NWP piston pin circlips vs oem stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there an easier way to install NWP round circlips with no eyelets into pistons other than using oem stihl circlips which are a smaller diameter,(wire gauge)??After bending the nwp circlips into place they are loose,,,I thought using nwp from Baileys would be better quality than that.

Snap rings or circlips have a flat outer edge. The piston groove bottom is radiused to match the wire.

To get a good fit the circlip edge would need to be radiused or the piston groove bottom cut to square.
Either way take the change in diimesions in to account when choosing the clip size.

Clip thickness needs checking too.

Deburr the steel clip well, they will cut the aluminum.

I buy extra OEM clips to have on hand. The good ones fly then hide in the dark recesses of the shop. That is a sign of good spring steel.

Measure twice so crying and bad words can be saved for another day.

Some of the saws don't easily lend themselves to putting a clip in. My latest, a 361 Stihl was very difficult to get the clip in because both sides of the saw come up by the piston and I can't get my big hands in there. I dropped a clip down in the crankcase a couple of times and was lucky to fish it out. I guess I'll take Warped 5's advice and stuff a rag down in it. From now on, when I throw a junk piston away I'm gonna save the clips..

Back