Oak log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slug

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was going to cut up an oak tree in a friends yard for firewood but was wondering if maybe finding someone to cut it into boards would be worth while. The bottom was hollow but 3-4' past this it is really solid and straight for about 16 feet. It is 22" wide. Or should I just cut it into firewood?

You have to ask yourself what am I going to do with those boards. If you have a good use for them get a price to slab it and then decide if it's worth the money. It's always nice to save wood from the fireplace.

Found a guy to mill it for me, too bad I can only move 1/2 at a time with my little trailer.

img0605cu3.jpg

The trailer tilts. I tlited it and hand winched it up. Went on pretty easy.

When I drpped it off tonight a guy out there(not the mill operator) said it probablt won't make very good boards because it had too many cat faces. Oh well, maybe I'll find something better next time.

When I drpped it off tonight a guy out there(not the mill operator) said it probablt won't make very good boards because it had too many cat faces. Oh well, maybe I'll find something better next time.

Not necessarily... one mans trash is anothers treasure in the woodshop depending on what you're making from that wood. Not every project needs or even always benefits from the highest grade board. As long as you keep away from bark inclusions, those catfaces can hide some very interesting boards with all kinds of fancy grain going in different directions that really stands out in some projects.

Slice it up, let it dry and you might be surprised at what you get from that log.

Latest posts

Back