O44

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok thank you, I will check tomorrow, thank you all for your help, I love this site , very helpful people.

The 044 10mm jug is really to me what makes the saw, so hopefully that in good condition, you can visualize by taking off the muffler but easy to use penlight thru spark plug hole to see above the exhaust port...definitely want to keep the stock cylinder...if she 4-strokes fine that's a good sign

Is there even and after market top end kit for 10mms?

Keep the OE cylinder, even if it isn't a 10mm. 10mm pistons are still available from Stihl. I have seen a couple on EBay as well. They are not cheap, though. Meteor also make a piston with caber rings. I wouldn't go any lower on that piston ladder, tho.

You need the non HD filter version to get close to the 13lb weight. My 10mm 044 comes in at 13 lbs 5 ounces.

166445985.ylXpaGx1.jpg

HD filter 044's are closer to 14 lbs:

137564855.701pyelu.jpg
Nice saw! It’s a shame that they do not make em like that anymore...

Thank you blsnelling, I appreciate it, I’m think I’m going to retune the carb tomorrow and set it around 13400, is that a good number for these saws?

Depends upon the individual really, there was too much space between the bosses for the 10 mm con rod so the rod could walk left or right a good deal, nothing a brass spacer couldn`t fix but that adds another bit of weight to the top end reciprocal mass. Hasn`t caused any problems with my own saws, one has Delrin spacers, one has brass with quite a few hours on both.

Depends upon the individual really, there was too much space between the bosses for the 10 mm con rod so the rod could walk left or right a good deal, nothing a brass spacer couldn`t fix but that adds another bit of weight to the top end reciprocal mass. Hasn`t caused any problems with my own saws, one has Delrin spacers, one has brass with quite a few hours on both.

Ahh I thought the size was the issue, not the fit. If it's a bit loose, not sure I would be comfortable with it.

The space between the bosses is sized for the 12mm rod end which is wider than the 10 mm rod end, leaves a bit of space on either side of the rod bearing, not the best but likely plenty of them out there working.

can live w/that n make somethin if need be. will see when it gets here.

Latest posts

Back