NYS DEC OWB ordinance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullreed

Reaction score
Just found out NYS is looking to pass much more stringent ordinances for outdoor wood boilers. Headed to a meeting tommorrow night to find out more.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/64492.html

Requirements applicable to Existing OWBs (Section 247.10)
All existing OWBs must be equipped with a permanent stack extending a minimum of two feet above the peak of any roof structure located within 150 feet of the OWB and no less than of 18 feet above ground level effective October 1, 2011. An existing outdoor wood boiler that commenced operation prior to September 1, 2005 must be replaced with a new outdoor wood boiler meeting the requirements of this Part or must be permanently removed from service no later than August 31, 2015. An existing outdoor wood boiler that commenced operation between September 1, 2005 and April 14, 2011 must be replaced with a new outdoor wood boiler meeting the requirements of this Part or must be permanently removed from service within ten years of the commence operation date but not later than August 31, 2020. In the event that an owner of an existing outdoor wood boiler cannot provide sufficient documentation, to the satisfaction of the Department, regarding the commence operation date of their existing outdoor wood boiler, such owner must replace their existing outdoor wood boiler with a new outdoor wood boiler meeting the requirements of this Part or must permanently remove the existing outdoor wood boiler from service no later than August 31, 2015.

No person shall operate an existing OWB in the Northern Heating Zone between May 15 and August 31 of each year or between April 15 and September 30 elsewhere in the State. There are three exceptions to this provision (subdivision 247.10(b)):

1. OWBs certified under Section 247.8 and sited 100 feet or more from the nearest property boundary line;

2. OWBs sited 500 feet or more from the nearest property boundary line; or

3. OWBs located on contiguous agricultural lands1 greater than five acres sited 500 feet or more from the nearest residence not served by the OWB or 500 feet or more from the nearest property boundary line that is not agricultural land and 1000 feet or more from a school.

The big one is this After August 31, 2020, no existing OWBs may be operated in New York.

I have a brand new woodmaster 4400, under this law it would have to be replaced on that date. Talk about BS

In the original post you indicated it was pending legislation. Then the text you put up later leaves me wondering if it's been passed by the Legislature and signed into law by the governor.

If it has been, you are surely SOL. But it it has not been passed yet, get out there and fight it. You have a LOT of friends with you and against this legislation in New York.

Edit: OK, checked the link. It ain't over until the gov puts ink to paper. Get your dog in the fight! Call your friends, check out wood sellers, chainsaw and OWB dealers. Right in this forum, post an online petition or contact info for state legislators. The Internet and the local tavern and the telephone are powerful tools. Use them! :) :)

Last edited:
Another problem is the stack hieght requirement. As written I know a number of people who would need a stack exceeding 50 feet because their boiler is located too close to their own dairy barn. Also as written it would make the new wood chip boiler at a local school illegal. Leave it to NYS to give millions pushing alternative heat then ban it. And I believe because this is a proposed DEC regulation it does not have to go before the legislature. The town board meeting I went to got goodresponse. The town board is with us on this since they also heat the highway dept. shop with a wood boiler. The shop is located within village limits and less than 100 feet from neighbors. But by following best burn practices everyone is happy. Our county legislature is on board with us and is hoping for a large turn out at the county meeting next week.

online petition

Thanks for signing. Please pass the information on to anyone else that might be willing to sign. We need to let DEC know where we stand on this. Don't forget to attend the hearing in Watertown on June 3rd.

I have sent this to everyone I know. I have also commented on the DECs website. And there is a signed form letter in the mail to my State Senator, Assembly Member, and John Barnes, P.E. that was sent to me from Central Boiler.

I can't make the meeting itself as I have to work for a living........

All I can do now is hope that common sense and the difference between right and wrong still exists ! ! ! !

Proposed DEC regulations

The NY Farm Bureau made a strong statement today against the proposed regulations. Check it out at nyfb.org . Within the article are links to letters that can be printed or emailed to all of your representatives for anyone that hasn't done that yet.

I highy doubt it will pass as written.
It wood put OWB mfgs. out of biz immediately and make many people who cant afford fossil fuel cold in 2020.

If the DEC could outlaw outdoor wood furnaces that don't meet emission standards how long would it be till they come after homes with older wood stoves? How about the homes with fireplaces in them? Were does it end? If I had to put a stack on taller than the closest building it would have to be fiftey feet because its that close to MY BARN! My nearest neighbor is 1000 feet down the road and he has never been affected by my smoke. My unit is two years old and I can't see scraping it in 2020 for an emission standard.

:agree2:
Its just to get their foot in the door then they will systematically outlaw wood burning. OWB today indoor stoves tomorrow fireplaces next week.

I was signature 116 on the petition, lets keep this going. I agree with what has already been said, OWB today, wood stove tomorrow, and that is where my opposition comes from. Although we do not have an OWB, we heat almost exclusively with our wood burning furnace and wood stove. I have friends and neighbors with OWB, and have not known of any of them to fill a valley with smoke. Once again it boils down to the few irresponsible ones ruining it for those of us that try to do things the right way.

Uncle Sugar Daddy

I highy doubt it will pass as written.
It wood put OWB mfgs. out of biz immediately and make many people who cant afford fossil fuel cold in 2020.

Thats is why NY would do it. More people relying on the government is great way for politicians to keep their jobs. It is hard for someone to vote out of office the politicians that give them a welfare / heating subsidy checks every month.

Soon as obama took office, he mandated that the states increase the welfare rolls with free federal dollars. With a stroke of a pen, he undid what comrad Klinton was forced to do in the early 90's.

Looks like the New York Farm Bureau can be a valuable asset to helping us quash this BS proposal...... Let's keep our fingers crossed.

:rock:

I signed the petition, sent the letter to my local rep thru the farm bureau website and email John DeFrancisco direct also. Hopefully this will be stopped. For those of us that are responsible users this is a slap in the face.

Back