O44

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa firewood cutter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I acquired a sthil o44 today threw a trade deal, it had some plastic damage but runs well and has a really unique sound to it, I’m surprised how light it is for a 70 cc saw, probably going to use it some this winter then do a complete rebuild over the summer, will post pictures soon. Be safe out there fellow members. As always I welcome your comments and love to hear about your personal experiences with topics in the post.

It’s kinda sad that not many real improvements have been made to powersaws in the last 30 years.

I guess antivibe is better, is all.

The epa has stifled advancement considerably. Or forced a change to other considerations. Perhaps we are on the cusp of real improvement again?

Yeah I am fortunate enough to have many sizes of saws, but honestly where I live a 20" bar could cut 90% of the wood around me.

Post a pic of the saw if you can, particularly the area of the case next to the starter side of the muffler.

You may have a 10mm saw. They are known to have a different sound thought to be secondary to the super flat exhaust roof.

They are a bit lighter than the bigger/stronger cranked 12mm variant. The crankcase area and the crank weights are bother larger in the 12mm.

Your pic will show the difference.

You need the non HD filter version to get close to the 13lb weight. My 10mm 044 comes in at 13 lbs 5 ounces.

166445985.ylXpaGx1.jpg

HD filter 044's are closer to 14 lbs:

137564855.701pyelu.jpg

One of my fav saws, just rebuilt an old 10mm and it does sound nasty, throttle response is great, really torques the saw up when you bump it....i'm over in Harleysville, PA....seems like a lot of us in PA but its a long state

Connecting rod , where it meets the piston is different, crank cases are different as well, 10mm has smaller cace volume then a 12mm, obviously the pistons are different as well.

Latest posts

Back