oak problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitenack

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i planted a red oak late this winter. it is 12'? tall, about 2" in diameter. It only produced tiny leaves, about 1-2" long. For about the past month, i have really started watering liberally, thinking maybe that has had something to do with it. Since then, the leaves have turned completely brown and crispy. The tree is planted on a new lot with hard clay soil. However, we planted a red maple in a similar area, and it has not had any problems.

Is there anything i can do?

You probably killed it with kindness. It was stressed and then you gave it too much water.

Red maple (with green leaves) is so water loving one coloquial name is "swamp maple". Hard to dround them.

I would do a perc test and a pH test to see if red oak is suitable for the site. Also contact the vendor/installer may be a warrenteed product.

Unfortunately, there was no warranty because we bought from a wholesaler and installed ourselves. Upside: got a great deal; Downside: no warranty.

What is a perc test? Who can/will do it?

Cut back on watering, check on a schedule, water as needed. Maintain moist soil conditions not wet. Use a finger like apotted plant.

Maybe it will come back with a second flush of leaves.:confused:

If it turns out that it is not the soil or climate, what should i have done differently? Obviously hold off on the excessive water. But should I plant it in the fall instead of late winter? Anything else i might have missed?

Late sumer after the heat stays down is always the best time to plant. the tree will get a long time to put out roots before it has to face the heat of sumer.

Inspect on a schedule, water as needed, use a finger to check moisture as with a potted plant. Maintain moist soil conditions not wet.

Back