcycle!

14412355-M.jpg

I love it when you get over the top of lolo pass and is says "winding road next 99 miles". I have driven that road a lot over the years. I would love to do it on a bike like that too...nice bike!

I would love to make it to this and will mark my calendar. I live down the Bitterroot south of Missoula and have family in Kalispell and Whitefish. I am no pro logger just a guy who loves running chainsaws with friends and cutting firewood.

I will keep an eye on this thread as time goes by and we get closer to June.

Is the main plan just to tip trees, buck, split and stack the biggest pile of wood we can so the wood can be donated to the family in need from the other thread? Cutting cookies is fun and all but I much prefer to run saws to build big firewood stacks.

I don't think I am going to be heading up that way anytime soon but if someone from down south here was heading that way I would be more than happy to donate some wood from my stack to help that family out this winter.

I would love to make it to this and will mark my calendar. I live down the Bitterroot south of Missoula and have family in Kalispell and Whitefish. I am no pro logger just a guy who loves running chainsaws with friends and cutting firewood.

I will keep an eye on this thread as time goes by and we get closer to June.

Is the main plan just to tip trees, buck, split and stack the biggest pile of wood we can so the wood can be donated to the family in need from the other thread? Cutting cookies is fun and all but I much prefer to run saws to build big firewood stacks.

I don't think I am going to be heading up that way anytime soon but if someone from down south here was heading that way I would be more than happy to donate some wood from my stack to help that family out this winter.

I imagine there will be some cookie cutting, but yes, the main goal is to cut and stack some wood for the family. Splitting will be optional, I'm not going to tell folks they have to split wood.

There's also going to be some knowledgeable Timberbeasts there, so I figured it'd be good to get some instruction from them. Anytime I can, I learn from folks that are better than me at something. :)

It's funny the amount of ugly stumps I see in State and National Forrest, and it makes me wonder why more folks don't die out there? I saw one the other day with no face, and just a back-cut. :dizzy:

Sloping back-cut is by far the most prevalent I see. I think we folks that have worked in the timber industry have a responsibility to educate people on the correct way to do things if presented with the opportunity. Cutting trees isn't funny-ha-ha-time, it's serious, and can easily be deadly. That doesn't mean it can't be fun, but it does mean you DO follow certain procedures to make a dangerous situation more manageable, using tried and true techniques and tools.

You don't use an Oxy/Acetylene torch to cut open a cars gas tank. ;)

That's very generous of you to offer up some wood for this year. :cheers:

I think, so far, we have received enough monetary donation to get them a couple cord. . . That should finish them of for the year.

Also, we'll need a pretty good head count by the first of May, so I can make sure there's enough food for everyone. My wife and I are going to start getting stuff now, it looks like we're gong to have a pretty good turnout! :clap:

I'm also open to suggestions for field trips, or any wood cutting events, or anything like that. I want this first GTG to be awesome! :D

I imagine there will be some cookie cutting, but yes, the main goal is to cut and stack some wood for the family. Splitting will be optional, I'm not going to tell folks they have to split wood.

There's also going to be some knowledgeable Timberbeasts there, so I figured it'd be good to get some instruction from them. Anytime I can, I learn from folks that are better than me at something. :)

It's funny the amount of ugly stumps I see in State and National Forrest, and it makes me wonder why more folks don't die out there? I saw one the other day with no face, and just a back-cut. :dizzy:

Sloping back-cut is by far the most prevalent I see. I think we folks that have worked in the timber industry have a responsibility to educate people on the correct way to do things if presented with the opportunity. Cutting trees isn't funny-ha-ha-time, it's serious, and can easily be deadly. That doesn't mean it can't be fun, but it does mean you DO follow certain procedures to make a dangerous situation more manageable, using tried and true techniques and tools.

You don't use an Oxy/Acetylene torch to cut open a cars gas tank. ;)

That's very generous of you to offer up some wood for this year. :cheers:

I think, so far, we have received enough monetary donation to get them a couple cord. . . That should finish them of for the year.

Also, we'll need a pretty good head count by the first of May, so I can make sure there's enough food for everyone. My wife and I are going to start getting stuff now, it looks like we're gong to have a pretty good turnout! :clap:

I'm also open to suggestions for field trips, or any wood cutting events, or anything like that. I want this first GTG to be awesome! :D

On the food thing...a lot of people bring stuff and are more than willing to. At the last PNW GTG I went to the only food problem was eating all the food that everybody brought...there was tons of it. One thing that seemed to work out was making a little list of who planned on bringing what...nothing real formal, just kind of a guideline.

And accessories...everybody brings food but a lot of times they forget about stuff like paper towels, paper plates etc. And garbage bags....lots of garbage bags.

SlowP, RandyMac, Brian and JaniMay, can all give you some good pointers, too. They're veterans.

On the food thing...a lot of people bring stuff and are more than willing to. At the last PNW GTG I went to the only food problem was eating all the food that everybody brought...there was tons of it. One thing that seemed to work out was making a little list of who planned on bringing what...nothing real formal, just kind of a guideline.

And accessories...everybody brings food but a lot of times they forget about stuff like paper towels, paper plates etc. And garbage bags....lots of garbage bags.

SlowP, RandyMac, Brian and JaniMay, can all give you some good pointers, too. They're veterans.

Excellent!

Well, lets get us a list going.

I can do paper towels, plates, cups, garbage bags, etc. I also have a 10 gallon jug I figured we could do Gatorade packs in for refueling during hard work times. The water there is mountain fresh, and there's an outside fountain to drink from as well.

Isn't it mandatory that Patty bring Huckleberry pies? :laugh:

I reckon we'll bake up some cookies for snacks, and such too.

I went to college in Pullman, WA, and my folks live in Billings, MT. I loved to drive 12 back and forth. Here's the weird thing, though - when I got married, I took my new bride to the world-famous honeymoon resort of Orofino, ID. :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange: Yes, good ol' Orofino! Not much there, but there's a very comfortable hotel (Helgeson Place, I think), and well, we weren't exactly seeing the sights, you know. Made it back there once for an anniversary, but would love to do it again, only in the summertime. It's kind of dismal in December.

Yah, I make a couple of pies, and a bunch of Not Quite Good For You Cookies, and I have a table that has been to three GTGs--it is a trooper because I had a white gas fire on the top of it at one of our huckleberry encampments. It was a wasted fire because I was the only one up to cause it and see it.

Having seen how plagues rip through fire camps, I'm a big one for hand sanitizer and hand washing, and those hand wiping things. I can go buy the big quantity stuff at Costco.

I will be practicing. I am going out tomorrow to help a friend fall and buck:smile2: our infamous vine maple, so the loggers won't have to deal with it. :eek2: We won't be going very fast through it.

I also have a 10 gallon jug I figured we could do Gatorade packs in for refueling during hard work times.

Only way you are gettin me to come is if that 10 gallon jug is filled with whiskey and has my name only on it! :laugh: Just kiddin pard...I hope we can make it. I talked it over with Momma over the weekend and we are tentatively planning...

Back